I can’t say specifically what the A&B press …

Comment posted Good appointment to council press office by Integrity? Not in theCondemall.

Dealing with media enquiries.
Producing internal and external communications including things like staff magazines, and also keeping people like MSPs, us punters, other partners etc informed about services and issues.
Maintaining the council website.
Managing the ‘brand’ of the council to ensure consistency.

It is actually an important part of a council and effective if managed well.

Recent comments by Integrity? Not in theCondemall

• BBC indy debate: incoherent uncontrolled unedifying bear pit
    Oops – thanks JnrTick – hell what’s a thousand or so billion between friends!!

It would be interesting to get some sort of breakdown or how the debt has been accumulated. i.e. how much for roads, how much for public buildings, how much for weaponry etc etc and see how that is approximately split across the members of the UK.

Clearly it wouldn’t be to the penny but a ballpark would be interesting for all parties. Not sure how readily available that information is.

• BBC indy debate: incoherent uncontrolled unedifying bear pit
    The whole ‘No assets, no debt’ argument seems a little simplistic to me as it seems to be suggesting that the only asset is the BoE/Currency.

The bit I am missing (and I mean this as a genuine question looking for a proper answer rather than a YES or NO rant – far too many of which we are now seeing) is what happens to the assets in Scotland that were paid for out of the debt Scotland would be refusing to take on?

The national debt is something crazy I know (something like £1.5 billion – total monopoly money to the likes of us!!) however it has been accumulated over many years to afford many different things – some more palatable than others!

As borrowing is for capital purposes and as this is a UK debt then it is surely fair to say that some of that debt has been accumulated for capital purposes which physically exist in Scotland. Does that mean an independent Scotland gets to refuse to take on its share of the debt AND want to keep any assets that that share of the debt afforded?

Normally physical assets will be divided based on geography and that makes perfect sense. But does it still make sense if those physical assets were built through capital borrowing and one party is not going to service that financing anymore.

Surely we are not just talking about financial assets? I know the SG are talking about a share of net assets which includes physical assets.

My apologies if this has been debated elsewhere and I have missed it.

• BBC indy debate: incoherent uncontrolled unedifying bear pit
    My gut feeling is that Salmond did more interrupting but to be honest I haven’t the interest or the patience to watch it again and count! It would be a little like bickering over whose kid dotted the ‘i’ in the graffiti they both put on the school wall! They were both petulant brats with it getting worse and worse as the event went on.

Darling’s pointing was embarrassing to see. Salmond’s smirking was utterly childish. they both interrupted plenty of times and then the final session was shambolic. It would have been fitting if someone walked on, took them by the ear and dragged them off the stage wincing.

Anyone in the SNP/YES campaign or anyone in the BT/NO campaign is proud of either Salmond or Darling’s performance last night then they are content with political leaders who I wouldn’t want running a scout group let alone a country.

• BBC indy debate: incoherent uncontrolled unedifying bear pit
    I couldn’t agree more. it was embarrassing to watch. if, as was claimed on the show, the eyes of the world are on Scotland then I sincerely hope their TVs were off!

Both participants should be ashamed of themselves this morning. In particular the session at the end where they got to cross examine each other was reminiscent of two school kids arguing over who got first pick last time.

Darling got far too annoyed and resorted to childish pointing and constant repetition and Salmond spent more time pulling childish smirks, interrupting and bungee jumping around the stage.

Both of them were totally pathetic. I said before on here that I find these debates a total waste of time and rarely do I watch them. I wish I had stuck to that principle last night.

As for who ‘won or lost’ – Christ if that is anyone’s idea of a winner you must have helped Ally McLeod pick his world cup squad!

• 19th September and after
    But we are regularly told that a vote for independence is not a vote for Salmond (or the SNP) which I agree with.

Therefore surely a vote for the union is not a vote for any potential future Prime Minister.

Bit of cake and eat it going on here.

17 Responses to I can’t say specifically what the A&B press …

1. Congratulations on your appointment Aileen.

May I on behalf of the Museum thank you for your interest and assistance in our activities.

A new opportunity for you with which I wish you every success.

Kindest regards.

2. Newsie, is that the same Dunoon Observer that you exclusively revealed was due to close before Xmas last year??

“bunker mentality and dubious practices”? Pffft.

3. Is this also the same Dunoon Observer that doesn’t report on fatal accidents and never seems to follow up on stories that do not involve ferries?

• Well said JimB. You’re not the only one who notices that the Observer never follows up on reported stories. Most frustrating. This weeks paper was all police reports and courts, golf and bowls ! Then again baybe nothing happened……….

4. Good appointment. Aileen is a well known and respected journalist in Argyll, big loss for the Dunoon Observer but ABC needs the quality in these positions. Don’t imagine this administration will give her the same amount of fire fighting the last lot created.

5. When the Jo Smith saga eventually comes to some conclusion does this mean everybody who was abused by the press office under the various councillors and officials orders will get their day in court.Anything else is a complete waste of time.
    As a interested bystander what exactly does A&B,s press office actually do.

• I can’t say specifically what the A&B press office do but more generally a council press office’s duties will include the likes of:

Dealing with media enquiries.
      Maintaining the council website.
      Managing the ‘brand’ of the council to ensure consistency.

It is actually an important part of a council and effective if managed well.

6. Whilst I wish this lady success in her new appointment, I can’t help thinking that this indeed is a very safe appointment by the council. The Observer’s lack of criticism of A&B over the past few years has been obvious to all, no doubt guided by the fear that they may lose local government advertising (something that should have happened years ago!). Still, looking on the bright side, one less member of staff should help their dire finances.. and probably increase the coverage of golf and bowls!

7. Yes newsie, you are welcoming her now, but i wonder how long it will be before you turn on her when she doesn’t want to deal with you. Never mind, no doubt you can make up something and add a gate to the end of it. I wish the woman all the luck in the world, she will need it.

8. By the look of this site she’s got her work cut out. What few on here seem to have twigged is that Ms McNicol will be required to protect the council’s reputation, just the same as her predecessors will have tried to do. From what I’ve read of Argyll & Bute Council, it has been its own worst enemy, conducting some kind of witch hunt until it had nobody in place to prevent the complete car crash that was the Martha Payne/NeverSeconds fiasco. Ms McNicol is no longer a journalist, she has been employed to act as gamekeeper rather than poacher. No doubt, in due course, she will fall foul of the self-righteous vitriol all too apparent in this blog. Best of luck to her, I wouldn’t have touched the post with a barge pole.