Mind you – that depends on their being …

Comment posted Water Resources (Scotland) Bill introduced – issues arising by Dr Douglas McKenzie.

Dr Douglas McKenzie also commented

• You can pump and generate at the same time. From memory, there are four turbines in the turbine hall under Cruachan. You could have two pumping while two are generating though I’m not sure why that would be desirable.

As to the amount of wind that can be connected to the grid, I was under the misapprehension that there is a finite limit to how much wind can be connected but the experience from Spain suggests that, though there may be an upper limit, it is much higher than was previously thought and the answer is to have either lots of pumped storage hydro or to have excellent interconnectors so you can draw power from adjacent regions when wind generation in your own region is depressed.

Recent comments by Dr Douglas McKenzie

• Rustle with Russell
    More utter rubbish from Lynda Henderson. Have you actually spoken to Bob Allen? Whoever told you the story sold you a pup and in your arrogance you cannot admit to be wrong so you make up this story that he was persuaded not to resign.

Your position is completely untenable.

• Russell back in the bathtub, now trying to sink Keith Brown’s boat
    I’m afraid you condemn yourself by your own words. I don’t think that anyone reading what you have written here and the language you have used would conclude anything other than that you have a deep dislike for Mr Russell and that dislike is leading you to basically lose all sense of either proportion or impartiality. It doesn’t matter how well (or otherwise) you know Mr Russell you are clearly exercised by your interpretation of his actions and it is leading you well beyond the pale in what I would consider fair comment.

This vendetta against Mr Russell and the SNP is destroying FA’s credibility and I have to confess that I’m seriously considering whether or not to continue reading FA (which will cheer Malcolm up if nothing else). I for one am becoming increasingly disenchanted by the constant negativity and sheer nastiness that has crept into this blog. I say that with a lot more sorrow than anger because I think that FA could have been great and indeed still could but there has to be a degree of balance, civility and indeed humour. All we are getting here is bile and it is causing me heartburn.

• Russell back in the bathtub, now trying to sink Keith Brown’s boat
    To be honest, this post clearly shows that you are speaking from your personal dislike of Mr Russell rather than an unbiased analysis of the man. Phrases such as “publicity hungry coward” are well beyond what is reasonable comment.
  • Russell back in the bathtub, now trying to sink Keith Brown’s boat
    You don’t seem to understand the separation of a MSP’s duty to his or her constituency and their responsibilities as a Government Minister.

Yet again, this is another instance where a member of the Government can do no right: speak up and be condemned as “desperate” or stay silent and be accused of not serving your constituents’ interests.

It is just as well that Mr Russell has broad shoulders!

• Atlantic Islands Centre for Luing: biggest investment in island’s history
    Well done Luing – an inspiration to all of Argyll’s communities.

11 Responses to Mind you – that depends on their being …

1. Very interesting, trying to get my head round it, Tom Johnstone (After leaving Parliament he was Chairman of the Scottish National Forestry Commission (1945-48), Chairman of North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board (1946-59), Chancellor of Aberdeen University (1951-65) and governor of the British Broadcasting Board (1955-56).) led the way at one point for Hydro Power, I might be wrong, no public money was spent, the profit paid of the debt very quickly, then sold of cheaply by Thatcher to give us all cheap energy.

2. ‘since all modern stations use the pumped return system’ – if this is a suggestion that pumped storage is the order of the day, I’d be surprised because a good few recent hydro power projects seem to have been ‘run of the river’ which, by definition, can’t be pumped storage.

3. My understanding is there is a limit on how much wind power can be connected live to the grid, go above and the grid becomes unstable. Hydro powered by a dam is very stable and the limiting factor is the volume of water. Correct me if I am wrong but Cruachan has started pumping and generating at the same time and a new cavern is in the planning stage along with building a bigger dam. All hydro stations are being reassessed for environmental damage, in America some have been dismantled http://vimeo.com/31305629. There are many good solutions out there, some will not make corporation the profit and will undermined their monopoly.

• Are you sure about this, John? – pumping & generating at the same time doesn’t seem to make any sense, and building a bigger dam seems highly improbable, as 10% of the reservoir replenishment comes from feeder canals tapping streams around the mountain – and they’d be too low if the dam was higher, whereas there doesn’t appear to be room to enlarge the reservoir by building a new dam significantly ‘downstream’ from the existing one.
      It’s designed to sell power to the grid at times of peak demand, and replenish the reservoir by using cheap off-peak power to drive the turbines as pumps. Apparently it also provides an almost instant (2 minutes from standing, 30 seconds if spinning) emergency power supply to the grid to ‘kick start’ any other power stations in the event of a major shut-down preventing them from drawing the electricity from the grid that they would need to power-up again.

• Reading my comment does not make sense, but the whole nature of the market has evolved. When I was told they were pumping and generating at the same time I did not beleave either. Two different people have told me about the expansion, I know that still does not make it true. Hopefully someone in the known will correct me if I am wrong.

• Mind you – that depends on their being separate access tunnels to the turbines. If all turbines are fed by the same tunnel then you couldn’t pump and generate at the same time.

4. There are two tunnels feeding four generators and one tail race. So in theory two can generate and two can pump. Interesting to know the hydraulics of water flow in the tail race if they do pump and generate at same time. As I said its what I was told, yes I do find it hard to beleave, but the “unstable” wind generation has brought in a new vairable in to the market. Yet again someone in the know could correct me, years ago I read the maximum of wind power on a grid could only be 16% and then the excess would be exported to a more stable grid. Are we not being conected up to Norway. I may be getting my facts wrong, but there should be an open and transparent debate on energy production.

5. Stealth entry by the back door eh…you wee rascals.

As I said months ago the Scottish Government mean to flood more glens to provide pumped storage facilities for energy storage, energy generated by large commercial windfarms.
    Given the huge environmental footprint of resevoirs of any type…this needs to be taken into consideration when folk quote wind as having a small environmental footprint…it does not…whether we are talking conventional back up or pumped storage…large scale commercial wind causes large scale damage to our uninhabited more natural locations.
    I also hasten to add that the recently anounced connection to Norway will also use their spare storage facility or planned storage facility….much as Denmark is doing now…generate/export/store/release/buy back…madness.

6. EURELECTRIC position “Trade-offs between environmental legislation and the low-carbon agenda”The 2009 Renewables Energy Directive stipulates the need to support “the use of energy storage systems for integrated intermittent production of energy from renewable sources.” (wind) Yet regulatory obstacles such as disproportionate implementation and too broad interpretation of environmental legislation are impeding the further development of hydropower in Europe”

Again Euroelectrics position:”Policymakers must address the conflicting objectives of the low-carbon agenda and the environmental agenda”

So there we have it, the big businesses are trying their damdest to de-regulate or change current environmental legislation to allow damage to the environment…talk about madness…Not content with messing up the planet already…they intend to mess it up some more…please do not give me the cop out of “this is to protect the planet” what is the point in europe destroying more wilderness areas to counteract US/China/India emmissions when they are the current culprits. Bild a wind farm/sponsor a flooded glen !!!