I think it is safe to say Education …

Comment posted McCuish announces details of ‘team fit to build recovery in Argyll and Bute’ by Integrity? Not in the CondemAll.

I thought George Freeman might by appointed as Deputy Leader due to his somewhat lengthy experience (sorry George!) within the Council however, that said, John Semple is a fine candidate for the job and I have no doubt he will support Roddy McCuish superbly.

A number of other very sensible choices. Good to see George returning to the role of Housing Spokesperson. It was shamefully stripped of him and his knowledge in this area means he is comfortably the best man for the job.
I am also very pleased to see James Robb as the Finance Spokesperson. He has proven he has a fine grasp of LG finances and it is unlikely that some of the financial errors made in the past two years will get by him as easily as they got by the previous administration (deliberately or otherwise).

The staff liaison role, if the anecdotal (I put that in for Simon) evidence that ARSN has picked up over the past 18 months is anything to go by, is a very welcome and overdue idea. Dougie Philand is an ideal choice, approachable, very fair and a track record of putting the job before himself.

Other choices which were no brainers based on previous experience and clearly communicated commitments are Anne Horn as the Adult’s Champion, Elaine Robertson as Carer’s champion and Louise Glen-Lee’s spokesperson role.
All in all it would appear the right people have been selected for the right jobs and it is good to see that the majority of the deputies are new councillors – hopefully this aid in development and stand them in good stead for future roles

Good luck to all of them.

And as a last point – James as Chair of H&L Area Committee – fantastic! Cllr Dance always liked to lord over any position of authority she had, somewhat satisfying to see she has next to none now.

Recent comments by Integrity? Not in the CondemAll

• Russell offers to meet Council administration to discuss Castle Toward
    Where are the direct criticisms of officers?

The standards commission takes those a lot more seriously than criticisms of councillors. Criticism of councillors tends to be considered largely as fairly typical political point scoring rather than a matter for investigation.

”Leaking information’ as a breach very much depends on provisions in legislation on what constitutes confidential and exempt information. Just because The Council hasn’t rleased it doesn’t make Cllr Breslin publishing it or making it available a definite breach of the code.

However, at the risk of sounding like Simon, if you are so convinced there has been a breach of the code then why not go ahead and report it? I note that the council’s chief executive has not done that yet, maybe she doesn’t feel there is grounds for a complaint. However you seem very sure so instead of rattling cages on a forum with no jurisdiction why not take it to the body that has that jurisdiction?

• Audit Scotland now conducting third consecutive investigation of Argyll & Bute Council
    I take your point about the permission not being rescinded making you feel it pointless pursuing the case. I know as well as anyone, and possibly better then most, how frustrating pursuing this sort of thing can be. I just recommend doing it if possible, if only to make things different in future.
    I would echo that Simon. It was my post in Malcolm’s video. I haven’t and wont offer an opinion on Malcolm’s issue for the same reason as you, that being that I haven’t investigated the issue in detail.

However speaking more generally I would always encourage someone who feels a council has behaved inappropriately to take their complaint to the correct body.

If, for arguments sake, Malcolm’s story stacks up in the manner he has presented it, then he has been poorly treate. Agreeing or disagreeing with him should have nothing to do with political viewpoints or any possible personal opinions on the personality. We can’t all like each other but we all deserve fair treatment by our council.

• The black arts of political spin betray SNP fears in Argyll & Bute
    And Bill Walker claimed just shy of £7,000 to pay for a hotel less than 30 miles from his home because he liked to have a drink and therefore couldn’t drive home!

Guilty people in every party. The sooner people accept that and start focusing on how to put things right rather than playing holier than thou about their own party the better.

• Russell offers to meet Council administration to discuss Castle Toward
    A councillor doesn’t have to declare an interest when meeting with a community group. A councillor is elected to represent the community,

As for sharing emails none were confidential, all would be made available via FOI.

Criticising officers specifically in public could be a breach but I thought most of Cllr Breslin’s criticisms were of Cllr Walsh? Have I missed something?

37 Responses to I think it is safe to say Education …

1. Is it not a bit odd to announce the Chair of Cowal and Bute Area Committee before one third of that area has even had a chance to elect its councillors?

