Yes I’ve met him and he does retain …

Comment posted Dunoon Ward count and RESULT by Anne Baird.

You need to think about why you feel the SNP contributions are negative because mostly I read them the other way round. I enjoy being a member of the SNP because it’s upbeat and hopeful, even when the going is hard. I imagine you feel the same about your party? The idea that the Labour party has a monopoly on being positive or having values is a tad misguided. At very least you should be able to see that we have some things in common.

Anne Baird also commented

• Gus, actually the “nats” have shown a great deal of forebearance over the years. I’ve been heckled, harrassed, lied about and even physically assaulted by members of the Labour party, but I prefer to think of those as the bad old days.

In an Argyll & Bute context I’ve met Labour members who will lay down the axe and work with others for the common good. Similarly I will do all I can to support them for the same reason. Since the only fundamental difference is the independence issue, on an issue by issue basis there’s a great deal to agree on. Our positive attitude has meant that many Labour members, and voters, have felt able to come on board. In the bad old days that wouldn’t have happened. Times and priorities have changed.

Please think hard about who the enemy actually is and ask yourself what will be the best we can all do at a time when the poorest and most vulnerable in society are bearing the brunt of the consequences of silly bankers playing games with our economy.

• Lapdog? Michael Breslin? You haven’t met him then?
  • Michael Breslin is a great addition to the new administration and just the right person for the education brief.

That was the sober bit.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recent comments by Anne Baird

• Managed protest at Pacific Quay shames pro-indy campaign
    Please don’t define a whole party on the basis of one person who may or may not be a member. There are many of us with positive things to say who aspire to a better future for all Scots. We may disagree how that might be achieved, but most of us are acting in good faith.
  • No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    Richard, I totally take on board that there are two sides to that story and am no great fan of Hamas either, but you only have to look at the difference in the map between 1949 and now to see who’s under threat in Israel/Palestine. The horrible reality is that there are 250,000 kids in an area not quite the size of the Uists and they’re all under fire with nowhere to run. Many aren’t old enough even to know they’re Palestinian and they deserve protection regardless of what the adults around them are up to. I don’t see that as bias and, if it is, I share it with Amnesty International and have done for most of the thirty years I’ve been a member.
  • No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    Our shorter life expectancy is a complex issue and unlikely to be addressed by the simple means of free prescriptions. The longer term issues can only be addressed if we have the powers to change them. Did you really expect any government, SNP or otherwise, to reverse a trend that’s often determined in childhood?
  • No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    I’ve not been interested in complaining about the BBC. They’re doing exactly what I expected and my time is better used putting forward the positive case for independence and reassuring frightened pensioners. The timing of the protest however was nothing to do with the games.

Of far more concern is the BBC’s failure to address the truly harrowing scenes from Gaza where human rights abuses are most certainly taking place, or indeed the protests of a 150,000 strong group of Jews in New York against Israel’s behaviour. Many other protests globally have also gone unreported. Jon Snow’s reports for channel 4 have been the only truly balanced reports.

Nor did they report on any of the anti-austerity protests in London which attracted a similar number. I’m not sure why I thought it was ok for them to have a bias in our wee Scottish scenario, but I’m pretty appalled that they have a bias for the Tory/Lib Dem cuts and the Israeli government.

• United Kingdom government invests £500M in £1.13BN scheme for Glasgow and hinterland
    Robert, I do take that point but the losses were savage and nothing much was done to help the redundant workers. It didn’t help that some of them, like British Steel, were relocated. In the fifties they built Possilpark to house the railway workers from Cowlairs and the Caledonian works at a time when 85% of the world’s total rolling stock was produced there. It closed completely in the seventies and the results are infamous. So you could see it all coming when the casualties started to pile up in the eighties. To add insult to injury the unemployed were treated like scroungers – men and women who had taken a pride in working and paying their NI and tax. Then the poll tax. By that time they were damned if their kids were going to pay for bad housing and a future of unemployment or the army and the inch thick electoral registers were replaced with thin ones. These disenfranchised people are now signing up in their thousands to vote and I doubt very much that will go Cameron’s way whatever bribes he brings.

56 Responses to Yes I’ve met him and he does retain …

1. Michael Breslin is a great addition to the new administration and just the right person for the education brief.

That was the sober bit.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• If you actually know MB so well as you say, is it not a little premature to declare how he is “just the right person for the education brief”
      Any new councillor needs time to find his way and MB will be no different. If he does a good job, I will be the first to say.
      The Dunoon Primary School campus issue could be an early test for him.

How sober you are when you make comments on FA is up to others to judge!

2. I am thrilled for Mike Breslin, he ran a super campaign and thoroughly deserves his seat at Kilmory. Its my birthday today (friday) and to see a new SNP councillor elected to the Argyll and Bute team gives me double cause for celebration.
    mike will prove to be a very able asset to Argyll and Bute, to his Dunoon ward and to the SNP,

Well done!

3. Argyll and Bute Final result as on Application Forms to be a Councillor.
    Independents 15 SNP 13 Tory 4 Lib Dems 4
    Congratulations to all elected.

