Awww thanks for thinking of me but alas …

Comment posted SNP’s Coalition for Progress now has a majority – 19 councillors by JayC.

Recent comments by JayC

• Argyll and Bute Council: the empire strikes back with Argyll facing worst of all options
    Totally agree. The public should not forgot those elected reps who betrayed their communities …. Dunoon Ferry broken promises spring to mind!
    Interesting therefore that the SNP is relying on these “weak” councillors to form an administration. Is that how the SNP group view their prospective fellow colleagues? I’m sure Councillors Philand and Freeman will note that view or perhaps have noted it already as evident in the proposed spokespersons /chair allocations. If ratified tomorrow the new SNP led administration will be heavily reliant on these so called “weak” independents not just to make the numbers up but to lend some wise counsel to what is a very inexperienced and not so unified group.
    That’s a relief, for a short while I thought we were going to be denied the opportunity of witnessing a few of the educated, experienced and highly principled “New Dawn” in action. CSB if you’re looking for a home for your popcorn I suggest the MAKI area, the Area meetings will be well worth watching…. Robert maybe even worth the walk into town when being held in Lochgilphead -watch you dont get knocked down tho.
    If an Independent uses their Kingmaker status to secure an investment in their own area or to immediately address their constituents area of concern and joins the “empire” as a result then that’s politics. I’m sure people (their own constituents) will remember them but not for the reasons suggested on here. I’m surprised that none of the other independents have used this tactic, maybe a tad naive. Also perhaps the rather unfortunate published spokespersons list just reinforced the fact that in an SNP coalition there were really just making up the numbers. Squeaky bum time as Sir Alex would say!
  • School Meals saga: Council distorts facts and blocks Martha’s blog
    Yes that’s what I’m saying. Just checked the FTSE and seemingly Croquettes are the new ‘potato gold’. Get in there quick – there’s a quick buck to be made before all LA’s withdraw from their respective contracts and go local.

39 Responses to Awww thanks for thinking of me but alas …

1. A new dawn – I just hope that the SNP group don’t ever forget that once upon a time they were in bed with Walsh & co, and resist any future temptations to make inappropriate pacts with unsuitable partners – or their past will come back to haunt them.

• The example of the Alliance should never be forgotten in terms of a descent into ‘anything goes’ that should never be replicated.
      The best guarantee is Roddy McCuish’s nature which has been steadfastly honest. The challenge for him will be to hang on to that in the face of anything – and that is bound at some point to bring its difficulties.
      We have all seen politicians who have become little more than holograms after selling off any semblance of integrity. It is hard – now – to imagine the straightforward Roddy McCuish committing or permitting any departure in that direction.
      We will be as much on watch with this administration as with any other. And, as we have said, the presence of the Argyll First group is both reassurance and canary.
      It is not the number of bodies in the coalition that matters, it is the substance of those bodies.

2. Crazy; Hope you’ve got your tin hat on for when the surfers and trolls start throwing their toys out of their cots!!
    Voters in Dunoon have a clear choice now, conflict or Coalition for Progress.

3. No fair!!
    There goes my hope of a SUPER School based in H’burgh which can accomodate 199000 children from sunday evening to friday afternoon.
    Mortons? are you reading this??

4. Hooray for the coalition and the honest-as-the-day-is-long postie McCuish. Looking round the virtual room containing them all I see so many people I trust. I can’t remember when we last had a council ruling group I could say that about! Now I am going to burn their ears off about protecting our amazing heritage and celebrating our astounding culture. Who will they get to lead that particular charge?

• you will not be alone Catherine… there was plenty of support for what we have in the landscape around us this weekend by the Scottish Place Names Society conference.
      Some of us may only be small voices but together we have the most vital message to shout about.

5. To quote Private Fraser,”We’re doomed”.

I predict that turnout in Cowal will be very low. The exercise will be largely pointless.

It certainly raises the question of whether in the case of the death of a candidate the whole council election should be postponed and not just the ward.

6. OK, wishlist time! Who do we want in the leadership roles?

I think George Freeman should definitely get some kind of leaders post back for all that he lost and gave up.

We need able people to deal with the Officers who unexplicably think they are in charge – hahaha – to be a fly on the Kilmory walls this morning!

Answers on a postcard

7. Friday evening I was feeling a bit deflated with the results. Come Monday and I am euphoric. Same results but a different outcome. I am so glad that Cllr Elaine Robertson has joined the Coalition (the good one that is!). She is held in great respect in North Argyll but her membership of the Alliance was straining relationships. Early signs that Roddy is going to make an excellent leader of the Council.

8. What a breath of fresh air we now have to get the good guys back in Cowal on Thursday and really give Dick Welsh the message closed door nepotism in our council is finished

9. Great news. Hope they put James Robb in charge of the Helensburgh and Lomond Area Committee.

Small point: Rosneath’s Robert McIntyre is not new to local politics. He represented Rosneath and Clynder on a previous local authority.

10. Good morning folks how about some predictions.
    Dick Walsh will pull out of the election on Thursday as he would rather do the garden now.
    Duncan MacIntyre will retire and buy a boat to tour the west coast looking for potential pontoon sites.
    By election in the North and with the backing of Lowry and JayC, Donald Melville will sail in with the help of his new kayak.
    Or will Easdale go for Independence and elect Duncan as El Presidentee? Who said life in Argyll was quiet, all we need now is Trump moving to Tiree to build a new golf course and Murdock to buy the Oban Times and we have the lot.
    Power to the People.

• Awww thanks for thinking of me but alas I’m in the wrong ward for my vote to count. Power to the people, well 93% of them anyway! Have a nice day.

11. I would not be so hasty. Mr Walsh has, in the past, shown himself to be a very shrewd operator. And it is not unheard of for people who did think they would go with one grouping to then change their minds.

So while this McCuish coalition looks *probable*, I would wait until after the Dunoon count before cracking open the bubbly.

12. For Neil MacIntyre and Mairi, there are some members of the Alliance who are “person non grata” and who would not be welcomed into the new coalition. Prior to Friday there were six. That has now reduced to four. It does not take a genious to work out who they are.

13. Hi DB, your “drunken lecture” and the advice from other community contacts on Friday and Saturday would have helped. I did spend some time on the phone late on Saturday night and standing on Peaton Hill on Sunday morning explaining the various options to Robert. I have no doubt that along with me, he has taken the best decision as far as his constituents are concerned. After all, it is our communities and our constituents who are the most important people.

14. Well, well – it looks like a new administration in Kilmory. The best of luck to them – given the challenges the area faces – they’ll certainly need it.

15. I hope the new coalition brings the new approach that Kilmory needs and the correct persons are given the jobs that will turn round Argyll and Bute and help people who elected this new grouping