For ‘Scotch Whisky Association’ you can effectivey read …

Comment posted Was no Scottiish University capable of doing the mathematical model on the impact of minimum pricing of alcohol? by newsroom.

newsroom also commented

• Joan McAlpine’s parliamentary days should be numbered for this latest (and sixth such absence) of a series of varied errors that point to high degree of juvenile irresponsibility and lack of judgment. But she is the First Minister’s aide, is said to have been lunching with him today, so, although this calls Mr Salmond’s judgment into question as well, the betting on her survival has to be off.
  • Of course you do. It is just a surprise that no Scottish University had the required level of expertise in mathematical modelling.

Recent comments by newsroom

• Salmond finds irresistible his ‘dark star’ of London and his reviled Westminster
    You will find that we have consistently been pretty excoriating on ‘Labour’s woes’.
    Johann Lamont’s parting shot could not be more accurate – that Labour’s Westminster MP cadre has not understood at all that the driver of politics in the UK at the moment is Scotland and not Westminster.
    If they cannot grasp that and recalibrate what passes for their thinking on that premise, they will not have earned support.
  • South Kintyre by-election
    How do the Greens feel about the extent to which the SNP and its followers are simply taking ownership of them – like a flower in the SNP buttonhole?
    They decorate it well, of course, and did sterling service in the indy referendum, keeping mum at all costs – but they are paying the price of their lunch now.
  • South Kintyre by-election
    And Alex Salmond lives in Gordon?

You’re quite right about Councillor Kelly standing as a Conservative – apologies.

I have never been an ‘Ulster Unionist’. I do not know Mr Clegg. I am no part of any political or other clique. I now have no political affiliations.
    I have joined two political parties in the past.
    I joined the Labour Party of Northern Ireland when it was set up in 1985 by the late Paddy Devlin, since Northern Ireland had a serious political deficit being a member of the UK but with no UK parties established there. The LPNI did not survive too long in the largely sectarian politics of Northern Ireland it was set up to render redundant.
    I joined the SNP early in the 2007 minority administration as I was and remain deeply respectful of the abilities and achievements of Argyll’s then MSP, Jim Mather. I left the SNP early in the independence campaign when I saw, on independently researched evidence, its prospectus to be disappointingly incompetent and downright dishonest. I was relieved to have come to this decision when I saw how primitively tribal, abusive and divisise the indy campaign became.
    In my voting history, since I make my decisions on the calibre of candidates alone, I have probably voted for representatives of every one of the main UK political parties and for independents – and, in Northern Ireland, for the Social Democrat and Labour Party [SDLP].
    For the record, I personally found the most genuine and honest moment in the endless indy campaign to come from the Scottish Conservative MSP, Jamie McGrigor.
    At the pro-union launch indoors in Dunoon one night – which was constantly disrupted by a pretty brattish SNP claque, Jamie McGrigor, who was on his feet at the time, uncharacteristically turned on them and said: ‘Do you know, I am sick of you. I am sick of the lot of you. You’re going on about Bannockburn – but I went to a memorial event recently for Flodden and there was not one single SNP representative there, from any level. Not one.
    ‘I was there – to pay my respects to the many Scots who died in that battle but no one from the SNP was bothered to come, because they lost.
    ‘You lot are only interested in the victories, not in the Scots who died in failed attempts. I have no respect for that.’
    He sat down to silence and then growing applause.
    Being a gentlemanly person, Jamie McGrigor got up again at the enld of the session and apologised to the SNP claque ‘for losing my temper’.
    To me, his first intervention blazingly underlined the hyopcrisy of the braveheart stance; and his second one spoke volumes for the sort of civility in politics I did not witness at any other point in the campaign.
    So while I am politicised, I am unattached; dogma free; recognise merit, dishonestly and incompetence where I find it; have been and will be profoundly critical of every political party deserving it.
    I believe that party politics are redundant and damaging to any state’s chances of progressively building for a balanced and sustainable future.
    I believe that the United Kingdom, if it has any political vitality left, must work to become a federal union, as the fairest and most mutually respectful political system for today – and I will openly support that. If the UK proves to have little interest in fundamental reform and redirection, I will not support it again.
    And that’s the picture.
    Lynda
  • Lamont standing down immediately as Scottish Labour Leader
    The desperate grasping at Kezia Dugdale rather suggests that what you fear may happen is on the slipway.
    Kezia Dugdale is a talented MSP who shines in a very shallow pool where the best talents are unremarkable.
    With experience and a good mentor, she could be an influential politician for the future.
    But she is being grabbed at simply because she shines relatively, with no care for the fact that she needs time and guidance to grow to political maturity.
    She does not need to be propelled prematurely into the leadership of a haphazard parliamentary group within a national party which is directionless and underfuelled.
    With no sign on the horizon – at Holyrood or Westminster, of the thinkers that are so badly needed right now, Labour needs a strong strategic political intelligence to harness and redirect itself. There is no sign of that capability either.
    Political fixing and opportunism will get a listless party through the odd bad night but cannot fuel it for an expedition.
    The prospects are not good.

