Two levels of officers in the Education Department at Argyll and Bute Council appear to be being obliterated at a stroke.
These are said to be the Educational Support Officers and the Technical Support Officers.
It is also being said that those officers are being ‘sent back to the classroom’ with some having had no classroom experience whatsoever for the past decade and more.
This morning, on receipt of this information, we have asked Argyll and Bute Council the following questions:
- How many officers are concerned, at each level?
- Are they – any or all of them – going back into the classroom?
- If they are, in what capacity will they be doing this?
- Are they all trained teachers or would they go in as Classroom Assistants?
- Are there vacancies available on the classroom side?
- Is there loss of salary involved?
- What will their pension positions be?
- Can they opt for redundancy?
- Will some have their workplaces relocated?
If the information we were given – from an authoritative source, is correct, the answers to these questions will be readily available and we have asked for a prompt reply on what is a matter of public interest and personal concern.
We will publish the council’s response when we get it.