I expect the new Lead Councillor on Education, …

Comment posted Major success for Argyll and Bute Council education staff and for Kilmodan school by Gerry Fisher.

Gerry Fisher also commented

• Yes – well done to EDOs, so why shouldnt all the QIOs become EDOs?
    And I hope that Neil McIntyre gets the answers to his questions quickly – I cant think of a good reason why he shouldnt.

Recent comments by Gerry Fisher

• Oban SNP horrified as local MSP sets up event competing with next week’s by-election
    Lucy – care to offer odds?
    And what limit would you put on the bet?
    Or wouldn’t you?
    You have a vote in Ward 5?
    I ask, because your position is not known to me – and like most of the others who “comment” here, you choose to do so anonymously. While the ballot is secret, and must remain so, I am not sure that those who comment adversarily or criticise a political point of view are due a reply if they choose to do so behind a curtain of secrecy.,
  • Gerry Fisher on Oban North and Lorn
    Richsrd: irrespective of your point above – see my answer before it , which stands as my position of principle.
  • Gerry Fisher on Oban North and Lorn
    I personally am in favour of wind farms, subject to local consultation and gains for the local community. I worry about the extent to which capital will go to the wind, before it can go to the tide and wave, because of techmological dalays in the latter energy source.
    Yes – with Sandy Taylor – a condition of my being the SNP candidate.
    As for the jobs at Faslane, the STUC report settled the jobs question for me. If you ask whether I would agree to Trident replacement subject to a bribe to Argyll and Bute, my only answer is that the money does not/ would not pay for the about-turn on principle., which I believe is the view of the majoeity in A and B, as well as the rest of this nation.
  • The For Argyll Ward 5 Challenge
    No Comments?
    No readers ???
    Newsroom – is this report which caused all these comments a piece of “NEWS” or one of “POLITICAL ANALYSIS” ? If the latter the reader should deserve to be warned/told before reading. If the former, then any level of professional standards would have demanded that the “facts” might have checked by somebody close to being able to know or verify them.And that would mean that the Convener of the Oban branch, or even myself as the candidate finally chosen (or accepted), might have had a call from someone in the “newsroom” to ask questions. not necessarily to believe the answers, but to perhaps adjust their presentation of the “facts” therefrom. I can tell your readers that nothing of the sort took place. So I have to warn your readers that much of the original piece is imagination, if not outright lies.

16 Responses to I expect the new Lead Councillor on Education, …

1. Yet another success for a school the previous administration, and in particular Cllr Marshall’s criteria, would have us believe is failing.

A little encouragement and a little support and our rural schools can, and do, demonstrate quite how effective they are and quite how well they deliver education.

2. So, is this Aileen Goodall one of these much maligned immprovement officers we keep hearing newsie and FA rubbishing??

Mmm??

• We could do chapter and verse on QIOs in general and in particular but it seems thrawn to do that right at the moment because our hope is that things will improve under new political guidance.

ARSN was always aware that QIOs follow instructions from their employer and indeed it was obvious that some were uncomfortable with the roles they had during the closure consultations, not least the dreadful scripts they had to read from (Vygotsky indeed!).

Now that there’s a new administration, we hope to see more of the kind of work Aileen Goodall is doing. Given all the negative tensions involved in the closure debacle, I’m sure it’s what our QIOs would rather be doing.

• Just checked our time logs. We posted the update at 08.23 and Simon’s comment to which Barmore 2 refers was posted at 09.09.
          Apologies.
          I had done this time log check myself and had not noticed the days, only the hours.
          Simon posted his comment on 3rd June at 9.09pm.
          Our update to the article was on 4th June at 08.23am.
          Lynda

3. It is certainly very interesting to hear what has been happening in Kilmodan.Has this been successful in the other schools across Argyll?
    I would love to hear from the teachers and support staff on the closure story now that they are allowed a voice without
    the threat of disciplne.Or have all the bosses seen the light.Still a lot of money being paid to the QIO,s or is this new title a change or additional staff?
    I would hope that the education department and Carol Walker,s so called leadership will be examined very quickly by the new council along with giving us the answers to spygate and Jo Smith.Is she still sitting at home being paid to get a sun tan.

• Well said Barmore 2. Kilmodan deserve our congratulations, as do all the wee schools who keep clocking up one prize or another for doing really special and wonderful work.

I reckon Argyll & Bute always had the best chance of implementing the Curriculum for Excellence because the wee schools already had to operate that way to an extent and the teachers really know how to make it work. Let’s hope they’re allowed to flourish now so the kids, and their communities, can move forward with security and confidence.

4. Yes – well done to EDOs, so why shouldnt all the QIOs become EDOs?

5. Regarding the update which reads ‘Auileen Goodall is an Educational Development Officer – not a Quality Improvement Officer. This keeps the pressure on the question of just what the very many QIOs at Argyll and Bute council actually do and whether that is worth what it costs us’

This is an important point of discussion. It would be interesting to know what are the remits of both roles and how much overlap is there. Based purely on title (which can obviously be misleading) they certainly appear to be roles which must have a lot of similar responsibilities. Are we getitng value for money from these two roles?

• I think the best people to enquire this with would be Head Teachers across Argyll & Bute and perhaps ask them to list the areas they have received help or have found QIOs and QIMs to actually have been a benefit to them.

I already know the thoughts of one area – so I would expect much silence to follow such a request.

6. Surely after the chaos of the rural schools proposed closures the points made by Integrity and Crazy in response to this story would be a great place to start for our new councillors The investigation into duplication of responsibility across the whole spectrum of council departments will surely follow.Jobs can be created and services improved if someone has the sense and guts to do it.

7. I expect the new Lead Councillor on Education, who knows his area of reponsibilty , possibly better than his appointed staff, to lay down the law to his staff as to policies and guidance. The days of paid staff laying down policy, and failing to give correct information to the elected members and the Council as a whole, are over. One such occurrence such as we have seen in the last few years will lead, I hope, not to resignations and “settlements” but to termination with no recompence. The first real test will probably come in the next 2 weeks with the report on Spygate and the dealing with the culprits in that affair.