Saturday 23rd June will see no fewer than nine swimmers take on the legendary Corryvreckan whirlpool between the isles of Jura and Scarbha to raise funds for the charity, Houses for Heroes Scotland.
Peter Minshall,whsoe idea it was and who had committed himself to the swim regardless, has just let us know that he will now be accompanied by eight other fit and good-hearted maniacs.
In a vote of confidence in the safety of the adventure, Mr Minshall has been accepting applications from members of his own family.
He names the eight as:
- my 17 year old son William (just left Tarbert Academy and presently a Life Guard at Lochgilpead Community Pool);
- my younger brother Tim;
- with two of his Argyll students at Cambridge University, Emma and Douglas Byatt;
- Tarbert’s Tony Barker and Andy Peden;
- Colin MacFarlance from Lochgilphead;
- and another ex-Royal Marine coming all the way from the south of France, Jonathan Reah.
Peter Minshal; says, gnomically: ‘We’re taking the gnome Hērōs with us…’.
Images of training for the event and other details are available here on the Houses for Heroes website.
This is a charity in need of support and hugely worth supporting. It is working to secure the future for veterans of the armed forces who have been damaged during dangerous duty done in the name of this country.
Please do all you can. We’ll keep you posted on developments.