38 Responses to For ‘Scotch Whisky Association’ you can effectivey read …

1. I think there is a group at Sheffield who for years have been researching this area. They have expertise in the epidemiology, public health, mathematical modelling and economics (plus perhaps further sub-disciplines) necessary to do this work.

Likewise, we have lots of expert teams in our Universities that get used by organisations – public and private – in other parts of the UK and abroad. Think aquaculture at Stirling, political polling at Strathclyde (think how often John Curtice is used by media outlets UK-wide) … you get the idea.

If they went for the people with the right experience and expertise, I have no problem with that.

2. Imagine what the Scottish media and politicians would say if a national newspaper criticised the UK government for using a Scottish university to produce a report. Surely the best policy is to use the people with the most experience in a particular field.

3. I’m all for keeping it local but that’s a wee parochial, newsroom. The study needed to be robust and beyond reproach, so best for it to go to where the research is being done. Horses for courses.

4. The very essence of Universities is that they do research – pushing out the boundaries of human knowledge. That wouldn’t happen to the same extent if they all research the same things. So proper expertise is always going to be dispersed.

5. I think its a moot point anyway. The whole exercise is useless. The people they want to target with minimum pricing, will not stop drinking – they will just do without other things.

Everyday people who don’t abuse alchohol will be the ones that stop buying the odd bottle of wine etc now and the industry will be the true bearer of the costs.

• I found the “partisan” blog from Morag to be interesting and a suitable counterblast to the approach to this proposed legislation of the Scotch Whisky Association and their friends in high places.Moderate drinkers have little to fear from this.

Trying to do something about the problems that Scottish society has with alcohol is surely preferable to doing what past administrations have done up till now.

• For ‘Scotch Whisky Association’ you can effectivey read ‘Diageo’ – whose buying power in the lobby is unparallelled.

• I think you’ll find the ‘partisan blog’ was a response to Crazy’s cynicism, Mairi. No need to be quite so touchy.(Crazy, I would add I defend your right to cynicism although I agree fully with Ken above.) :)

• Thank you Alison. I am afraid having spent most of my life in proverty-striken and deprived areas ie the Land of Neds, I have cynicism deeply rooted in my bones.

However, in this case, I wasn’t really aiming to cynically dismiss the government’s attempt to curb the after-effects of drink – I was just stating the facts as I see them. Knowing lots of people who this whole exercise is aimed at and knowing it will not change a thing for them.

Except of course, some might decide to switch to drugs when they realise that drugs are cheaper than booze.

6. LOL More of your liberty and wealth getting stolen by the Scottish Nazi Party,
    how Kim Jung Fat salmond and his green shirt colleagues have embraced the EU version of Hitler’s plan from 1941 lets punish all the people for the sake of the few, Here is a novel idea lets lower the drinking age say (15) set up 15-18 year old educational pubs have responsible “adults” to monitor the consumption guess what maybe our children would learn to drink sensibly, rather than sitting outside with a group of their peers drinking till the stuff is finished

• How offensive can one get.?