4. Fuller result ;

First Preference votes as under

Breslin (SNP) 663 Elected at 1st stage
    Green (Con) 94
    McQueen (Ind) 432 Elected at 5th stage
    Miles (LibDem)105
    Rice (Labour)296
    Walsh (Ind) 777 Elected at 1st stage

5. “We dropped the ball when we got our own parliament. We could have done things very differently but we just imported the old imperial model from Westminster and got shouting.”

Watch the Welsh model (BBC Parliament channel) and Holyrood comes a poor second in this respect. There may well be lots of sweary-words employed but as I don’t speak Welsh….

6. Just looking at the votes, we see that the TORIES could only attract 94 votes and less that 4% of the total vote compared with 239 votes (7.27%) in 2007.

The LIB DEMS only managed to scrape 105 votes and less than 4.5% of the total vote compared with 2007 when they managed 257 (7.82%) of the total vote.

We see Jimmy McQueen going from 754 votes in 2007 to only 432 yesterday. Certainly passed his sell by date and should now think about standing down.

• The Conservative and Unionist candidate had to contend with Conservative and Unionist Councillor Donald Kelly instructing the electorate to vote for the SNP candidate . Time for Councillor Kelly to be put out the party .

7. Great result for Michael Breslin. Now the successful Councillors have to get down to business and bring Argyll and Bute Council into an open and transparent organisation fit for purpose.

8. Islay for ever

Very few people in Dunoon have heard of Cllr Donald Kelly and I can assure you none of them heard him urging them to vote SNP.

Keep the jokes coming

• Have you? Mike was a member of the Labour Party some time ago.
          I would be very disappointed if Mike was to fall into the normal negative outlook of other snp contributors to this blog.

• Yes I’ve met him and he does retain good values. Why would he not? I have no doubt he’ll be a great councillor both for Dunoon and for Argyll & Bute.

• Have you considered that he may have left the Labour Party because of the values which he supported? A common complaint among many of those who moved from Labour to the SNP is that it was the Labour Party whose values changed as they became almost indistinguishable from the Tories. That trend continues and unholy alliances between them in Councils all over Scotland only proves the point.

• Andy

To be fair most parties are ‘guilty’ of that. The SNP have gone into an alliance with Labour in Edinburgh, with the Lib Dems and Labour in Highland Council, and Lib Dems in the Borders.

At local government level I have no real problem with varying coalitions as I see a difference between local and national politics. At local level it should be about whether the majority party trust those they go into coalition with and whether they feel they have the necessary skills and experience.

9. Gus,

Read your own comment at the head of this item which calls into question both Cllr Breslin’s ability to perform his duties and Anne Baird’s sobriety.
    Would you think either suggestion was positive?

I wish them both, along with all other Council members, all success as they grapple with the severe problems faced across Argyll & Bute.

10. I’m sure Mike has retained the values that has guided his political activity.
    The actual question for them was how much of Labour’s leadership retains any of the values that built the Labour Party.
    These values appear largely to have been abandoned which allows Labour to join into coalitions with the Tories all over Scotland.
    Gus is obviously the last to know.

Power at any cost appears to be Labour’s guiding value.

Gus appears to imagine that anyone who doesn’t agree with him deserves personal offence.

No political benefit accrues from that

11. You don’t half talk some keech Dave – oh ye of the gratutitous insult.

So, how come the nats never selected you as a candidate?

• But Simon the nats have previously selected Dave as a candidate…honestly they have! I know it’s hard to believe.

I’m sure now you have brought up the subject he will be only too pleased to let you know the results.

12. Ken
    You are, as usual being very selective with your comments.

I said above “if he does a good job,I will be the first to say”
    Are you saying the Dunoon Primary issue will not be an early test?

Anne mentioned the word sober first,my comment was certainly not negative, if you read again I said it was for others to judge.

I said of Mike “Hopefully he will have retained the values he supported then and will become a successful councillor for the Dunoon ward.

Very positive comment don’t you think?

13. Anne Gus? Is this the same person rejected by the electorate in Kintyre? The ‘I will not answer difficult questions’ Anne?

14. “Simon”: rage against the dying light all you want to but fact is that we won, you didn’t. It’s a new dawn it’s a new day .. and hopefully everything is going to be all right (certainly can’t be worse than the previous “Simon” backed shower).

15. Oh I know you won “doc” I saw the on-line lynch mob on here shortly afterwards demanding revenge and demanding heads.

A new dawn? A new day? Pardon me erst I vomit…

16. For Anne Baird,

My comments concerning Mike Breslin were not negative, I merely pointed out that I would be disappointed if he was to fall into the normal negative outlook of other snp contributors eg. K.M. and D.H.

Yes I am upbeat and hopeful about my party.
    I have never said we have a monopoly on being positive or having values, and I can assure you we are not misguided.

Yes we have some things in common, just as we have our differences.I personally had some interesting conversations with snp members I met during the election campaign.

The coalition in Edinburgh is a good example of how parties can work together.

