Go for it, Catherine. Burn all the ears. …

Comment posted SNP’s Coalition for Progress now has a majority – 19 councillors by newsroom.

Go for it, Catherine. Burn all the ears. This issue needs a lightening strike – to be the best.

newsroom also commented

• The example of the Alliance should never be forgotten in terms of a descent into ‘anything goes’ that should never be replicated.
    The best guarantee is Roddy McCuish’s nature which has been steadfastly honest. The challenge for him will be to hang on to that in the face of anything – and that is bound at some point to bring its difficulties.
    We have all seen politicians who have become little more than holograms after selling off any semblance of integrity. It is hard – now – to imagine the straightforward Roddy McCuish committing or permitting any departure in that direction.
    We will be as much on watch with this administration as with any other. And, as we have said, the presence of the Argyll First group is both reassurance and canary.
    It is not the number of bodies in the coalition that matters, it is the substance of those bodies.

Recent comments by newsroom

• Salmond finds irresistible his ‘dark star’ of London and his reviled Westminster
    You will find that we have consistently been pretty excoriating on ‘Labour’s woes’.
    Johann Lamont’s parting shot could not be more accurate – that Labour’s Westminster MP cadre has not understood at all that the driver of politics in the UK at the moment is Scotland and not Westminster.
    If they cannot grasp that and recalibrate what passes for their thinking on that premise, they will not have earned support.
  • South Kintyre by-election
    How do the Greens feel about the extent to which the SNP and its followers are simply taking ownership of them – like a flower in the SNP buttonhole?
    They decorate it well, of course, and did sterling service in the indy referendum, keeping mum at all costs – but they are paying the price of their lunch now.
  • South Kintyre by-election
    And Alex Salmond lives in Gordon?

You’re quite right about Councillor Kelly standing as a Conservative – apologies.

I have never been an ‘Ulster Unionist’. I do not know Mr Clegg. I am no part of any political or other clique. I now have no political affiliations.
    I have joined two political parties in the past.
    I joined the Labour Party of Northern Ireland when it was set up in 1985 by the late Paddy Devlin, since Northern Ireland had a serious political deficit being a member of the UK but with no UK parties established there. The LPNI did not survive too long in the largely sectarian politics of Northern Ireland it was set up to render redundant.
    I joined the SNP early in the 2007 minority administration as I was and remain deeply respectful of the abilities and achievements of Argyll’s then MSP, Jim Mather. I left the SNP early in the independence campaign when I saw, on independently researched evidence, its prospectus to be disappointingly incompetent and downright dishonest. I was relieved to have come to this decision when I saw how primitively tribal, abusive and divisise the indy campaign became.
    In my voting history, since I make my decisions on the calibre of candidates alone, I have probably voted for representatives of every one of the main UK political parties and for independents – and, in Northern Ireland, for the Social Democrat and Labour Party [SDLP].
    For the record, I personally found the most genuine and honest moment in the endless indy campaign to come from the Scottish Conservative MSP, Jamie McGrigor.
    At the pro-union launch indoors in Dunoon one night – which was constantly disrupted by a pretty brattish SNP claque, Jamie McGrigor, who was on his feet at the time, uncharacteristically turned on them and said: ‘Do you know, I am sick of you. I am sick of the lot of you. You’re going on about Bannockburn – but I went to a memorial event recently for Flodden and there was not one single SNP representative there, from any level. Not one.
    ‘I was there – to pay my respects to the many Scots who died in that battle but no one from the SNP was bothered to come, because they lost.
    ‘You lot are only interested in the victories, not in the Scots who died in failed attempts. I have no respect for that.’
    He sat down to silence and then growing applause.
    Being a gentlemanly person, Jamie McGrigor got up again at the enld of the session and apologised to the SNP claque ‘for losing my temper’.
    To me, his first intervention blazingly underlined the hyopcrisy of the braveheart stance; and his second one spoke volumes for the sort of civility in politics I did not witness at any other point in the campaign.
    So while I am politicised, I am unattached; dogma free; recognise merit, dishonestly and incompetence where I find it; have been and will be profoundly critical of every political party deserving it.
    I believe that party politics are redundant and damaging to any state’s chances of progressively building for a balanced and sustainable future.
    I believe that the United Kingdom, if it has any political vitality left, must work to become a federal union, as the fairest and most mutually respectful political system for today – and I will openly support that. If the UK proves to have little interest in fundamental reform and redirection, I will not support it again.
    And that’s the picture.
    Lynda
  • Lamont standing down immediately as Scottish Labour Leader
    The desperate grasping at Kezia Dugdale rather suggests that what you fear may happen is on the slipway.
    Kezia Dugdale is a talented MSP who shines in a very shallow pool where the best talents are unremarkable.
    With experience and a good mentor, she could be an influential politician for the future.
    But she is being grabbed at simply because she shines relatively, with no care for the fact that she needs time and guidance to grow to political maturity.
    She does not need to be propelled prematurely into the leadership of a haphazard parliamentary group within a national party which is directionless and underfuelled.
    With no sign on the horizon – at Holyrood or Westminster, of the thinkers that are so badly needed right now, Labour needs a strong strategic political intelligence to harness and redirect itself. There is no sign of that capability either.
    Political fixing and opportunism will get a listless party through the odd bad night but cannot fuel it for an expedition.
    The prospects are not good.

