18 months of effort and personal loss just …

Comment posted SNP’s Coalition for Progress now has a majority – 19 councillors by Integrity? Not in the Condemall.

18 months of effort and personal loss just became worthwhile. My kids have a better future and I look forward to them enjoying it.

Recent comments by Integrity? Not in the Condemall

• Russell offers to meet Council administration to discuss Castle Toward
    Where are the direct criticisms of officers?

The standards commission takes those a lot more seriously than criticisms of councillors. Criticism of councillors tends to be considered largely as fairly typical political point scoring rather than a matter for investigation.

”Leaking information’ as a breach very much depends on provisions in legislation on what constitutes confidential and exempt information. Just because The Council hasn’t rleased it doesn’t make Cllr Breslin publishing it or making it available a definite breach of the code.

However, at the risk of sounding like Simon, if you are so convinced there has been a breach of the code then why not go ahead and report it? I note that the council’s chief executive has not done that yet, maybe she doesn’t feel there is grounds for a complaint. However you seem very sure so instead of rattling cages on a forum with no jurisdiction why not take it to the body that has that jurisdiction?

• Audit Scotland now conducting third consecutive investigation of Argyll & Bute Council
    I take your point about the permission not being rescinded making you feel it pointless pursuing the case. I know as well as anyone, and possibly better then most, how frustrating pursuing this sort of thing can be. I just recommend doing it if possible, if only to make things different in future.
    I would echo that Simon. It was my post in Malcolm’s video. I haven’t and wont offer an opinion on Malcolm’s issue for the same reason as you, that being that I haven’t investigated the issue in detail.

However speaking more generally I would always encourage someone who feels a council has behaved inappropriately to take their complaint to the correct body.

If, for arguments sake, Malcolm’s story stacks up in the manner he has presented it, then he has been poorly treate. Agreeing or disagreeing with him should have nothing to do with political viewpoints or any possible personal opinions on the personality. We can’t all like each other but we all deserve fair treatment by our council.

• The black arts of political spin betray SNP fears in Argyll & Bute
    And Bill Walker claimed just shy of £7,000 to pay for a hotel less than 30 miles from his home because he liked to have a drink and therefore couldn’t drive home!

Guilty people in every party. The sooner people accept that and start focusing on how to put things right rather than playing holier than thou about their own party the better.

• Russell offers to meet Council administration to discuss Castle Toward
    A councillor doesn’t have to declare an interest when meeting with a community group. A councillor is elected to represent the community,

As for sharing emails none were confidential, all would be made available via FOI.

Criticising officers specifically in public could be a breach but I thought most of Cllr Breslin’s criticisms were of Cllr Walsh? Have I missed something?

39 Responses to 18 months of effort and personal loss just …

1. A new dawn – I just hope that the SNP group don’t ever forget that once upon a time they were in bed with Walsh & co, and resist any future temptations to make inappropriate pacts with unsuitable partners – or their past will come back to haunt them.

• The example of the Alliance should never be forgotten in terms of a descent into ‘anything goes’ that should never be replicated.
      The best guarantee is Roddy McCuish’s nature which has been steadfastly honest. The challenge for him will be to hang on to that in the face of anything – and that is bound at some point to bring its difficulties.
      We have all seen politicians who have become little more than holograms after selling off any semblance of integrity. It is hard – now – to imagine the straightforward Roddy McCuish committing or permitting any departure in that direction.
      We will be as much on watch with this administration as with any other. And, as we have said, the presence of the Argyll First group is both reassurance and canary.
      It is not the number of bodies in the coalition that matters, it is the substance of those bodies.

2. Crazy; Hope you’ve got your tin hat on for when the surfers and trolls start throwing their toys out of their cots!!
    Voters in Dunoon have a clear choice now, conflict or Coalition for Progress.

3. No fair!!
    There goes my hope of a SUPER School based in H’burgh which can accomodate 199000 children from sunday evening to friday afternoon.
    Mortons? are you reading this??

4. Hooray for the coalition and the honest-as-the-day-is-long postie McCuish. Looking round the virtual room containing them all I see so many people I trust. I can’t remember when we last had a council ruling group I could say that about! Now I am going to burn their ears off about protecting our amazing heritage and celebrating our astounding culture. Who will they get to lead that particular charge?

• you will not be alone Catherine… there was plenty of support for what we have in the landscape around us this weekend by the Scottish Place Names Society conference.
      Some of us may only be small voices but together we have the most vital message to shout about.

5. To quote Private Fraser,”We’re doomed”.

I predict that turnout in Cowal will be very low. The exercise will be largely pointless.

It certainly raises the question of whether in the case of the death of a candidate the whole council election should be postponed and not just the ward.

6. OK, wishlist time! Who do we want in the leadership roles?

I think George Freeman should definitely get some kind of leaders post back for all that he lost and gave up.

We need able people to deal with the Officers who unexplicably think they are in charge – hahaha – to be a fly on the Kilmory walls this morning!

Answers on a postcard

7. Friday evening I was feeling a bit deflated with the results. Come Monday and I am euphoric. Same results but a different outcome. I am so glad that Cllr Elaine Robertson has joined the Coalition (the good one that is!). She is held in great respect in North Argyll but her membership of the Alliance was straining relationships. Early signs that Roddy is going to make an excellent leader of the Council.

8. What a breath of fresh air we now have to get the good guys back in Cowal on Thursday and really give Dick Welsh the message closed door nepotism in our council is finished

9. Great news. Hope they put James Robb in charge of the Helensburgh and Lomond Area Committee.

Small point: Rosneath’s Robert McIntyre is not new to local politics. He represented Rosneath and Clynder on a previous local authority.

10. Good morning folks how about some predictions.
    Dick Walsh will pull out of the election on Thursday as he would rather do the garden now.
    Duncan MacIntyre will retire and buy a boat to tour the west coast looking for potential pontoon sites.
    By election in the North and with the backing of Lowry and JayC, Donald Melville will sail in with the help of his new kayak.
    Or will Easdale go for Independence and elect Duncan as El Presidentee? Who said life in Argyll was quiet, all we need now is Trump moving to Tiree to build a new golf course and Murdock to buy the Oban Times and we have the lot.
    Power to the People.

• Awww thanks for thinking of me but alas I’m in the wrong ward for my vote to count. Power to the people, well 93% of them anyway! Have a nice day.

11. I would not be so hasty. Mr Walsh has, in the past, shown himself to be a very shrewd operator. And it is not unheard of for people who did think they would go with one grouping to then change their minds.

So while this McCuish coalition looks *probable*, I would wait until after the Dunoon count before cracking open the bubbly.

12. For Neil MacIntyre and Mairi, there are some members of the Alliance who are “person non grata” and who would not be welcomed into the new coalition. Prior to Friday there were six. That has now reduced to four. It does not take a genious to work out who they are.

13. Hi DB, your “drunken lecture” and the advice from other community contacts on Friday and Saturday would have helped. I did spend some time on the phone late on Saturday night and standing on Peaton Hill on Sunday morning explaining the various options to Robert. I have no doubt that along with me, he has taken the best decision as far as his constituents are concerned. After all, it is our communities and our constituents who are the most important people.

14. Well, well – it looks like a new administration in Kilmory. The best of luck to them – given the challenges the area faces – they’ll certainly need it.

15. I hope the new coalition brings the new approach that Kilmory needs and the correct persons are given the jobs that will turn round Argyll and Bute and help people who elected this new grouping