17. I’ll just repost the main part of my last post. Perhaps then instead of silly bluster the substantive points it makes can be addressed….like “Labour values”

As Gus himself has indicated many people operating politically in Scotland USED TO BE MEMBERS OF THE LABOUR PARTY.

“There are very many members of the SNP – perhaps even a majority – who were Labour members or supporters.
    Power at any cost appears to be Labour’s guiding value.

Despite a slowing of the process due to a relentless campaign of smears on Alex Salmond in all the media this latest cynical behaviour assures that the process of Labour being replaced by the SNP in many parts of Scotland will relentlessly continue.”

18. Hmmmm, this got me wondering…

whatever happened to Kintyre1?

Re: Lynch Mob

I think I already said this, but I have been demanding “heads” for a year and a half now – hardly since the election results.

You all seem to be getting hung up on who’s played for which team here…

Can I suggest that politics are an evolving entity? As values of people and parties change and adapt to circumstances, it is possible that candidates no longer find they can support the parties they used to.

Its an organic thing and perhaps here in Argyll, we are seeing the next phase of politics already, where we have people who support their party at a national level, but don’t at a local level.

Some will do so for survival reasons, but some will also do so as genuine honest people wanting only the best for the people they represent and feel they can do so better as an independent or even under the umbrella of another organisation.

Whoa, that was deep for Sunday morning coming from me :)

Discuss please

19. Gus “But Simon the nats have previously selected Dave as a candidate” – can hardly believe that!!

Surely a man of his stature and ability must have been elected?

Him and Anne whatshernamethingy as well, down yon way in Kintyre?????

Shoe-ins both of them…. :)

20. Simon – Have you noticed DH is reluctant to tell you about his time as a candidate in the council elections ?

He seems to be trying to change the subject to something he has no evidence for!

21. Now I DID notice that Gus.

It seems pretty obvious that if he was ever selected then Dave McEwan Hill got trounced/disowned/banned/deselected or whatever.

My guess though Gus is that whatewver the reason – like our Amatuer Anne – he won’t answer a straight question either. ;)

Have a nice night people ;)

22. As a matter of interst I have contested for the SNP at town council, regional council, district council and parliamentary election on 7 occasions. I gave all that up ten years ago when I turned 60 and in fact stood in Dunoon Ward around then as paper candidate (ie name on ballot, no campaign) merely to ensure that there was an SNP candidate in each ward.
    Virtually all of my contests were decades ago when only the brave stood for the SNP and I am very proud to have played my part in carrying the SNP and the independence message from a position in the 60s when it was attracting less than 1% of the vote to a position as the biggest political organisation in Scotland. I have respect for all political activists of all parties who stand for election but none at all for those who provide puerile jibes without putting themselves to the judgement of the voters

I missed a seat on Hamilton Town Council in 1968 on a recount. That was the year the Labour Party had asked me to stand for them but in those days the SNP and Labour got on well and respected each other.
    But that was before London sold the movement out. There are still good people in the Labour party and my sympathy is with them. As I watch the Tories, whose vote dropped again, being brought back into power in coalitions with Labour in many parts of Scotland I wonder what these good people are thinking. This is a gift to the SNP.
    I will ask (as many good Labour people are now asking) when did Labour (which was a home rule party till 1954) become the Labour and Unionist Party?
    No doubt we shall get a selection of infantile comments to this post

23. Told you Simon! He’s a veteran of council elections. Though I’m not sure confessions of Hamilton TC are of relevance to standing in Argyll and Bute.
    “That was the year the Labour Party asked me to stand for them” ,evidence??????
    He still has not provided answers to the question of his attempts to be elected in Argyll and Bute(other than to say he was a paper candidate in ward 7)
    The rest of his post is as usual what he would call positive, and I would call mince!

24. Is it just my imagination or have the anti-SNP platoon on here become distinctly nastier in tone and in the nature of their personal attacks since the elections?

Sore losers I guess.

25. The labs that contribute to this site should take heart from the good socialist members of their chosen party.
    Lord Mcconnell, Lord Reid, Lord Watson, Lord Foulkes, Lord Gordon, Lord Hughes, Baroness Liddel, Lord Maxton, Lord McAvoy, Lord O’Neill, Lord Mcfaul, Lord Robertson and even the “I will never bow to any capitalist” Lord Prescott.
    Anything to find a way to bring in money without any real effort, nothing new. They profess to represent ordinary people but forget their origins when the opportunity presents itself.
    No wonder real working people are leaving the Labs in droves

26. Selection of infantile posts initially as expected after my last post and then some sensible,thoughful stuff from people with a serious interest in the main issues.

27. As usual personal attacks are the norm for those who have no substance to argue. Labour have no ideas, no care or concern for the disadvantaged, no plan to advance forward, and don’t forget who got us into the financial situation in the first place. Gordon I am the greatest Brown. Spent all the money ran up the national debt, put nothing away in reserve. Tried to claim all the credit for the boom, then when the bust came which he said was a thing of the past, it was everybody’s fault except his. Why did Labour fail to put controls on the banks when they had the chance. last but not least don’t forget who gave Fred Goodwin his knighthood, it was not the Easter Bunny.