18 months of effort and personal loss just …

Comment posted SNP’s Coalition for Progress now has a majority – 19 councillors by Integrity? Not in the Condemall.

18 months of effort and personal loss just became worthwhile. My kids have a better future and I look forward to them enjoying it.

Recent comments by Integrity? Not in the Condemall

• Michael Russell’s message to Argyll
    It is true that the politician with the GO button takes the bulk of the responsibility. On that theme I was discussing the banking collapse with a good friend the other day. He is a long standing SNP member of many decades. He did quietly acknowledge that Alex Salmond favoured relaxed regulations just us much, if not even more than, Gordon Brown however he made that same point, ultimately Brown oversaw it therefore carries the can. Too often politicians view on this flip flops depending on which way the fingers are pointing.
  • Michael Russell’s message to Argyll
    I don’t think so. Mike Russell was Education Secretary when it was implemented however it is was actually developed before he was appointed (in fact it has been in development for 3 or 4 years before he was appointed).

So you are right that criticism, or credit, for the CfE shouldn’t be entirely placed at Mike Russell’s door.

If I recall (and please do correct me if I am wrong) it largely got cross party support. There were some criticisms by Labour and the Lib Dems about the level of funding being invested in it and maybe the process of implementation but none of them were opposed to it as a concept.

• With her government team completed, how will Nicola Sturgeon’s set do the job?
    The reshuffle was absolutely necessary and would have happened even if Salmond hadn’t stepped down.

Neill and McAskill have had poor 18 months and Russell has been sidelined by his own party throughout the independence referendum.

A new leader will always want to make changes and set their own tone and direction. Maybe a little unfortunate that the ministers in charge of three major areas have had a period of relatively poor performance as changing all three at once is quite substantial.

However the new postholders deserve an opportunity to prove themselves, or otherwise, before being judged. For Scotland’s sake I hope they do well. Within reason I don’t care what party is in power as long as they deliver sound policy and properly represent the whole country.

• Totty rocks as new FM elected at Holyrood
    Fair enough Jnrtick. I of course acknowledge that the lyrics taken in isolation are racist. What I mean is I think the context they are sung in means they are not meant as a racist jibe but as the sort of football rivalry banter that has gone on for decades.

I am no tolerated of racism, very far from it. I just think we should be careful about mixing up genuine hate/intolerance with something far less serious.

Football has not had to seek out its troubles over the years and I think it, largely, has done a good job cleaning up its act. However I wouldn’t want to over sanitize it.

• Totty rocks as new FM elected at Holyrood
    JnrTick

I am not clear if you were at the game or are basing this on what you heard on the tele. If it is based on what you heard on the tele then I think there needs to be a strong health warning over any claim that it was only English fans who were singing songs that could be classed as bile. What you hear on the tele when watching football games is entirely down to where the camera crews and microphones are located in the stadium.

You surely don’t for one second, believe that a few thousand England fans outsung 60,000 Scotland fans do you?

In reply to your other comment on this thread I think the reason it wasn’t reported in the papers is because it is a son that has been sung up and down the country by football fans for years. Some time using the word ‘Scottish Bastard’, just as often using the words ‘English Bastard’

It has never really been considered a racist chant regardless of whether it has been sung by English or Scottish fans and I suspect if we hadn’t just been through the referendum the singing of it on Tuesday wouldn’t have raised any eyebrows.

Whilst I acknowledge it is a somewhat coarse song (most football songs are!) I see it as football banter and not racism. I don’t think Scotland fans are racist when they sing it, nor do I think England fans are when they sing it.

39 Responses to 18 months of effort and personal loss just …

1. A new dawn – I just hope that the SNP group don’t ever forget that once upon a time they were in bed with Walsh & co, and resist any future temptations to make inappropriate pacts with unsuitable partners – or their past will come back to haunt them.

• The example of the Alliance should never be forgotten in terms of a descent into ‘anything goes’ that should never be replicated.
      The best guarantee is Roddy McCuish’s nature which has been steadfastly honest. The challenge for him will be to hang on to that in the face of anything – and that is bound at some point to bring its difficulties.
      We have all seen politicians who have become little more than holograms after selling off any semblance of integrity. It is hard – now – to imagine the straightforward Roddy McCuish committing or permitting any departure in that direction.
      We will be as much on watch with this administration as with any other. And, as we have said, the presence of the Argyll First group is both reassurance and canary.
      It is not the number of bodies in the coalition that matters, it is the substance of those bodies.