39 Responses to Go for it, Catherine. Burn all the ears. …

1. A new dawn – I just hope that the SNP group don’t ever forget that once upon a time they were in bed with Walsh & co, and resist any future temptations to make inappropriate pacts with unsuitable partners – or their past will come back to haunt them.

2. Crazy; Hope you’ve got your tin hat on for when the surfers and trolls start throwing their toys out of their cots!!
    Voters in Dunoon have a clear choice now, conflict or Coalition for Progress.

3. No fair!!
    There goes my hope of a SUPER School based in H’burgh which can accomodate 199000 children from sunday evening to friday afternoon.
    Mortons? are you reading this??

4. Hooray for the coalition and the honest-as-the-day-is-long postie McCuish. Looking round the virtual room containing them all I see so many people I trust. I can’t remember when we last had a council ruling group I could say that about! Now I am going to burn their ears off about protecting our amazing heritage and celebrating our astounding culture. Who will they get to lead that particular charge?

• you will not be alone Catherine… there was plenty of support for what we have in the landscape around us this weekend by the Scottish Place Names Society conference.
      Some of us may only be small voices but together we have the most vital message to shout about.

5. To quote Private Fraser,”We’re doomed”.

I predict that turnout in Cowal will be very low. The exercise will be largely pointless.

It certainly raises the question of whether in the case of the death of a candidate the whole council election should be postponed and not just the ward.

6. OK, wishlist time! Who do we want in the leadership roles?

I think George Freeman should definitely get some kind of leaders post back for all that he lost and gave up.

We need able people to deal with the Officers who unexplicably think they are in charge – hahaha – to be a fly on the Kilmory walls this morning!

Answers on a postcard

7. Friday evening I was feeling a bit deflated with the results. Come Monday and I am euphoric. Same results but a different outcome. I am so glad that Cllr Elaine Robertson has joined the Coalition (the good one that is!). She is held in great respect in North Argyll but her membership of the Alliance was straining relationships. Early signs that Roddy is going to make an excellent leader of the Council.

8. What a breath of fresh air we now have to get the good guys back in Cowal on Thursday and really give Dick Welsh the message closed door nepotism in our council is finished

9. Great news. Hope they put James Robb in charge of the Helensburgh and Lomond Area Committee.

Small point: Rosneath’s Robert McIntyre is not new to local politics. He represented Rosneath and Clynder on a previous local authority.

10. Good morning folks how about some predictions.
    Dick Walsh will pull out of the election on Thursday as he would rather do the garden now.
    Duncan MacIntyre will retire and buy a boat to tour the west coast looking for potential pontoon sites.
    By election in the North and with the backing of Lowry and JayC, Donald Melville will sail in with the help of his new kayak.
    Or will Easdale go for Independence and elect Duncan as El Presidentee? Who said life in Argyll was quiet, all we need now is Trump moving to Tiree to build a new golf course and Murdock to buy the Oban Times and we have the lot.
    Power to the People.

• Awww thanks for thinking of me but alas I’m in the wrong ward for my vote to count. Power to the people, well 93% of them anyway! Have a nice day.

11. I would not be so hasty. Mr Walsh has, in the past, shown himself to be a very shrewd operator. And it is not unheard of for people who did think they would go with one grouping to then change their minds.

So while this McCuish coalition looks *probable*, I would wait until after the Dunoon count before cracking open the bubbly.

12. For Neil MacIntyre and Mairi, there are some members of the Alliance who are “person non grata” and who would not be welcomed into the new coalition. Prior to Friday there were six. That has now reduced to four. It does not take a genious to work out who they are.

13. Hi DB, your “drunken lecture” and the advice from other community contacts on Friday and Saturday would have helped. I did spend some time on the phone late on Saturday night and standing on Peaton Hill on Sunday morning explaining the various options to Robert. I have no doubt that along with me, he has taken the best decision as far as his constituents are concerned. After all, it is our communities and our constituents who are the most important people.

14. Well, well – it looks like a new administration in Kilmory. The best of luck to them – given the challenges the area faces – they’ll certainly need it.

15. I hope the new coalition brings the new approach that Kilmory needs and the correct persons are given the jobs that will turn round Argyll and Bute and help people who elected this new grouping