Comment posted NeverSeconds: time to let Martha Payne recover anonymity by Jnr Tick.
There appear to be two parties at fault in this debacle, A&B Council and a few national rags who are deviod of the ability to be reasoned and impartial. I think it was pretty obvious why these newspapers were so selective in portraying this situation in such a sensationalist and negative light, it suits their political agendas at the expense of a very well meaning child not to mention staff who prepare and cook meals with the budgets they have year in year out. This ban on photographing meals in the dinner hall could surely have been reversed without all the hype and mass media attention had the individual who made this decision appreciated that censorship, especially of an extremely productive and as mentioned well meaning child is something alien to Scotland. Maybe the staff at the school could have been given more reassurance that they were not at risk of losing their jobs, that it was merely reckless and thoughtless media attention. How refreshing to see Councillor McCuish on TV this morning holding his hands up admitting A&B Council had got it wrong, a rare thing in politics these days be it local or National. If only more politicians would do the same considering the gravity and serious repercussions of some mistakes made. Instead we get the usual predictable spin applied to their faux pas, shifting the blame.
Jnr Tick also commented
- That’s interesting Ronnie, I too would like know why this is the case. When you say ‘quite diffferent’ can you elaborate? Are those meals on the island more nutritious, do they look more appetising? is there more choice? larger portions? Of course, these opinions on meals are all subjective as quality, how appetising etc. are not particularly easy to quantify.
Recent comments by Jnr Tick
- Institute of Fiscal Studies economist looks at fiscal context of independent Scotland
“I’m struggling to understand why Finland with little natural resources except timber, has a better quality of life than we have?”
Struggle no more Graeme. Here’s a real pointer.
A. Finland do not have to rely on the performance of a government they did not elect to manage their economy, in fact successive economy management inept governments.
- Conundrums on ‘Challenge: see what you make of these VisitScotland statistics’
OK, feels like being back at school but gets the old grey matter limbered up.
Looking at the initial figures mentioned, 1882 overnight visitors including 540 visitors (presumably day trippers?
The percentages go on to say 66% spend one or more nights thus leaving 34% being day trippers surely. Now, 34% of 1882 is not 540, I make it 640 (ish)
It also mentions “34% stayed for 4-7 nights and 18% stayed longer”, 34% + 18% does not add up to 66% (The % supposed to have stayed for one or more nights!
What about “The age profile of visitors to Argyll & the Isles is similar to that of Scotland as a whole with 29% aged under 35, compared to 32% of all Scottish visitors”.
If one of the serious weaknesses is a grammatical error then should it not be Scotland’s visitors?
I give up, go on tell us Newsie.
- White smoke rises from Councillor Duncan MacIntyre’s chimney as two-man College of Cardinals settle a deal
“His action on Thursday is simply beyond understanding or defending; and would appear to have been executed without thought for those he led into territory they had never anticipated entering when they took office a year ago – and whom he has left beached”.
Newsie, good to see you’ve finally seen the light when most sussed Robb out a long time ago, except oor Mary on here.
Listening to several who had far closer contact with him it very quickly became obvious where his motives lay, hence his demise.
Your informer/source’s judgement prior to now has been well short of the mark.
- Strachur Post Office under threat of closure
I used to drive from Dunoon to use this p/o because it stayed open late.
Sandbank post office used to stay open until 9pm, that is if the particular member of staff on at the time knew how to operate system and process parcels etc., One or two of the less experienced could provide a very basic service but definitely better than no later service at all.
Like our banks, most post office’s opening times don’t always suit the 9-5 working day so looking forward to Sandbank providing the later service.
- Russell to make parliamentary statement on rural schools today
Your opinion, generally political, is going to be divisive regardless, and is what many of us “really dislike”.
Well researched factual information is greatly appreciated.
powered by SEO Super Comments