In the annual delight of Scottish traditional music on tour with some of the best of the current young musicians, from Argyll and the Isles, the 2012 Ceilidh Trail can be caught on passage from the last days of July into August.
This year’s Ceildih Trailers are Twins Jamie & Anna MacDonald from Tiree; Eilidh MacFadyen – also from Tiree (last year’s ceilidh trailers did a workshop on Tiree which obviously paid dividends this year); Ruairidh Morrison from Oban; Becky Hill from Oban; Mairi Voinot from Lochgilphead, David Provan from Ardrishaig and Alex MacKechnie from Strachur.
They play a variety of instruments from pipes to accordion, whistle, fiddle, keyboards, clarsachs, guitar and drums – and they sing.
With the exception of Mairi Voinot and David Povan, the rest are all first timers on the Ceilidh Trail.
These youngsters did a week’s training at Plockton Music school in the beginning of July and are all good musicians.
The Ceilidh Trail is part funded by Argyll Leader, The Scottish Government, Creative Scotland,, Highland Council , HIE and Bord na Gaidhlig and CNAG.
The Ceilidh Trail on T0ur
- Friday 27th July, 19.30: Strachur Memorial Hall, supporting The Tannahill Weavers in Concert. Tickets £8 and £5 concessions.
- Saturday 28th July, 21.30 to 00.30: The Creagan Inn, ceillidh dance, Free.
- Sunday 29th July, 14.00: Balloch Folk Festival, Open Stage Spot. Free.
- Monday 30th July,: Crianlarich Village Hall, ceilidh and concert with Stirling Ceilidh Trail
- Tuesday 31st July, 19.30: Argyllshire Gathering Halls, Oban, family ceilidh and dance. Tickets £7, £5 concessions, Family (4) £20.
- Thursday 2nd August, 19.30: Whiting Bay Hall, Isle of Arran – family ceilidh and dance. Tickets £7, £5 concessions, Family (4) £20.
- Friday 3rd August, 19.30: Gigha Village Hall, Isle of Gigha, family ceilidh and dance. Tickets £7, £5 concessions, Family (4) £20.
- Saturday 4th August, 19.30: Easdale Island Hall, concert and dance. Tickets £7, £5 concessions.
- Sunday 5th August, 19.30: Ardkinglas House, concert – private function
- Monday 6th August 19.30: Kilmartin, concert.Tickets £7.
- Tuesday 7th Augusut, 20.30: The George Hotel, Inveraray, ceilidh session. Free.
- Wednesday 8th August, 19.30: Cullipool Village Hall, Isle of Luing, family ceilidh and dance. Tickets £7, £5 concessions, Family (4) £20.
- Saturday 11th Auugust, 19.30: An Talla, Tiree, family ceilidh and dance. Tickets £7, £5 under 16 and concessions.