Also, the story and the pictures have just …

Comment posted McCuish announces details of ‘team fit to build recovery in Argyll and Bute’ by Mairi.

Also, the story and the pictures have just been on “The Wright Stuff”, Anne Diamond expressing disgust, etc, etc.

Mairi also commented

• Newsroom – might be worth putting this ‘school-dinners’ side-show in a separate story.
  • Take my word for it, CSB. I hate it when people say that to me, but it is.
  • This is a not-so-little ‘challenge’ for the new chair of education – whoever that may be.

This has gone truly viral, and has even been (mis)-reported by the Daily Mail.

And yes – I know it is a school in Argyll. In the Minister for Education’s own constituency. Expect this to reach the BBC and news outlets today, is my guess.

• Is it not a bit odd to announce the Chair of Cowal and Bute Area Committee before one third of that area has even had a chance to elect its councillors?

I realise Roddy is trying to steal a march here, and this sort of manoeuvring is to be expected. But is it not a bit disrespectful towards the people of Dunoon that their councillors are – by dint of timing – not even in the reckoning?

Recent comments by Mairi

• The independence campaign: personal gains and loss
    Lynda

What a lovely sentiment, beautifully expressed.

Thanks!

• Thuggish Yes campaign benefits from media’s artificial ‘balance’ as Murphy forced to suspend campaign tour
    Simon
    In Jim’s statement he makes exactly that point – that egg throwing is part of the pantomime of politics:

He’s clear that this isn’t the reason for the 72 hour suspension. Rather, his bigger concern – evident in the videos – is the orchestrated intimidation. It’s ugly.

• Sunday Herald still dishonest on last week’s smear on Labour
    I’ve not heard you whine, Hunchy ;)

My comment was aimed at the whining from Chris Dolan in his letter, complaining about something that’s been fixed ie his play is being listed on the Council’s website.

Your question is, I’m guessing, rhetorical.

• Sunday Herald still dishonest on last week’s smear on Labour
    For some days now this play HAS been listed on the Council’s site.

This is truly pitiful whining from supporters of separation.

It’s easy to see who’s winning the referendum arguments when they trot out lies like this.

• Political whodunnit with reverberations
    What an interesting piece of analysis! Perhaps the original writing belongs more in the Horror section than Whodunnit ;)

The brand new currency plan did pass muster with Alex Salmond because it made it through to the printed version. Here’s what Mike Russell wrote, and what Alex evidently approved for publication:

“A country without its own currency is a country not only without a steering wheel, but also without brakes and an accelerator.”

Here’s a link to a photo of the page in question.

37 Responses to Also, the story and the pictures have just …

1. Is it not a bit odd to announce the Chair of Cowal and Bute Area Committee before one third of that area has even had a chance to elect its councillors?

2. I note ‘education and learning’ has been kepy open for mr Breslin or another? Another day would have been better, but new admin very keen to get off starting blocks.

3. If this is going to be a truly progressive alliance they will need to tackle the iniquitous social care charging system as a matter of urgency.

An independent survey has shown that it charges some of the highest rates in Scotland. It seems to regularly bill service users for services they haven’t received and appears to have been designed by the finance department for the finance department and not for the service users or their care managers.

Either by luck or design the Progressive Alliance has made an inspired choice in Anne Horn as the champion for vulnerable adults. I hope that her sound understanding of their problems, allied to her well known propensity for hard work, will start to overcome many of the problems of social care and bring more fairness to the system.

• Totally agree,
      I spoke to councilor McCuish last year about the deliberate exclusion of service users in any crucial engagement regards charges for service provision and he was shocked that there was no dialogue regards charges with clients.

I suspect the officers done the deal with well paid mangers in the voluntary sector and the commissioning team.If so, it’s absolutely shameful by Loudon.

Through ForArgyl, I again challenge Sally Loudon, Douglas Hendry, or Jim Robb (Adult Care)to a proper consultation in the Corran Halls with the appropriate councilors. True to form they have run away. Cowards!

I would urge Councilor McCuish to order a review of these charges immediately. I am being charged 75% of my disposable income.

