Okay, I read that just in case memory …

Comment posted SNP’s Coalition for Progress now has a majority – 19 councillors by Anne Baird.

Okay, I read that just in case memory had abandoned me and I deem you to be either offensive or plain uninformed.

Anne Baird also commented

• LOL! I’ve no idea who’ll be in charge of education but I’ll warrant if it’s Isobel Strong some council officials could be feeling very sorry for themselves!

Recent comments by Anne Baird

• Managed protest at Pacific Quay shames pro-indy campaign
    Please don’t define a whole party on the basis of one person who may or may not be a member. There are many of us with positive things to say who aspire to a better future for all Scots. We may disagree how that might be achieved, but most of us are acting in good faith.
  • No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    Richard, I totally take on board that there are two sides to that story and am no great fan of Hamas either, but you only have to look at the difference in the map between 1949 and now to see who’s under threat in Israel/Palestine. The horrible reality is that there are 250,000 kids in an area not quite the size of the Uists and they’re all under fire with nowhere to run. Many aren’t old enough even to know they’re Palestinian and they deserve protection regardless of what the adults around them are up to. I don’t see that as bias and, if it is, I share it with Amnesty International and have done for most of the thirty years I’ve been a member.
  • No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    Our shorter life expectancy is a complex issue and unlikely to be addressed by the simple means of free prescriptions. The longer term issues can only be addressed if we have the powers to change them. Did you really expect any government, SNP or otherwise, to reverse a trend that’s often determined in childhood?
  • No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    I’ve not been interested in complaining about the BBC. They’re doing exactly what I expected and my time is better used putting forward the positive case for independence and reassuring frightened pensioners. The timing of the protest however was nothing to do with the games.

Of far more concern is the BBC’s failure to address the truly harrowing scenes from Gaza where human rights abuses are most certainly taking place, or indeed the protests of a 150,000 strong group of Jews in New York against Israel’s behaviour. Many other protests globally have also gone unreported. Jon Snow’s reports for channel 4 have been the only truly balanced reports.

Nor did they report on any of the anti-austerity protests in London which attracted a similar number. I’m not sure why I thought it was ok for them to have a bias in our wee Scottish scenario, but I’m pretty appalled that they have a bias for the Tory/Lib Dem cuts and the Israeli government.

• United Kingdom government invests £500M in £1.13BN scheme for Glasgow and hinterland
    Robert, I do take that point but the losses were savage and nothing much was done to help the redundant workers. It didn’t help that some of them, like British Steel, were relocated. In the fifties they built Possilpark to house the railway workers from Cowlairs and the Caledonian works at a time when 85% of the world’s total rolling stock was produced there. It closed completely in the seventies and the results are infamous. So you could see it all coming when the casualties started to pile up in the eighties. To add insult to injury the unemployed were treated like scroungers – men and women who had taken a pride in working and paying their NI and tax. Then the poll tax. By that time they were damned if their kids were going to pay for bad housing and a future of unemployment or the army and the inch thick electoral registers were replaced with thin ones. These disenfranchised people are now signing up in their thousands to vote and I doubt very much that will go Cameron’s way whatever bribes he brings.

39 Responses to Okay, I read that just in case memory …

1. A new dawn – I just hope that the SNP group don’t ever forget that once upon a time they were in bed with Walsh & co, and resist any future temptations to make inappropriate pacts with unsuitable partners – or their past will come back to haunt them.

• The example of the Alliance should never be forgotten in terms of a descent into ‘anything goes’ that should never be replicated.
      The best guarantee is Roddy McCuish’s nature which has been steadfastly honest. The challenge for him will be to hang on to that in the face of anything – and that is bound at some point to bring its difficulties.
      We have all seen politicians who have become little more than holograms after selling off any semblance of integrity. It is hard – now – to imagine the straightforward Roddy McCuish committing or permitting any departure in that direction.
      We will be as much on watch with this administration as with any other. And, as we have said, the presence of the Argyll First group is both reassurance and canary.
      It is not the number of bodies in the coalition that matters, it is the substance of those bodies.

