Comment posted on Will a (subsidised?) £10k buy SPR calmer waters in Tiree? by Karl Hughes
Not quite true…the kids at the school got a petition together and I asked SPR if they would consider it…it would have been a legacy and have had nothing to do with the long term outcome of the array…whether they stayed or whether they had left…given we have had 2 years of pressure on tiree it would have been a token getrure that would have been totally independent of the proposa, and a thanks for all the hassle this is causing…they could have built it out of left over carbon fiber blades. It would have been built by local builders..Whom ever you are this is a very cheap shot. Another point SPR spout that local jobs will be created by the array…yet they will not state how many 1 so far….local jobs that might keep one or two kids on the island rather than have to move away…fair enough another soggy carrot…renewables training ! come on if the array hopefully does not go ahead and one or two have had training they are going to move away…kind of defeats the object no? If they wanted to do something for the community on a non-bias basis…they could have got the school painted…funded a full time music teacher (ours is to be hopefully funded by Tilley) Music on Tiree is a cultural root that needs support. Wind energy is a “blow in” bulldozer to the Tiree culture.
Karl Hughes also commented
- Please wake up and smell the coffee. this is 6 quid a year for each person on tiree…a short term hand out of baubles, an insult.it has no lasting value to the community, is transient and vacuous.They have been causing distress for over 2 years…the people of tiree deserve respect. What ever side of the wind farm argument they are on.if this is the first time you have posted on this subjec…i suggest you troll your way back through the posts as interjecting at this point has as much value as the SPR crumbs from the corprate table.
“However objecting to something like this benefits no one, creates unnecessary unpleasantness for all involved, and drowns out legitimate complaints and worries that others may have”…the voice of reason based on a veneer of knowledge of the facts ?…You don’t by the way work for SPR or have a Tiree connection in Balevullin do you ?
“For the sake of everyone who is interested in this project, both for and against, please continue to raise issues where issues lie, but stop your attack on things like this.” This is an issue my friend…check out how these multi nationals work…they all have the same MO. this is the thin end of the wedge.
- Tim. If while SPR are inter’fear’ing with our lives at every level they want to show some community payback…they would do far better to solve some of the problems that already exist on the island…problems that effect us already. 10,000 quid could make a difference to all the kids at the school. They have no intention of spending another dime once they pack-up and move on. 10,000 quid from a company the employs 33,000 people should be less than their weekly paper clip bill. A&Bc is broke, the school is a mess…it is the school that keeps Tiree vibrant my lads are 5 and 11, what use is this cash to there next years at school…bugger all. Please look at the moral behind this not the amount.
- A playpark has nothing to do with a playpark..well done.Poor me?
I am sure you would have liked a few hundred extra quid when you was studying…Renewables was it? Fact is we have 90 kids on the island and one playpark away from where most of the kids live…the area in question is Pier View. If you live on Tiree it’s the place where the kids play in the street…it’s also where the young mothers have to push prams and take kids along the busiest road on Tiree…you must have noticed the potholes? no foot path…you must have noticed the way ferry traffic backs up behind them on the way to the shops. Come on they are children.Final fact is Tilley will probably pay for it…community wind not multi-national carpet baggers.
- Who knows ? Webcraft. We will find out soon enough. Even if they had said we will sponsor one pupil each year for the next 10 years it would have shown an act of corprate responsibility…I’m still trying to get over this, frankly, joke. Maybe they know that the array is beat by the environmental aspects/technical aspects/fiscal aspects…seems a very odd gesture.
Laughable really, I have just bought a 16m x 4m extra bit of ground behind one of our houses for 10,000 quid from the duke, and it never made the “who owns scotland” web space
- Works out at 12.8pounds for each islander..thanks SPR you have offered to by a round of drinks…bloody cheek! Shows how much Tiree means to these people. Maybe they would have paid a little more if the Spanish economy wasn’t so bad.
Recent comments by Karl Hughes
- Light plane missing in east Loch Etive area
Wrong time to be speculating …
- Light plane missing in east Loch Etive area
- Price of Salmond’s London ego-tripping is opposition kerchings in Scotland
Its a fact that the SNP can expect to win the majority of Scottish seat… and lets face it the tories, libs and labour now have have little power north of the border…
I believe in the Union…always will… but I also believe in decentralisation through out the whole of the uk…London is a state of its own… and its time a British parliment was re- established else where…Lancaster ???? Manchester ??? Leeds ???
If it takes the SNP to change British politics, and drive the decentralisation I crave I am happy with that… but like I say I will always vote for Union…
My fear for the elections is not that the SNP will hold the balance of power…but that of a Labour/ SNP coalition… I would be pleased with a Tory / SNP coalition because we need brains and braun… not yawn and braun.
A vote for the SNP would be a vote for change throughout the whole of the Union and throughout messed up politics in general, I would hope ?… they get my X in the box this time around to represent our country…but don’t expect a X in any future referendum other than to say NO.
A bit of a shame that FA has become an anti SNP rag…. the polar opposite of WOS etcetera… there seems to be very little unbiased journalism available on the web anymore….
- Council Planning Committee meeting on 21st January promises to be lively – as 2 MSPs call for postponement
I voted NO….and do not see us been led by a bunch of “cheats”…. I see us been led by a democratically elected UK government….
In regards to the SNP, they are a nationalist cause, always will be…and I accept that…. you have to accept that 55% voted NO…against indy and that the majority have to be seen as right…. get over it and move on….
SNP will take a majority in Scotland….and the rhetoric will continue….as for using this majority in some sort of westminster coalition … it ain’t gonna happen.
- North Sea caught in a nutcracker
The oil battle is one thing….lets see if Saudi remains a stable entity…full stop.
powered by SEO Super Comments