Comment posted NeverSeconds: time to let Martha Payne recover anonymity by Robert Wakeham.
If it transpires that ‘the individual who made this decision’ was responsible for any other historic mistakes that have brought the council into disrepute, the question would be whether the council is descending into an unseemly witch hunt / scapegoating exercise or whether there are senior staff who must be ‘let go’ if our council is to retain its credibility and public respect. Hard times ahead for the councillors.
Robert Wakeham also commented
- Nothing like hijacking stories and picking out the juicy bits to prove that Senator McCarthy was right all along (to put it briefly)
- Nice to see some of Martha’s photos chosen, with some great music, to back the closing credits on last night’s BBC2 Newsnight, with reference made to the ‘Streisand Effect’
- Just for the record, people can hear Mr Sneddon being interviewed at length on BBC Radio5live at 11.25 yesterday (friday) morning and can draw their own conclusions.
- The dinner ladies were clearly ‘caught in the middle’, but have they really faced an onslaught, or is it mainly the last 24 hours intense publicity triggered by the council and aggravated by the irresponsibility of the Daily Record? Surely most people could see straight through this ‘newspaper’ and out the other side, and well beyond Lochgilphead anyone with half a brain knows full well it’s not the dinner ladies dictating the school meals policy. The Daily Mail was also selective in picking the original headline pictures, leaving out the healthier meal that Martha had also photographed. Both papers seem to have prioritised sensationalism over balanced reporting, and a bit of peace and quiet now sounds like a very good idea. I was absolutely amazed at the comments that the dinner ladies were left in tears at the press coverage, in fear of losing their jobs and even worried about being seen in the streets of Lochgilphead. It’s not the Salem Witch Trial all over again, is it? Having said that, there’s a very distinct distortion of Isaac Newton’s theory that every action causes an equal and opposite reaction – when it comes to the rapid spread of a sensational story in the age of the internet, every action seems all too often to be met with an unequal and excessive reaction.
Recent comments by Robert Wakeham
- Western Ferries’ Islay book launch: bringing the story home
He wasn’t talking about the ‘overland route’ – There are complaints of inadequate capacity to Islay, and he was talking common sense.
- Preferred route for A82 Tarbet to Inverarnan upgrade to be unveiled in September
- RMT CalMac talks get nowhere today
Given that the ferry routes are all essential ‘lifeline’ services, the government could declare ‘force majeure’ and tell RMT that they’d be well advised to stop damaging their customers if they don’t want to see ali their members on the dole and the ferries crewed – just as well – by well qualified and competent Filipinos.
If a trade union tried to shut down the trunk roads I wonder how long the government could afford to wait before declaring ‘force majeure’?
- Greece: Peston says ‘ECB expected to continue to refuse to rescue Greek banks’
Karl – the Greek attitude to the tax man is surely influenced by their sleazy governments down the years – bloated administrations devoted to lining the pockets of politicians and ‘fat cats’, and dispensing largesse to the faithful in the form of jobs.
Hopefully the current traumas – with undoubtedly worse to come – will be enough to trigger government reform (in or out of the Euro / EU) and a more responsible attitude to taxation.
Your anti-Greek diatribe is inaccurate and unfair – your postings are always worth reading, but take care you’re not joining the ranks of the ‘head-bangers’.
- Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh on Daesh: ‘If we are to make real progress tackling extremism we must stop it at source – and call it what it is’
Plenty of the ‘pious faithful’ down the years have been murderous headbangers, and I don’t think you can call this lot ‘infidels’ – they’ve got faith alright, of the vile variety.
I’d put my money on the moniker ‘So-called ‘Islamic State”.
powered by SEO Super Comments