18 months of effort and personal loss just …

Comment posted SNP’s Coalition for Progress now has a majority – 19 councillors by Integrity? Not in the Condemall.

18 months of effort and personal loss just became worthwhile. My kids have a better future and I look forward to them enjoying it.

Recent comments by Integrity? Not in the Condemall

• Managed protest at Pacific Quay shames pro-indy campaign
    I have no doubt there are nazi sympathizes in UKIP. That doesn’t mean we are on a path toward persecution of a section of society or ultimately a holocaust as Willie suggested. It’s a preposterous suggestion.
  • Managed protest at Pacific Quay shames pro-indy campaign
    Yes John, I strongly suspect he is. There was a thread on here which pretty much gave it away but I can’t find it via phone google. Maybe someone else knows here it is or maybe it has been deleted.
  • Managed protest at Pacific Quay shames pro-indy campaign
    I wouldn’t stoop to his level Oban.

On a more comical note your post reminded me of Blazing Saddles.

• Scottish Water to invest £1.2m to counter flooding in Helensburgh’s East King Street
    It would be nice to have a story entirely unrelated to independence which stays that way however as this one failed at the first hurdle…

I support SW remaining in public ownership and hope whoever is the SG in future keeps it that way. SW are accountable to the SG meaning independence will make no difference whatsoever.

• Managed protest at Pacific Quay shames pro-indy campaign
    First of all let’s clarify the condescending ‘friend from the south’ comment. I have lived in Scotland over thirty years , work in the Scottish public sector, have two children born in Scotland currently in the Scottish primary school system and the entire of my mothers family are born and bred Scottish. So, in your , eyes are you still from the south unless you’re born and bred in Scotland , own an impressive Andy Stewart tape collection, swear blind Rhona Cameron is funny and enjoy the SPL. Or are you only Scottish if you share your particular view of what Scotland should become (in which case there are a number of very decorated and proud Scots who will be surprised to find out they are not Scottish after all).

As for ‘friend’ well obviously I realize that is tongue in cheek. I know so many people doing great work for the YES campaign who do I so with class , respect and humility. I feel sorry for them that their efforts are undermined by someone like you. A prime example off why the regional list system should be reconsidered.
    As for the rest of your post it is more nonsense, almost George Bush esque. Scottish people who are pro UK have just as much claim to Scottish symbolism and Scottish pride as you, or any other scot does. It is your particular view of nationalism that is ugly, a view that causes conflict and division. Thankfully the majority of YES campaigner I know, and those I read on here aren’t so vitriolic or emotionally stunted.

39 Responses to 18 months of effort and personal loss just …

1. A new dawn – I just hope that the SNP group don’t ever forget that once upon a time they were in bed with Walsh & co, and resist any future temptations to make inappropriate pacts with unsuitable partners – or their past will come back to haunt them.

• The example of the Alliance should never be forgotten in terms of a descent into ‘anything goes’ that should never be replicated.
      The best guarantee is Roddy McCuish’s nature which has been steadfastly honest. The challenge for him will be to hang on to that in the face of anything – and that is bound at some point to bring its difficulties.
      We have all seen politicians who have become little more than holograms after selling off any semblance of integrity. It is hard – now – to imagine the straightforward Roddy McCuish committing or permitting any departure in that direction.
      We will be as much on watch with this administration as with any other. And, as we have said, the presence of the Argyll First group is both reassurance and canary.
      It is not the number of bodies in the coalition that matters, it is the substance of those bodies.

2. Crazy; Hope you’ve got your tin hat on for when the surfers and trolls start throwing their toys out of their cots!!
    Voters in Dunoon have a clear choice now, conflict or Coalition for Progress.

3. No fair!!
    There goes my hope of a SUPER School based in H’burgh which can accomodate 199000 children from sunday evening to friday afternoon.
    Mortons? are you reading this??

4. Hooray for the coalition and the honest-as-the-day-is-long postie McCuish. Looking round the virtual room containing them all I see so many people I trust. I can’t remember when we last had a council ruling group I could say that about! Now I am going to burn their ears off about protecting our amazing heritage and celebrating our astounding culture. Who will they get to lead that particular charge?

• you will not be alone Catherine… there was plenty of support for what we have in the landscape around us this weekend by the Scottish Place Names Society conference.
      Some of us may only be small voices but together we have the most vital message to shout about.

5. To quote Private Fraser,”We’re doomed”.

I predict that turnout in Cowal will be very low. The exercise will be largely pointless.

It certainly raises the question of whether in the case of the death of a candidate the whole council election should be postponed and not just the ward.

6. OK, wishlist time! Who do we want in the leadership roles?

I think George Freeman should definitely get some kind of leaders post back for all that he lost and gave up.

We need able people to deal with the Officers who unexplicably think they are in charge – hahaha – to be a fly on the Kilmory walls this morning!

Answers on a postcard

7. Friday evening I was feeling a bit deflated with the results. Come Monday and I am euphoric. Same results but a different outcome. I am so glad that Cllr Elaine Robertson has joined the Coalition (the good one that is!). She is held in great respect in North Argyll but her membership of the Alliance was straining relationships. Early signs that Roddy is going to make an excellent leader of the Council.

8. What a breath of fresh air we now have to get the good guys back in Cowal on Thursday and really give Dick Welsh the message closed door nepotism in our council is finished

9. Great news. Hope they put James Robb in charge of the Helensburgh and Lomond Area Committee.

Small point: Rosneath’s Robert McIntyre is not new to local politics. He represented Rosneath and Clynder on a previous local authority.

10. Good morning folks how about some predictions.
    Dick Walsh will pull out of the election on Thursday as he would rather do the garden now.
    Duncan MacIntyre will retire and buy a boat to tour the west coast looking for potential pontoon sites.
    By election in the North and with the backing of Lowry and JayC, Donald Melville will sail in with the help of his new kayak.
    Or will Easdale go for Independence and elect Duncan as El Presidentee? Who said life in Argyll was quiet, all we need now is Trump moving to Tiree to build a new golf course and Murdock to buy the Oban Times and we have the lot.
    Power to the People.

• Awww thanks for thinking of me but alas I’m in the wrong ward for my vote to count. Power to the people, well 93% of them anyway! Have a nice day.

11. I would not be so hasty. Mr Walsh has, in the past, shown himself to be a very shrewd operator. And it is not unheard of for people who did think they would go with one grouping to then change their minds.

So while this McCuish coalition looks *probable*, I would wait until after the Dunoon count before cracking open the bubbly.

12. For Neil MacIntyre and Mairi, there are some members of the Alliance who are “person non grata” and who would not be welcomed into the new coalition. Prior to Friday there were six. That has now reduced to four. It does not take a genious to work out who they are.

13. Hi DB, your “drunken lecture” and the advice from other community contacts on Friday and Saturday would have helped. I did spend some time on the phone late on Saturday night and standing on Peaton Hill on Sunday morning explaining the various options to Robert. I have no doubt that along with me, he has taken the best decision as far as his constituents are concerned. After all, it is our communities and our constituents who are the most important people.

14. Well, well – it looks like a new administration in Kilmory. The best of luck to them – given the challenges the area faces – they’ll certainly need it.

15. I hope the new coalition brings the new approach that Kilmory needs and the correct persons are given the jobs that will turn round Argyll and Bute and help people who elected this new grouping