Interesting…but a point of note on a couple of issues, are you suggesting we turn over productive land to bio fuels etc instead of food ?
I could be wrong but algal farming produces massive amounts of methane ? (but also eats CO2?)
I still feel reducing our 40%+ wastage of energy reduces our CO2 output etcetera by 40%+ and throwing a mix of energy into the pot would obviously reduce this further.
(The fastest clippers could give modern powered vessels a run for their money….Skipper: MacKinnon of Tiree/ship Taeping) Some interesting savings been made world wide with use of Para sails and incidentally solar sails)
Karl Hughes also commented
You should check out the MSDS on these products Webcraft…GRP/Carbon fibre are hardly worth the green spin you place on these products.
- NOTE: RareEarths:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18516461
I seem to remember also vast use of: Concrete/Steel/Copper in turbines
- I take it these are generic comments ? environmental impact is agreeably lower in some areas, however this has to be on a case by case basis…you should also take into consideration “Base Load” provision and the co2 implications involved…also look at the environmental impacts of pumped storage facilities as batteries (storage etc)…for example: the output of the proposed Argyll aka Tiree Array is on par with the total output of all of Scotlands Hydro/Pumped storage…are you saying that we should not consider the environmental implications of flooding more glens ?
We also have to take into consideration my solid NIMBY credentials in regards to the Tiree Array…
Does micro climate change caused by large wind powerstations fall into the classification of polution or climate change ?
Does displacement of species from heriditary breeding and over wintering grounds fall under the classifications of either: environmental destruction or environmental polution ?
Electromagnetic discharge from sub-sea cables disrupts/disturbs aquatic species, again is this environmental distruction or polution.
As was refered to in an earlier statement: flooding of Pacific atolls/flooding of lowlying land/global warming etc…There is every chance that if the Tiree Array goes ahead that Tiree will actually be the first island on earth to suffer from “warming or chilling” directly associated with industrial wind energy…this will make very interesting headlines for Joe public, but actually could have deep concequences for us out here on Tiree.
A final point: Aesthetics inc: Noise/Light polution…placing these (some say beautiful) gargantuan structures in our wilderness areas (including inshore waters) is a kin to visual destruction in itself…and on par with placing a quarry in Glencoe or putting a huge landfill in Ardnamurchan Crater…
Wind on an industrial scale is a bit like giving up alcohol for ones health and then becoming a smoker instead…
Take your blinkers off…wake up and smell the coffee
- I feel we have been here before Webcraft…Ref:GRP/Carbon Fiber. Re-cyling is one thing…production is another.
Recent comments by Karl Hughes
- School closures: Russell commits to centrality of educational benefit – without clarifying the current meaning of the term
Tiree has had a baby boom over the last 5 years…seems the intake in pre-5 is on the up…don’t have exact figures…but certainly the school is sustainable
- DVLA: one example of what demerging means
This is an article on re- processing…not generation ! FYI the Argyll Array estimated cost is 7.6 billion….thats before a milli amp is generated.
And there is Gas plus Englands own wind industrialisation…drive
The fact remains why would the rUK buy from Scotland when they can get it cheaper from across the Channel or their home market….we don’t even have the grid to export…who will pay for that…England, naw…dont think so.
- DVLA: one example of what demerging means
Scotland gets indy from the rest of the United Kingdom….and then outsources governance services across the border or to the EU….we pay more. DVLA and Currency just small ( LMAO ) examples….lets face it we are joined at the hip…the nationalist dream is built on insecurity and greed for the black stuff….what a burach…
When the oil goes…for whatever reason…Salmond thinks we can export electricity to the UK and EU from our swaths of turbines….why would anyone pay for this when they have secure energy in nuke.
The SNP are digging a large black hole that will be populated by quangos and empty promises, and capped by handouts and begging letters….LMAO
- First Minister’s call for ‘grown up politics’ countered by order – from the top
MR RUSSEL ,
Seems to me that the you have not made any point at all…simply squirmed your way into the political vacous speel that you and your ilk always revert to…Simply correct anything you see as subjective….Politics and politicians … your self included seem to have forgot you work for us…the folks who pay your wages…so earn your coffers and put some meat on the NEWSIE post……
- Helicopter unable to transfer patient from Oban Hospital on Thursday evening
And lets thank all junior doctors in Oban and further afield for working long hours for a pittance of reward…the helicopter crews for acting with continuing professionalism…and Tesco’s for their wonderfull prime pork sausages…..
Suggest MM reads the following before he blows a gasket.
powered by SEO Super Comments