It’s been a while Newsie since you posted …

Comment posted Dame Ellen invites… by Simon.

You are obviously totally obsessed if you can get your knicks in a twist about local councillors organising a farewell lunch for another long-serving local counmcillor. A spiteful article if I ever read one.

But of course that doesn’t stop your glee club all volunteering their own tuppence worth of bile.

Have a nice day – you lot deserve each other :)

Simon also commented

• Lowry, your are 100% correct – “I’m not sure that Newsroom would have published such an article if it had been about the SNP”.

This is a local councillor trying to organise a lunch for a retiring councillor of longstanding. Nothing more and nothing less. Indeed the only noteworthy thing is the magnanimous gesture of trying to make sure that ALL candidates get to know about it.

It makes you wonder just how spiteful must Newsie actually be as to write such mean-spirited piece?

Have a nice evening ;)

Recent comments by Simon

• Castle Toward community ownership bid issues pursued
    I don’t know about anyone else but if I was asking for a one million pound reduction on an independent valuation price I think I might be trying to get alongside the sellers and understand their problems and their real difficulties rather than trying to publicly embarrass them with allegations.

As I’ve said elsewhere this ‘attack dog’ policy is misguided, badly advised and surely can only be counter-productive. A project with significant potential might just wither on the vine because the increasingly politicised and polarised handling of this matter. I’ve also said previously that this decision is not an easy ask (Dick Walsh refers obliquely to just some of the difficulties)and that this group would be far better trying to understand and help resolve those problems instead of naively trying to publicly pressurise and embarrass individual councillors.

On a very human level I must confess that if I was a councillor on the receiving end of manufactured emails and personal attacks I would be disinclined to give the group responsible my support.

• An unexpected pairing to email in Day 8′s Save Castle Toward Advent Calendar
    In the event the council did sell the property at £1 million below valuation what would happen if(despite all the cosy assurances and claims that ‘it makes sound economic sense’) the project fails? What happens then? What happens to the property? Does it revert to the Council? Or, is it sold at a knockdown price to pay off debts?
  • Castle Toward: Councillor Breslin asks straight questions of Council Leader Walsh
    Aral. Are these jobs guaranteed? What if the project fails – does the property come back to us the council taxpayer? Can the council even give away a property valued at £1.75 million for £750k? What other project anywhere in Argyll has received this level of subsidy?

I’m not being anti the local group but there are some serious questions here that need answered. And indulging in childish stunts or making personal attacks does NOTHING to advance their cause – neither does suggesting that I’m employed by ABC – I’m not.

I do however have genuine concerns about this project and as a council tax-payer being asked to subsidise this group to the tune of £1 million I would ask – would everyone who backs them agree to underwrite the losses in the event the project fails?

Would you Aral?

I’ve already said I’m not involved with the council – are you involved directly/indirectly with the project Aral?

I’m a neutral observer in this – are you?

I posted this on another article and feel it is still relevant.

‘If ownership rather than lease is so important for their business plan then should they (the local group) not be concentrating their efforts on raising the money to pay the valuation determined by the District Valuer? Or appealing the valuation?

That’s would seem to be a more constructive route than pushing this cheap gimmick of an ‘advent calendar’. A gimmick that does absolutely nothing to promote their case and quite obviously is nothing more than a blunt attempt to pressurise councillors.

I don’t know who advised them to take this approach but it seems to be spectacularly inept and this orchestrated gimmick might yet prove to be counter-productive. Of course, the fact that it is being promoted by Newsie of this blog will of course do absolutely nothing to help their case

If this group are serious about their project then surely they require to treat councillors equally seriously? They need to understand their position. They need to understand that a) even if the group had a cast-iron case this request of theirs is not easy to agree to and b) regardless of what it takes, they would be far better using their time to develop a more effective working relationship with the council and councillors rather than promoting such a childish stunt.

Granting a group a discount of a £1 million is not a trivial matter and they are being silly beyond belief if they think otherwise’.

I would only add that I’m also a Council tax payer, that is one of those who are paying the £20,000 per month to keep Toward Castle (valued at £1.75 million)secure. I am appalled at the attempts of some to reduce, what is a very difficult decision, to a personal attack on individual councillors within the Council.

It seems that this issue has been engineered to become a political ‘hot potato’.

Who benefits from that?? The local group????

• Argyll Labour politicians warn of the anorexic ‘thin blue line’ of Police Scotland
    You are talking nonsense Jamie.

I quoted “According to the Institute of Fiscal studies the impact of Osbourne’s Autumn statement is that we’ve had £35 billion of cuts with a further £55 billion of cuts yet to come”.

You’re suggesting it’s all the SNP’s fault with their ‘vanity projects’.

Really???

£55 billion pounds of SNP vanity projects??

Really?

24 Responses to It’s been a while Newsie since you posted …

1. I’d only buy a ticket if I can hit Billy Petrie in the face with a custard pie. Sorry, but after “Mr Luss” sold Luss down the river by not backing the school, he lost any respect his lengthy public service should normally bring.

2. Mars Mulvaney also sent an email invitation which began, and I quote:

As you will know doubt be aware, Billy Petrie is standing down and is not seeking re-election in May.

Maybe the Dame could find a school for him!

3. Funny – I didn’t quite interpret the invite in the same way that FA have done. Is this article just trying to be poliitical for the sake of it by any chance?

4. typical arrogant condemall councillors. it is obviously an election stunt – why not wait until after the election? ordinary people would see it as more genuine then. what council resources are being used for this?

