The cost of the whole thing – wind farm – and grid. The estimate to lay the grid from the proposed Shetland wind farm to the mainland – about twice the distance from Tiree to the mainland – was £650 million + + +
Malcolm Kirk also commented
- Karl – hope you are enjoying this West Coast weather and a well deserved pint !
Was there not an arrangement made with the local fishermen that the turbines would be 1Km apart – because they don’t appear to be on their plan drawing. Also the area of the site is always going to limit the number of turbines anyway ?
- Hydro can supply power within minutes of being required – wind most certainly can not – there can be no comparison.
- Thanks Karl for the figures re connection to the mainland – so I wasn’t far wrong – 4% is £240 million – add on a bit of an increase based on the fact that the renewable industry is apt to understate facts and of course we are quoting figures that are 2 years old – so say nearer to £300 million. I refer you Robert to my earlier statement above ! I would think now that discussions have taken place as to where it is coming ashore the estimate is now very much higher
- You can not quote ‘installed capacity’ as being anywhere near the norm – last year was the windiest in living memory so somewhere near ‘installed capacity’ might have been achieved ( actually 31% although they claim 35% efficiency ) but by the same fluke of the weather this year it may only be 10% – and that is the real problem. And further if most of that output is produced overnight – where is the gain? How can anyone justify the immense costs involved ?
- Robert – again too much of a clever dick – I said the distances from Tiree to the mainland was about half – say again – the distance from Tiree to the mainland was about half. I can send you a wee piece of string to lay over your map to do the measurement if you want.
Recent comments by Malcolm Kirk
- Gigha community ownership on brink of failure
Anyone got a – probably much maligned – multi millionaire on tap ? Yet again!
- SAMS launches Laurence Mee Centre for Society and the Sea
As things have gone bit quiet elsewhere – could anyone explain what the following means in plain english ” understanding the human dimensions of the sea and the interactions between social and economic issues and the natural environment”
- Open minded new Transport Minister offers hope to Coastguard SOS campaign
Can anyone offer an occasion when shipping has been failed by the Coastguard service in the last year or two
- Possible game changer: Prestwick Trumped for Turnberry – and more?
Yes – my son has played there and says is pretty darned good. Got a hole in one at his local last week ! ! However – hate to bring actual experience yet again to the hypotheticals on FA, but as a seaside resident of East Lothian for many decades I can assure Lowry and others that there are no bits of land on the Earth that get moved about more that coastal sand dunes, and yet they always survive. Bye the bye – it was the local authority employees who were so hard on the householders who didn’t want to move – not the Trump organisation.
- Totty rocks as new FM elected at Holyrood
Lowry – What was wrong with the Community charge – it simply meant that a single person paid less than a family – seems reasonable ! The disgraceful violent hate filled scenes were caused by Old Labour, the left wing Unions, and the active Communist Party of the time, who saw it as a chance to bring down the Government. As far as good old Council Housing was concerned it gave people choice. There were plenty excellent new Council Housing schemes round our way giving people a new home at a reasonable rent. I also knew people who bought their Council houses – the few that did, never caused a shortage for others. So that’s a bit of nonsense I’m afraid. Incidentally I been asked to convert a video presentation made to the Rural Parliament in Oban recently for uploading to Youtube. Stuart Young starts off with chastising Mrs T for selling the Energy Companies so should be of interest to you – I’ll post the video address here when it’s ready.
powered by SEO Super Comments