Comment posted Tarbet and Luss en fete as Olympic Flame brushes Argyll by Alex W Tickell.
Intolerence? Not at all, simply a point of view shared, I’m sure, by many many more in Scotland. The Olympic flame, yes probably bring sections of communities together, sport tends to do this. When the comparison to the Golden Jubilee was made by Islay for ever I am sure I was not alone in noticing the lack of enthusiasm north of the border, wonder why?
Alex W Tickell also commented
- Regrettably we do have a mindless anti-English element who give the rest of us here in Scotland a bad name. Thankfully they are well and trully in the minority and hopefully will remain so. It’s all very well having a bit of sporting rivalry and friendly banter however, when it descends into nasty insults or verbal abuse simply because of your country of birth then this is very disappointing. This said, waving the National flag of your country be it England, Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland I don’t think should ever be deemed inapropriate or merit disdain.
- Spot on, during the Jubilee the Republicans joined hand in hand with in happiness & unity. Don’t know where you were in this country (Scotland) but here in Dunoon you were very lucky or unlucky depending on your viewpoint if you clocked a small red white and blue streamer fluttering from someone’s door handle or the odd elipse of bunting. Apologies if you are posting this from England or Northern Ireland as they appear to favour this abhorent circus and obviously brought people together in happiness and unity.
Recent comments by Alex W Tickell
- General election television debates
“The intelligent option would be to shelve the egos and not hold these glorifying contests at all. They are usually ill-chaired, evasive, personality-driven and deceiving”
This isn’t the point in your article but Yes they offer little in way of enlightening the unenlightened. Good capable challenging interviewers can prize more lines for us to read between from politicians than the combative stone throwing of politician v politician.
- Lifeline for wildlife – 5p per carrier bag in Scotland from today
People who believe consumers as a result of this new law having to take more responsibility when purchasing goods when faced with what to do with disposable bags, people now encouraged to recycle, to make a start to realising and understanding the consequences of our wasteful throw away society are “tree huggers”?
I am fully behind this law and the only criticism I’d aim in the direction of this government is what kept them. The small charge will be little deterrent for many but if it gets some questioning why it has been introduced then for them to consider being a more thoughtful ethical consumer then it’s a winner in my book.
- Out of control Salmond scores own goal on poll-tax
Full house in Lochgilphead to discuss way forward for Scottish independence movement and what can be done from A&B
Watch live from 1pm today
- Fight for SNP Deputy Leader pits future against past
Newsie, looking forward as you put it will inevitably involve another independence referendum regardless of who becomes Deputy FM.
I’d be interested to see anything which would help substantiate your claim that Stuart Hosie is “anti-English”, quite an accusation but not unsurprising coming from you tbh. We’ve been subject to some inaccurate downright nasty accusations before during now after this referendum.
Had you played this referendum with a straight bat instead of the hyperbolic smears directed and delivered with needle and detestation at those who opposed your view during this democratic choice we faced you stood a chance of retaining a larger readership than what you have today.
This site has lost many contributors that it needn’t have. Few of us, I would expect, have problems with this site’s right to have an editorial stance on independence, however, to make a comparison, I know of absolutely nobody who does support independence that purchases the Daily Mail for reasons such as their vulgar taunts about Alex Salmond and his wife being childless to name one off the top of my head. These same people are quite content to purchase many of the other anti-independence newspapers for the reason that most of the tabloids and broadsheets available do not allow a hatred for their opponents (SNP & YES supporters) cause to poison their entire output.
Still, maybe FA doesn’t need it’s share of contributors from almost half of the electorate.
- Sturgeon declares for leadership as YouGov says only 25-39 year olds showed majority for ‘Yes’
Thought that was quite funny you lot.
Sense of humour bypass?
powered by SEO Super Comments