5. “Ordinary folk” from outer Argyll & Bute must feel quite excluded from this rather grand event which will surely go down in the social calendar and history of 2012 along with the London Olympics and the Diamond Jubilee.

• The olympics will be great for the country and all participants from all quarters of UK deserve encouragement. And frankly i cant see anything wrong with the jubilee if many are looking forward to celebrating same.
      Surely live and let live.

• Enjoy it (them) if you want to,Phil. You will certainly be paying for it (then)!
        I feel as much engaged by those events as I do by Dame Ellen’s lofty social occasion but I will truly not be bovvered or feel excluded.The great outdoors of Argyll & Bute will be all the more attractive this summer while the box in the corner of the room takes a rest.

• No one is criticising you Ken for exercising your choices, so why ridicule others directly or indirectly for doing likewise. If this is your vision of tolerance then keep it. I trust it is not SNP policy, as in my humble opinion they have moved heaven and earth (succesfully) to appeal to the majority of Scots, only to lose ground by your ‘old guard’undermining of that endeavour.
          The modern SNP i can definately identify with, but you are letting the side down and turning potential voters away with your poking fun at those not entirely in sync with you.
          It comes back to the question can one enjoy feeling Scottish while enjoying traditional Brittih festivities.
          Please enjoy your summer Ken without the box in the corner but while you are going round our wonderful county please ask yourself is it a good thing to live and let live, or attempt to take the p##s out of others.

• You are almost certainly right, Phil, that I am missing something by not becoming unduly excited by the forthcoming jamborees in London and in Helensburgh but frankly I am prepared to take a chance on that. It is not my intention to ridicule anyone. I am perfectly content if you and others wish to wallow in such activities and will certainly search out for details of any celebratory steet party in the summer in Oban at the appropriate time- so that I am sure to avoid it!.

I can assure you that my opinion on this has nothing at all to do with the Scottish Government or the Scottish National Party but comes with my accumulation of years. I used to watch the Olympics with genuine interest even back to the time when a Pathe newsreel two weeks after the event was the available report and was greatly taken when younger by the vision of de Coubertin and the idealism and principle of the likes of Eric Liddle. I have even visited the site of the first Pan Hellenic Games at Olympia but it seems that the Olympic ideal has long been lost and that most athletes are there now simply for the money rather than any Corinthian ideal. Are therenot to be events for professional footballers, and tennis players? The whole Olympic organisation (OIC) itself is run by a self-perpetuating “blazerati” that schmooze around the luxury hotels of the world doing deals that profit themselves. If you doubt me check out the details of Samaranch and his buddies.

My distaste and therefor my comment on this particular item was the LibDem Cllr Morton’s patronising remarks about “ordinary people” So much for Liberalism and Democracy! That will be the people who pay her wages and will doubtless also be the same people who will be meeting the bill for whatever “official” function is organised to mark Billy Petrie’s retiral?

6. It’s been a while Newsie since you posted such a mean-spirited, narrow and twisted article.

Have a nice day – you lot deserve each other :)

7. “mean-spirited, narrow and twisted” – oh Simon, I thought you were describing yourself.

My comments aren’t based on Newsies article but from personal experience.

8. I’m not sure that Newsroom would have published such an article if it had been about the SNP – however, that is just my view.

I am more than happy to be classed as ‘ordinary’. There is nothing special about me, nor do I expect special treatment. I don’t belong or support any political party and therefore I don’t have to comply with any of the policies. I am not stuck in a system that does not/cannot put the local community first. I don’t have to wave party manifestos around trying to point out their value when only a small part might apply.

However, I am lucky to be an ‘ordinary’ citizen in the UK. I have, to an extent, freedom of speech so that when I get annoyed, as an ordinary citizen, I can have my say!

9. Lowry, your are 100% correct – “I’m not sure that Newsroom would have published such an article if it had been about the SNP”.

Have a nice evening ;)

10. I would have thought an event such as this should be organised by Rhu Community Council on behalf of his constituents if it is a do for the ‘ordinary’ people. That is the ward he represented for the majority of his years on the council. I really can’t understand why on earth it has been hijacked by the self important Ms Morton. Surely if the folk in Rhu would like to mark Billy’s retirement then this ‘nonpolitical’ event is rather stealing their thunder by throwing a rather grandiose affair attended mainly by council candidates and their entourages.

11. LOL “Ordinary People” That has to make you laugh who does this woman think she is? Does you not realise that by becoming a councillor she has become a servant of those ordinary people

12. I have no problem at all with the event. Billy Petrie has been in LG for as long as there has been hair on his chinny chin chin and if people want to give him a send off then that is grand. Equally if people, especially those in Luss and the Peninsula, feel his time has been tainted by his actions over the past two years then that is equally legitimate.

My initial reaction when I first read the letter was that it is slightly embarrassing that our Council’s Education Spokesperson has such an atrocious grasp of basic english!

• Worse – many of those teaching our children have no more secure a grasp.
      This is not the fault of the individuals but of an approach to education that has been tinkered with endlessly by ministers since the 1960s.
      The question we have now is whether, when the hype is set aside, the Curriculum for Excellence (always a foolishly inflated title offering a fat hostage to fortune) – can deliver the basic competencies on which all else is founded.

13. Shock horror. Hold the front page – “leaving do organised for colleague.” Such emails are sent the length and breadth of the country everyday.