• Luck is always a useful component when engaged in government but I can assure Bob Chicken that her colleagues and friends are well aware of Anne Horn’s abilities and her suitability for this appountment.

Apropos Mairi’s comment at #1 I suspect that Roddy is not banking on Mr Walsh’s support!

4. Oh yes, one more thing on the Social Care agenda. How about planning for returning the unique services of Neighbourhood Networks to our communities?

5. I think it is safe to say Education has been kept as to be concluded until after the result of today’s election. I don’t know Michael Breslin but, from what I have heard, he is the obvious candidate for the role.

I thought George Freeman might by appointed as Deputy Leader due to his somewhat lengthy experience (sorry George!) within the Council however, that said, John Semple is a fine candidate for the job and I have no doubt he will support Roddy McCuish superbly.

A number of other very sensible choices. Good to see George returning to the role of Housing Spokesperson. It was shamefully stripped of him and his knowledge in this area means he is comfortably the best man for the job.
    I am also very pleased to see James Robb as the Finance Spokesperson. He has proven he has a fine grasp of LG finances and it is unlikely that some of the financial errors made in the past two years will get by him as easily as they got by the previous administration (deliberately or otherwise).

The staff liaison role, if the anecdotal (I put that in for Simon) evidence that ARSN has picked up over the past 18 months is anything to go by, is a very welcome and overdue idea. Dougie Philand is an ideal choice, approachable, very fair and a track record of putting the job before himself.

Other choices which were no brainers based on previous experience and clearly communicated commitments are Anne Horn as the Adult’s Champion, Elaine Robertson as Carer’s champion and Louise Glen-Lee’s spokesperson role.
    All in all it would appear the right people have been selected for the right jobs and it is good to see that the majority of the deputies are new councillors – hopefully this aid in development and stand them in good stead for future roles

Good luck to all of them.

And as a last point – James as Chair of H&L Area Committee – fantastic! Cllr Dance always liked to lord over any position of authority she had, somewhat satisfying to see she has next to none now.

6. Delighted to see James Robb as Helensburgh and Lomond area chairman. First job: stop the CHORD destruction of Colquhoun Square. Second job: Take charge of the CHORD board.

• ALL CORD schemes throughout Argyll must be put into suspension and reviewed. In fact even the principles behind CORD needs looking into and a fresh alternative brought forward.

• This would be wise. Much of the programme is formless and in disarray. It has now lost a key member of staff, its Programme Coordinator. who is moving south to a new job.
          All in all, this has to be the right moment for executive intervention and reform – and no consultants. If council officers are not up to doing this themselves, they are not up to their jobs.

• And don’t let Vivien Dance anywhere near the Planning Committee in future! Her close links with property developers in Helensburgh make her unfit to serve on that committee in a proper way. Send her elsewhere!

7. Robert MacIntyre as Chair of Bute & Cowal Area Committee??

Will he stay awake long enough to get past the round of “Good Mornings”

8. I suggest Argyll First change their group name to the more appropriate MONEY FIRST . Thirty pieces of silver to betray 305 years of successful Union .

• what a vindictive and narrow minded attitude. You may not agree with an individuals politics but you should at least respect their right to have another perspective than yours. At least Argyll First have the temerity to put aside any doctrinal differences for the benefit of the local community with a wish to at least improve and open up the Argyll and Bute Council functions that require serious attention. They also put their names to their comments and actions as do I. ITS A PITY YOU ARE NOT BRAVE ENOUGH to do similar. What have you got to hide?

• Islay for ever: No mention of the people and the land of SCOTLAND being sold out to the puppet prince william just for the protection of the engaylish

• Islay for ever
          Don’t class me with the Scottish nationalists, the SNP have sold us out just like the lords and lairds of old (look up salmond and agenda21 treaty of Rio) as for a “mask” sorry but I don’t wear one, I have no need of a king queen or Pope LOL as for “ugly racist anti engaylish” well that just has my sides splitting, guess the white settler English in Scotland have had a humour bypass my English business partners have always found the funny side to the “engaylish title or my favourite engerland (German queen)
          But guess Argyll has gone all PC on me since I was away working in England and Wales