If Keith McMillan believes he is a “sensible adult” then if you don’t mind I will seek out someone who does not call their fellow human beings by such gutter words. Should be ashamed.

• Hamish100
        You get the award for being the most sensitive poster LOL now what gutter words have I used? Damn Argyll has got so PC? Maybe we should pass a law banning words that people don’t like (demolition man comes to mind “John Sparta you have been fined 100 credits for using inappropriate language”)
        In the UK as a whole we have 68,835 statute laws not including the UN, EU or HSE enforced statute laws look at the way your police are dressed (safety for them or intimidation) is that a free democratic society?
        Our government is created and operated as a for profit corporations (look it up on D&B business solutions) our police force, courts, NHS, DVLA and any government agency is set up as a profit making company (here is a link D+B http://www.dnb.com/) try looking up Oban court house or Strathclyde police.
        Hamish we have all been stitched up sold on the ticket of “this is for the safety of our country” yet your money and wealth has been stripped and sent abroad for the banker’s enjoyment.
        The Scottish people will let the SNP introduce this law and the price of drink will go up, but guess what the people that drink will continue to drink, it won’t stop underage drinking, it won’t stop binge drinking, but you will be happy because you have a new law
        Why not just make the drunks pay for their hospital treatment, or the police time dealing with their bad behaviour, What a silly idea of trying to make people responsible for their actions

7. Bad day somewhere , that’s for sure!

“Scottish Nazi Party”, “Green shirts”, “EU versions”, “Hitler’s plan from 1941″.

Where is this fantacist coming from?

• Robert; sometimes in politics the people fall asleep and listen to the polimagician crap and guess what when the truth comes out they don’t want to hear it

• ‘Falling asleep’ reminds me of that MSP who was brought to book in Holyrood today for three times failing to attend questions in parliament – most recently preferring a very nice lunch indeed that was described in loving detail by the BBC. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’d fallen asleep afterwards, and I think that her parliamentary days might be numbered.

• For the avoidance of doubt, in the interests of accuracy, and because it’s worth recording for posterity, it was actually the sixth time she’d skipped class; Ms McAlpine started with smoked venison with a Strathdon blue cheese dressing and red wine pear, followed by breast of Scottish chicken with grilled asparagus chorizo, olives and Parma ham. (apparently she didn’t photograph her meal and put it on her blog, and I think the BBC lost a comma). No mention of any drink partaken or pudding course consumed might support the fact that Ms McAlpine was preparing for Health and Wellbeing Question Time. An opposition MSP accused her of being a newspaper columnist, but that smacks of character assassination.

• Update, courtesy of today’s Herald: There was indeed drink taken, her meal was ‘washed down with a bottle of Pinot Grigio’. Could explain the lack of photos or blog. The Herald goes on to describe her as ‘a former newspaper executive’ – so she could have brought her lunching habits with her to her new school, or it might just have been a run-of-the mill lunch for the pupils at this particular establishment.

• Bad day somewhere , that’s for sure! (a great day actually)
      “Scottish Nazi Party”,(look at the laws these people have put in place) “Green shirts”,( have a look into the treaty of Rio and SNP plan for a one size fits all police force) “EU versions Hitler’s plan from 1941″ (try stop watching east enders for one night and have a look into the history of the EU)
      Where is this fantacist coming from? (Everything you have quoted is correct mate well documented just a case of you researching it.)
      But here Ken if I have it all wrong tell me about Alex Salmond SNP and the cover up of the “Abuse of Hollie Gregg” you know the case that when the mother found out the truth and exposed it she was sent to a mental hospital or the lawyer representing her getting his office and home raided “case papers and some other evidence being taken” tell me when was the last time you heard of someone being locked up for a year on a breach of the peace
      Fantasist yeah that’s me mate so guess that must make you one of the sleeping sheep