2. Crazy; Hope you’ve got your tin hat on for when the surfers and trolls start throwing their toys out of their cots!!
    Voters in Dunoon have a clear choice now, conflict or Coalition for Progress.

3. No fair!!
    There goes my hope of a SUPER School based in H’burgh which can accomodate 199000 children from sunday evening to friday afternoon.
    Mortons? are you reading this??

4. Hooray for the coalition and the honest-as-the-day-is-long postie McCuish. Looking round the virtual room containing them all I see so many people I trust. I can’t remember when we last had a council ruling group I could say that about! Now I am going to burn their ears off about protecting our amazing heritage and celebrating our astounding culture. Who will they get to lead that particular charge?

• you will not be alone Catherine… there was plenty of support for what we have in the landscape around us this weekend by the Scottish Place Names Society conference.
      Some of us may only be small voices but together we have the most vital message to shout about.

5. To quote Private Fraser,”We’re doomed”.

I predict that turnout in Cowal will be very low. The exercise will be largely pointless.

It certainly raises the question of whether in the case of the death of a candidate the whole council election should be postponed and not just the ward.

6. OK, wishlist time! Who do we want in the leadership roles?

I think George Freeman should definitely get some kind of leaders post back for all that he lost and gave up.

We need able people to deal with the Officers who unexplicably think they are in charge – hahaha – to be a fly on the Kilmory walls this morning!

Answers on a postcard

7. Friday evening I was feeling a bit deflated with the results. Come Monday and I am euphoric. Same results but a different outcome. I am so glad that Cllr Elaine Robertson has joined the Coalition (the good one that is!). She is held in great respect in North Argyll but her membership of the Alliance was straining relationships. Early signs that Roddy is going to make an excellent leader of the Council.

8. What a breath of fresh air we now have to get the good guys back in Cowal on Thursday and really give Dick Welsh the message closed door nepotism in our council is finished

9. Great news. Hope they put James Robb in charge of the Helensburgh and Lomond Area Committee.

Small point: Rosneath’s Robert McIntyre is not new to local politics. He represented Rosneath and Clynder on a previous local authority.

10. Good morning folks how about some predictions.
    Dick Walsh will pull out of the election on Thursday as he would rather do the garden now.
    Duncan MacIntyre will retire and buy a boat to tour the west coast looking for potential pontoon sites.
    By election in the North and with the backing of Lowry and JayC, Donald Melville will sail in with the help of his new kayak.
    Or will Easdale go for Independence and elect Duncan as El Presidentee? Who said life in Argyll was quiet, all we need now is Trump moving to Tiree to build a new golf course and Murdock to buy the Oban Times and we have the lot.
    Power to the People.

• Awww thanks for thinking of me but alas I’m in the wrong ward for my vote to count. Power to the people, well 93% of them anyway! Have a nice day.

11. I would not be so hasty. Mr Walsh has, in the past, shown himself to be a very shrewd operator. And it is not unheard of for people who did think they would go with one grouping to then change their minds.

So while this McCuish coalition looks *probable*, I would wait until after the Dunoon count before cracking open the bubbly.

12. For Neil MacIntyre and Mairi, there are some members of the Alliance who are “person non grata” and who would not be welcomed into the new coalition. Prior to Friday there were six. That has now reduced to four. It does not take a genious to work out who they are.

13. Hi DB, your “drunken lecture” and the advice from other community contacts on Friday and Saturday would have helped. I did spend some time on the phone late on Saturday night and standing on Peaton Hill on Sunday morning explaining the various options to Robert. I have no doubt that along with me, he has taken the best decision as far as his constituents are concerned. After all, it is our communities and our constituents who are the most important people.

14. Well, well – it looks like a new administration in Kilmory. The best of luck to them – given the challenges the area faces – they’ll certainly need it.

15. I hope the new coalition brings the new approach that Kilmory needs and the correct persons are given the jobs that will turn round Argyll and Bute and help people who elected this new grouping