I think the best people to enquire this …

Comment posted Major success for Argyll and Bute Council education staff and for Kilmodan school by Crazy She-Bat.

I already know the thoughts of one area – so I would expect much silence to follow such a request.

Crazy She-Bat also commented

• Well done Kilmodan! Great school, great kids and great community.

Recent comments by Crazy She-Bat

• PHEW. Scotland can sleep easy. Alan Reid says we can keep the pound.
    Oh well, if Alan says so, it must be true!

I really don’t know what all the stramash is about anyway – we already have our own Scottish money as anyone who has ever tried to pay for something in England with a Bank of Scotland note will testify.

“Aye, I got it fae a game a monopoly”

• Usain Bolt, the Times report and the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games
    I really don’t give a sh** if Usain Bolt said “sh**” – big deal.

Its not what I will remember when looking back at the Games in years to come. I was, admittedly, on the warpath when I was unable to get tickets and was hearing of loads of people who had tickets to 7 different events. I did almost run for the hills when the tartan puke-fest team outfits were unveiled (please let them wear something else for the closing ceremony!). The cringeworthy first sequence of the opening ceremony almost had me choking on my Tunnock’s teacake, but my family and I have been glued to the tv for the last week watching as many sports as we can. My kids have been going outside to play “Commonwealth Athletes” and have made their own little exercise regime. We’ve cheered on Scottish athletes, supported the others, not booed the English, even got a bit choked up last night seeing Hampden rocking to the Proclaimers (I hope that was seen by billions!).

Thing is, I have rarely felt so proud to be Scottish. I really don’t care about the semantics of if its Glasgow or Scotland’s games – the point is they have been excellent and a great advert for our country.

I’m proud to be Scottish. Proud to be from one of the “Home Nations” – and I am still voting “Yes”. I want decisions about my country made by people I’ve elected, not by English, Welsh & Northern Irish MPs – no offence to any of them. Sport has nothing to do with it.

Our country, our decisions.

• No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    I do agree with you in one respect Sceptic. Why have a Proclaimers song performed without the Proclaimers? Surely, we could have afforded the real thing!
  • No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    I stand corrected, however, I did watch it live and don’t remember seeing half of those shots. I can admit this is perhaps my error as it wasn’t until the following day, a video taken from within the crowd went out on social media that looks as if there is a great deal more flags. If I can find the video again, I will post a link.

I did forget to say in my original post, maybe Newsie could investigate the reports that the MOD were asked to provide a helicopter to fly over Parkhead so Salmond could jump out James Bond style with a big saltire parachute with “Yes” on it?

• No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    Wow! Been so busy hiding in the hills from the tartan overdose I missed this article!

Maybe because I am probably one of the commenters who lives a bit nearer to Glasgow than most, I have a completely different take on this?

1. Opening ceremony – Cringetastic! Highlights were the games being opened by 2 openly gay people and a male/male kiss seen by billions around the world. Although Karen “Shotgun Nostrils” Dunbar does my head in, it was a good idea to have them open the games considering its illegal to be gay in 42 of the 53 Commonwealth Countries. I also hear Eck has the rainbow flag flying instead of the saltire for the duration of the games.

2. Red, white and blue over the Girodome. Most Weegies see a totally different symbolism in this.

3. Wheel out the oldest, wrinkliest, auld duffer you can find to prove Scots are not genetically wired to die before they are 50. No I don’t mean Sir Chris Hoy’s uncle, I’m talking Rod Stewart. Sounds no bad for a guy that gargles with razor blades.

If you really want a story – ask yourselves why the Scottish crowd’s reaction to our team entering the stadium was not shown on the BBC? I’ve seen video on the dreaded Social Media of that moment and there is a sea of Saltires and Lion Rampants being waved all over the stadium. Why wasn’t that shown?

16 Responses to I think the best people to enquire this …

1. Yet another success for a school the previous administration, and in particular Cllr Marshall’s criteria, would have us believe is failing.

A little encouragement and a little support and our rural schools can, and do, demonstrate quite how effective they are and quite how well they deliver education.

2. So, is this Aileen Goodall one of these much maligned immprovement officers we keep hearing newsie and FA rubbishing??

Mmm??

• We could do chapter and verse on QIOs in general and in particular but it seems thrawn to do that right at the moment because our hope is that things will improve under new political guidance.

ARSN was always aware that QIOs follow instructions from their employer and indeed it was obvious that some were uncomfortable with the roles they had during the closure consultations, not least the dreadful scripts they had to read from (Vygotsky indeed!).

Now that there’s a new administration, we hope to see more of the kind of work Aileen Goodall is doing. Given all the negative tensions involved in the closure debacle, I’m sure it’s what our QIOs would rather be doing.

• Just checked our time logs. We posted the update at 08.23 and Simon’s comment to which Barmore 2 refers was posted at 09.09.
          Apologies.
          I had done this time log check myself and had not noticed the days, only the hours.
          Simon posted his comment on 3rd June at 9.09pm.
          Our update to the article was on 4th June at 08.23am.
          Lynda

3. It is certainly very interesting to hear what has been happening in Kilmodan.Has this been successful in the other schools across Argyll?
    I would love to hear from the teachers and support staff on the closure story now that they are allowed a voice without
    the threat of disciplne.Or have all the bosses seen the light.Still a lot of money being paid to the QIO,s or is this new title a change or additional staff?
    I would hope that the education department and Carol Walker,s so called leadership will be examined very quickly by the new council along with giving us the answers to spygate and Jo Smith.Is she still sitting at home being paid to get a sun tan.

• Well said Barmore 2. Kilmodan deserve our congratulations, as do all the wee schools who keep clocking up one prize or another for doing really special and wonderful work.

I reckon Argyll & Bute always had the best chance of implementing the Curriculum for Excellence because the wee schools already had to operate that way to an extent and the teachers really know how to make it work. Let’s hope they’re allowed to flourish now so the kids, and their communities, can move forward with security and confidence.

4. Yes – well done to EDOs, so why shouldnt all the QIOs become EDOs?
    And I hope that Neil McIntyre gets the answers to his questions quickly – I cant think of a good reason why he shouldnt.

5. Regarding the update which reads ‘Auileen Goodall is an Educational Development Officer – not a Quality Improvement Officer. This keeps the pressure on the question of just what the very many QIOs at Argyll and Bute council actually do and whether that is worth what it costs us’

This is an important point of discussion. It would be interesting to know what are the remits of both roles and how much overlap is there. Based purely on title (which can obviously be misleading) they certainly appear to be roles which must have a lot of similar responsibilities. Are we getitng value for money from these two roles?

• I think the best people to enquire this with would be Head Teachers across Argyll & Bute and perhaps ask them to list the areas they have received help or have found QIOs and QIMs to actually have been a benefit to them.

6. Surely after the chaos of the rural schools proposed closures the points made by Integrity and Crazy in response to this story would be a great place to start for our new councillors The investigation into duplication of responsibility across the whole spectrum of council departments will surely follow.Jobs can be created and services improved if someone has the sense and guts to do it.

7. I expect the new Lead Councillor on Education, who knows his area of reponsibilty , possibly better than his appointed staff, to lay down the law to his staff as to policies and guidance. The days of paid staff laying down policy, and failing to give correct information to the elected members and the Council as a whole, are over. One such occurrence such as we have seen in the last few years will lead, I hope, not to resignations and “settlements” but to termination with no recompence. The first real test will probably come in the next 2 weeks with the report on Spygate and the dealing with the culprits in that affair.