Actually, I am all in favour in paying …

Comment posted The shape of the new council by Simon.

What I was doing of course was comparing and contrasting newsie’s treatment of councillors’ allowances in the previous adminstration with this new one.

I recognise that there is a financial cost to democracy – regardless of who is in power. And unlike newsie (and some of the more vociferous on here) I don’t choose to rail against councillor’s allowances if the elected administration is not my first choice.

Have a nice day. :)

Simon also commented

• Well Robert, we’ll see what we’ll see. ;)

Remember you have those two serial flippers Mary-Jean and Robb on board. And of course the whole snp group who were in the admistration with Tricky and Co.(before mike russell told them to get out…)

From the look of things all those who jumped into the SNP-led rag-bag alliance have been rewarded with special repsonsibility posts. I’ll say one thing for them – they’ve got their noses in the trough early this time… ;)

Have a nice evening. :)

• Thanks Cllr Freeman – I appreciate that. One of the ‘like’ ticks is from me. :)

So, I guess the fact that the new admisitration has exactly the same number and total amount (of allowances)as the previous admistration really just exposes, yet again, Newsie’s biased blog.

If she keeps inventing rubbish stories like this (you must remember the never-ending ‘rag-bag alliance’, ’30 pieces of silver’ and ‘noses in the trough’ crap) she’ll get her press accreditation in no time….

Have a nice night and sleep safe in knowledge that you have a new Council. :)

ps You’ll be pleased to learn that the Samaritans have been stood down.

• Good luck to the new council.

Now, can someone – anyone – tell me how many people under this regime are getting additional repsonsibility payments compared to the previous administration?

Recent comments by Simon

• Can anything address the disease in Argyll and Bute Council?
    Graeme, so that we are all clear on what you are proposing ‘The council would buy in the services it required from public service bureaux’ this is the further privatisation of council services is it not?
  • Castle Toward community ownership bid issues pursued
    I don’t know about anyone else but if I was asking for a one million pound reduction on an independent valuation price I think I might be trying to get alongside the sellers and understand their problems and their real difficulties rather than trying to publicly embarrass them with allegations.

As I’ve said elsewhere this ‘attack dog’ policy is misguided, badly advised and surely can only be counter-productive. A project with significant potential might just wither on the vine because the increasingly politicised and polarised handling of this matter. I’ve also said previously that this decision is not an easy ask (Dick Walsh refers obliquely to just some of the difficulties)and that this group would be far better trying to understand and help resolve those problems instead of naively trying to publicly pressurise and embarrass individual councillors.

On a very human level I must confess that if I was a councillor on the receiving end of manufactured emails and personal attacks I would be disinclined to give the group responsible my support.

• An unexpected pairing to email in Day 8′s Save Castle Toward Advent Calendar
    In the event the council did sell the property at £1 million below valuation what would happen if(despite all the cosy assurances and claims that ‘it makes sound economic sense’) the project fails? What happens then? What happens to the property? Does it revert to the Council? Or, is it sold at a knockdown price to pay off debts?
  • Castle Toward: Councillor Breslin asks straight questions of Council Leader Walsh
    Aral. Are these jobs guaranteed? What if the project fails – does the property come back to us the council taxpayer? Can the council even give away a property valued at £1.75 million for £750k? What other project anywhere in Argyll has received this level of subsidy?

I’m not being anti the local group but there are some serious questions here that need answered. And indulging in childish stunts or making personal attacks does NOTHING to advance their cause – neither does suggesting that I’m employed by ABC – I’m not.

I do however have genuine concerns about this project and as a council tax-payer being asked to subsidise this group to the tune of £1 million I would ask – would everyone who backs them agree to underwrite the losses in the event the project fails?

Would you Aral?

I’ve already said I’m not involved with the council – are you involved directly/indirectly with the project Aral?

I’m a neutral observer in this – are you?

I posted this on another article and feel it is still relevant.

‘If ownership rather than lease is so important for their business plan then should they (the local group) not be concentrating their efforts on raising the money to pay the valuation determined by the District Valuer? Or appealing the valuation?

That’s would seem to be a more constructive route than pushing this cheap gimmick of an ‘advent calendar’. A gimmick that does absolutely nothing to promote their case and quite obviously is nothing more than a blunt attempt to pressurise councillors.

I don’t know who advised them to take this approach but it seems to be spectacularly inept and this orchestrated gimmick might yet prove to be counter-productive. Of course, the fact that it is being promoted by Newsie of this blog will of course do absolutely nothing to help their case

If this group are serious about their project then surely they require to treat councillors equally seriously? They need to understand their position. They need to understand that a) even if the group had a cast-iron case this request of theirs is not easy to agree to and b) regardless of what it takes, they would be far better using their time to develop a more effective working relationship with the council and councillors rather than promoting such a childish stunt.

Granting a group a discount of a £1 million is not a trivial matter and they are being silly beyond belief if they think otherwise’.

I would only add that I’m also a Council tax payer, that is one of those who are paying the £20,000 per month to keep Toward Castle (valued at £1.75 million)secure. I am appalled at the attempts of some to reduce, what is a very difficult decision, to a personal attack on individual councillors within the Council.