2. Crazy; Hope you’ve got your tin hat on for when the surfers and trolls start throwing their toys out of their cots!!
    Voters in Dunoon have a clear choice now, conflict or Coalition for Progress.

3. No fair!!
    There goes my hope of a SUPER School based in H’burgh which can accomodate 199000 children from sunday evening to friday afternoon.
    Mortons? are you reading this??

4. Hooray for the coalition and the honest-as-the-day-is-long postie McCuish. Looking round the virtual room containing them all I see so many people I trust. I can’t remember when we last had a council ruling group I could say that about! Now I am going to burn their ears off about protecting our amazing heritage and celebrating our astounding culture. Who will they get to lead that particular charge?

• you will not be alone Catherine… there was plenty of support for what we have in the landscape around us this weekend by the Scottish Place Names Society conference.
      Some of us may only be small voices but together we have the most vital message to shout about.

5. To quote Private Fraser,”We’re doomed”.

I predict that turnout in Cowal will be very low. The exercise will be largely pointless.

It certainly raises the question of whether in the case of the death of a candidate the whole council election should be postponed and not just the ward.

6. OK, wishlist time! Who do we want in the leadership roles?

I think George Freeman should definitely get some kind of leaders post back for all that he lost and gave up.

We need able people to deal with the Officers who unexplicably think they are in charge – hahaha – to be a fly on the Kilmory walls this morning!

Answers on a postcard

7. Friday evening I was feeling a bit deflated with the results. Come Monday and I am euphoric. Same results but a different outcome. I am so glad that Cllr Elaine Robertson has joined the Coalition (the good one that is!). She is held in great respect in North Argyll but her membership of the Alliance was straining relationships. Early signs that Roddy is going to make an excellent leader of the Council.

8. What a breath of fresh air we now have to get the good guys back in Cowal on Thursday and really give Dick Welsh the message closed door nepotism in our council is finished

9. Great news. Hope they put James Robb in charge of the Helensburgh and Lomond Area Committee.

Small point: Rosneath’s Robert McIntyre is not new to local politics. He represented Rosneath and Clynder on a previous local authority.

10. Good morning folks how about some predictions.
    Dick Walsh will pull out of the election on Thursday as he would rather do the garden now.
    Duncan MacIntyre will retire and buy a boat to tour the west coast looking for potential pontoon sites.
    By election in the North and with the backing of Lowry and JayC, Donald Melville will sail in with the help of his new kayak.
    Or will Easdale go for Independence and elect Duncan as El Presidentee? Who said life in Argyll was quiet, all we need now is Trump moving to Tiree to build a new golf course and Murdock to buy the Oban Times and we have the lot.
    Power to the People.

• Awww thanks for thinking of me but alas I’m in the wrong ward for my vote to count. Power to the people, well 93% of them anyway! Have a nice day.

11. I would not be so hasty. Mr Walsh has, in the past, shown himself to be a very shrewd operator. And it is not unheard of for people who did think they would go with one grouping to then change their minds.

So while this McCuish coalition looks *probable*, I would wait until after the Dunoon count before cracking open the bubbly.

12. For Neil MacIntyre and Mairi, there are some members of the Alliance who are “person non grata” and who would not be welcomed into the new coalition. Prior to Friday there were six. That has now reduced to four. It does not take a genious to work out who they are.

13. Hi DB, your “drunken lecture” and the advice from other community contacts on Friday and Saturday would have helped. I did spend some time on the phone late on Saturday night and standing on Peaton Hill on Sunday morning explaining the various options to Robert. I have no doubt that along with me, he has taken the best decision as far as his constituents are concerned. After all, it is our communities and our constituents who are the most important people.

14. Well, well – it looks like a new administration in Kilmory. The best of luck to them – given the challenges the area faces – they’ll certainly need it.

15. I hope the new coalition brings the new approach that Kilmory needs and the correct persons are given the jobs that will turn round Argyll and Bute and help people who elected this new grouping