I realise Roddy is trying to steal a march here, and this sort of manoeuvring is to be expected. But is it not a bit disrespectful towards the people of Dunoon that their councillors are – by dint of timing – not even in the reckoning?

2. I note ‘education and learning’ has been kepy open for mr Breslin or another? Another day would have been better, but new admin very keen to get off starting blocks.

3. If this is going to be a truly progressive alliance they will need to tackle the iniquitous social care charging system as a matter of urgency.

An independent survey has shown that it charges some of the highest rates in Scotland. It seems to regularly bill service users for services they haven’t received and appears to have been designed by the finance department for the finance department and not for the service users or their care managers.

Either by luck or design the Progressive Alliance has made an inspired choice in Anne Horn as the champion for vulnerable adults. I hope that her sound understanding of their problems, allied to her well known propensity for hard work, will start to overcome many of the problems of social care and bring more fairness to the system.

• Totally agree,
      I spoke to councilor McCuish last year about the deliberate exclusion of service users in any crucial engagement regards charges for service provision and he was shocked that there was no dialogue regards charges with clients.

I suspect the officers done the deal with well paid mangers in the voluntary sector and the commissioning team.If so, it’s absolutely shameful by Loudon.

Through ForArgyl, I again challenge Sally Loudon, Douglas Hendry, or Jim Robb (Adult Care)to a proper consultation in the Corran Halls with the appropriate councilors. True to form they have run away. Cowards!

I would urge Councilor McCuish to order a review of these charges immediately. I am being charged 75% of my disposable income.

• Luck is always a useful component when engaged in government but I can assure Bob Chicken that her colleagues and friends are well aware of Anne Horn’s abilities and her suitability for this appountment.

Apropos Mairi’s comment at #1 I suspect that Roddy is not banking on Mr Walsh’s support!

4. Oh yes, one more thing on the Social Care agenda. How about planning for returning the unique services of Neighbourhood Networks to our communities?

5. I think it is safe to say Education has been kept as to be concluded until after the result of today’s election. I don’t know Michael Breslin but, from what I have heard, he is the obvious candidate for the role.

Good luck to all of them.

6. Delighted to see James Robb as Helensburgh and Lomond area chairman. First job: stop the CHORD destruction of Colquhoun Square. Second job: Take charge of the CHORD board.

• ALL CORD schemes throughout Argyll must be put into suspension and reviewed. In fact even the principles behind CORD needs looking into and a fresh alternative brought forward.

• This would be wise. Much of the programme is formless and in disarray. It has now lost a key member of staff, its Programme Coordinator. who is moving south to a new job.
          All in all, this has to be the right moment for executive intervention and reform – and no consultants. If council officers are not up to doing this themselves, they are not up to their jobs.

• And don’t let Vivien Dance anywhere near the Planning Committee in future! Her close links with property developers in Helensburgh make her unfit to serve on that committee in a proper way. Send her elsewhere!

7. Robert MacIntyre as Chair of Bute & Cowal Area Committee??

Will he stay awake long enough to get past the round of “Good Mornings”

8. I suggest Argyll First change their group name to the more appropriate MONEY FIRST . Thirty pieces of silver to betray 305 years of successful Union .

• what a vindictive and narrow minded attitude. You may not agree with an individuals politics but you should at least respect their right to have another perspective than yours. At least Argyll First have the temerity to put aside any doctrinal differences for the benefit of the local community with a wish to at least improve and open up the Argyll and Bute Council functions that require serious attention. They also put their names to their comments and actions as do I. ITS A PITY YOU ARE NOT BRAVE ENOUGH to do similar. What have you got to hide?

• Islay for ever: No mention of the people and the land of SCOTLAND being sold out to the puppet prince william just for the protection of the engaylish

• Islay for ever
          Don’t class me with the Scottish nationalists, the SNP have sold us out just like the lords and lairds of old (look up salmond and agenda21 treaty of Rio) as for a “mask” sorry but I don’t wear one, I have no need of a king queen or Pope LOL as for “ugly racist anti engaylish” well that just has my sides splitting, guess the white settler English in Scotland have had a humour bypass my English business partners have always found the funny side to the “engaylish title or my favourite engerland (German queen)
          But guess Argyll has gone all PC on me since I was away working in England and Wales