It seems that this issue has been engineered to become a political ‘hot potato’.

Who benefits from that?? The local group????

24 Responses to Actually, I am all in favour in paying …

1. First class selection and the point that Ann Horn should have a depute is a sensible suggestion. Her work load will be considerable, and she is the person to bring much needed effective change to this aspect of council activity.
    The balance appears to be just right and should ensure the new council administration goes from strength to strength.
    We need to give Roddy McCuish and the rest of this new administration the time to get the council moving forward. A realistic observation must be maintained, not just reaction to the problems of the past. We all hope we can see quick effective action as soon as possible but this must be tempered with time to create the new atmosphere that is required within the council.

2. PEAR SHAPED – LOL
    According to report Walsh’s comment of “embarrassing” hit home as McCuish was unprepared and out of his depth at his first meeting. Seems he had to be rescued by officers all the time as he had no understanding of his brief. 6 months now probably too optimistic. The turn-coat Tory picks up his additional twenty pices of silver.

• The only person who should be “embarrassed” is Mr Walsh. Previously leading this council area to the brink of destruction.

• Arnie is that not virtually the same comment you made on the other thread?

Robert is right – grapes, not pears. Big soor ones.

Your comments don’t seem to be making any particular argument, but are just bitter personal digs. How personal are we getting here? To feel so vehemently, it would suggest you are incredibly close to the situation… perhaps that of the now ousted administration… perhaps even its leader… perhaps finding a little more time on his hands now… and realising he has finally lost… and that his salary is going to drop SIGNIFICANTLY.

Just a theory ;)

3. No idea what the ‘embarassing’ story is but would be willing to wager it is being blown out of all proportion by some bad losers.

If you want to talk about petty embarassing moments in the chambers lets recall Cllr Marshall strolling in late to the Council meeting where Sandy Longmuir tore the council figures apart then challenged Sandy about his credentials. Safe to say we chuckled form the viewing gallery when Sandy obliged him.

I am optimistic that this new administration will be welcoming to external challenge and be more than prepared to amend council papers where errors are highlighted. Something the previous administration, and the current CMT, were never prepared to do. To err is human, what defines a person is how they manage the error.

4. Well done ForArgyll for such thorough and quick reporting. All eyes will be on this new administration and it looks good to me with good ‘attitude’.

• It’s a sure bet that all councillors in all councils need all the luck that they can get, when you look at the increasing social and economic challenges facing them.

5. Good luck to the new council.

6. Thanks Cllr Freeman – I appreciate that. One of the ‘like’ ticks is from me. :)

Have a nice night and sleep safe in knowledge that you have a new Council. :)

ps You’ll be pleased to learn that the Samaritans have been stood down.

• Simon – distributing responsibility payments as a form of patronage to councillors who are then expected to toe the line and flip-flop on demand is rather different to allocating responsibility payments to those who are expected to successfully rise to the challenge of their extra responsibility – and I very much hope that time proves we’re in the latter scenario now.

7. Well Robert, we’ll see what we’ll see. ;)

Have a nice evening. :)

• Simon – just as bitter as usual. At least this group of councillors are expected to bring change and hopefully improvements to the folks of Argyll and Bute. We can only judge by performance. The outgoing regime despite the same allowances and payments did little or nothing for this area, actually took retrogressive actions and wasted monies for little or no apparent reason. I am sure if you gave up the amount of time that this new administration will need to and did some of the traveling that they do, you would expect nae demand recompense. Irrespective of political background or persuasion councillors should be given stipends and allowances, we as an electorate just need to be more selective as to whom we select to represent us. If you dislike Mary Jean Devon and James Robb as much as you seem to why did you not stand for election give us your background and let us vilify you?

8. Simon seems to have forgotten that many members of the previous administration did a complete somersault on their previously stated and widely supported position in order to grab the extra shekels. Many voters did not forget however, and the only surprise is that several of these unreliable specimens managed to get re-elected.

On the other hand several of this new progressive administration gave up substantial extra payments and high positions on the last ruling administration on a matter of principle.

Extra allowances for extra resposnibility is hardly a surprising component of councillors remuneration.

9. Actually, I am all in favour in paying councillors a decent allowance and extra for additional resposibilities.

Have a nice day. :)

• Sorry Simon, we have consistently said that councillors must be paid a decent rate for the job we expect them to do. £16k a year is derisory. And we said that when the previous administration was in operation.
      All we are interested in in competence and integrity in all quarters.
      While one would hope to see integrity whether or not people were paid at all, no one is entitled to expect or demand high levels of competence and dedication on low pay.

10. Simon Councillors are now paid wage.
    This has been the case since the 2007 election.
    ABC has a Leaders fixed wage(£31/32k) based on the size of the Council and the total budget.
    There are 9 Senior Councillors(£24/25k) usually including Senior Opposition leaders based on the results of the Councillor groupings.
    The remaining 16 Councillors are paid a set wage(£16/17k)
    Additional expenses are reimbursed to all Councillors.
    Councillors in each Ward should meet with officers to agree how they will represent the people in each Ward.
    This information and agreement to be communicated to the people.