As the Year of Natural Scotland comes to a close, Argyll and the Isles Tourism’s Nature’s Paradise initiative – with its partners, Artmap Argyll, Forestry Commision Scotland and the Glorious Gardens of Argyll & Bute – keeps the flame burning in a series of six Art Workshops at memorable and appropriate venues.
The series starts on 12th October with a stand in the Argyll and the Isles Tourism area at the Scottish Boat Show at Inverkip on the Ayrshire coast.
At each of the workshops, everyone interested can, on the spot, with artists and materials to hand, try ceramic mosaics, glass etching, weaving with nature and charcoal drawing – with their creativity inspired by where the workshop is taking place.
The six sessions take place between 12th and 19th October and are open between 11.30 and 15.30 on each occasion.
So where are they going to be – after the first one at the Boat Show?
- 13th October is in the Visitor Centre at Mount Stuart on the Isle of Bute – with its glorious landscaped grounds wrapped around the building and visible through its generous expanses of glass.
- 15th October is at the Loch Melfort Hotel and the adjacent Arduaine Garden, with the lovely Loch Melfort and the celebrated west coast garden on hand for inspiration.
- 16th October is in Benmore Botanic Garden north of Dunoon – with the rare avenue of Giant Redwood trees, the bridge over the river looking down through clear water to its lovely gravel bed, with the Benmore blend of formality and informality an inspiration of its own [and, in our humble but over-experienced opinion, the best ever Victoria Sponge in its cafe].
- 18th October is at Corachie Clematis at the Taynuilt end of the Pass of Brander – with its steep weather shaped slopes plunging into the narrows of Loch Awe running to the barrage on the River – and with Ben Cruachan towering above.
- 19th October is at the Tree Shop beside the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar at the head of Loch Fyne – with the long view down the loch in one direction and the tumbling hills of the moody Glen Fyne in the other.