Should be very interesting Roddy. The big cheltenham meeting …

Comment posted New local leader, Roddy McCuish, says SNP has moved from protest to progress by Neil MacIntyre.

Should be very interesting Roddy.
The big cheltenham meeting this week so need to concentrate on the horses but looking forward to the election debate and to seeing what everyone has to offer.Will there be local hustings or will it be down to individuals to fire ahead.Any gossip on this?A few ideas myself and will hopefully be able to invite everbody that is standing along, so that we have a good mix of views. Oban Fm Schools,Chord,Bids,Elderly care,Jobs, just to name a small number of major issues that will make for great debate.Should be brillant.
Power to the People.

Neil MacIntyre also commented

• Sorry Brian, the jumping ship or steering ship or even RET that is something I will leave to Roddy he is the SNP,S main man.I am not one of Mr.Salmond,s followers.
  • For Robert.
    Nice one,anywhere for a winner.Good day yesterday.
    Come on Simon your a clever bloke lets debate the issues when they come up.Plenty of time to steam in then.The SNP along with the rest of the bunch have not delivered but this is a new ball game so lets see what everyone has to say.Then if stands up after the elections and we know whose in power or even been elected we will be able to truly debate the way forward for Argyll.You can say anything you like before elections as we all know well enough,delivering is a different matter.
    Power to the People.

Recent comments by Neil MacIntyre

• How to kill one of the most important businesses for Oban: Arygll and Bute Council strikes again
    Interesting article newsie and its great that it has generated so much interest.
    Mr MacLeod will be coming along to the business day next week to discuss his access, not the new building, which he is not against.
    His problem is with the open space which he thinks Will affect his business.
    Mr MacLeod on the 17th of December in a very friendly correspondence with Roddy on a different matter asked if the council could be persuaded to buy him out, as it would save on car parking and hassle.
    Signing off with “Awra best Alan”.
    Taking a slagging on different issues is part of the job so I am fine with that but I think on this one it would have been nice to be asked for our side of the story, to give it a bit of balance.
    It might not be everyone,s cup of tea but badly needed toilets and showers incorporated in the building will help visitors and locals alike. I like the idea of just pedestrians along the pier side as there is very little room on that side and I am sure it will help the tourist office at the Columba corner.
    I certainly can,t see how this development will stop people from finding and enjoying these fine restaurants and now that we have the Transit Marina plans taking shape and the work on Stafford Street ready to go I hope people will enjoy the changes.

Cheers Neil.

• Breslin sticks to the trail on Castle Toward and exposes more council manoeuvres
    Obviously I will be supporting Mary in her campaign for election next year but with Roddy being approached to stand and the financial backing in place if he takes up the offer it would certainly make the election debates a minefield of information.
    I hope he gives it a go he will not win but just imagine the crack.
    Well all the best for the New Year folks it has been an enjoyable few months since I was elected I have certainly found working with everybody has been pretty straightforward on the committee’s I am involved with which is great and the way it should be.
    Linda I promised you an interview to go over my first few months
    in the council and see how things have gone.
    If it’s okay with you it would be better to wait till Castle Toward, Rockfield and Kilbowie are concluded then I can talk openly on them along with the Chord and TIF projects.
    Hope it stays dry for the street party in Oban and again Happy New Year to everyone.

Cheers Neil.

• Game changing intervention as Labour candidate resolves Argyll black hole for mobile phone signal
    Brilliant Mary it is great news for Argyll.

Cheers Neil.

• Argyll and Bute Council administration’s gagging clause
    Just a quick reminder folks the Oban Lorn & the Isles Area meeting is in the Corran Halls on the 8th of October starting at 10.30.
    Public questions will be at the start so come along and we will try to provide some answers for you.

Cheers Neil.

• Argyll and Bute Council administration’s gagging clause
    Hi Murdoch

I am not a member of the Administration so the only thing I have signed lately is a sponsorship form.

Cheers Neil.

32 Responses to Should be very interesting Roddy. The big cheltenham meeting …

1. Should be very interesting Roddy.
    Power to the People.

• Simple Simon, the aims are the same – not surprising really as they’re both in the same party and the same local team – but you clearly haven’t read much that Michael Russell wrote if you think this is his work.

2. For Robert.
    Nice one,anywhere for a winner.Good day yesterday.
    Power to the People.

• Neil, delivering in Argyll & Bute after years of chaos will be a challenge. Working together will be essential for success, so when the election is over the good guys need to put their flags in the cupboard, get together and move forward with a very clear, and strong, set of aims. Turning a ship round takes time, but it’s so much easier when you know where it should be going.

• Neil talks of turning a ship around and the need to know where it is going.
        Pity his SNP MSPs did not have the same same forethought when making decisions on the Dunoon/Gourock and Helensburgh/Gourock ferry services.

This will be remembered at local elections.

• Brian, the ferries debate is not one I usually get into as there are people around who know a whole lot more than me, but at very least you have to acknowledge that the whole sorry saga has a long history, much of which had nothing to do with the SNP.
          I recall Neil McCormick doing a lot of work on it when he was an MEP in an effort to sort out the then Labour/Lib Dem coalition who seemed determined to interpret EU law in any way that saved them paying for a subsidy. If I recall correctly he had a lot to do with the Dunoon route getting the status it has in EU law.
          I appreciate that you’re feeling unhappy about it and want to vote accordingly but in that case you need to knock Labour and the Lib Dems out of the running too.

• Anne – “the ferry debate is not one I usually get into” , well no wonder. You obviously no nothing about it. Mather backed up by a second rate MEP Smyth promised the people of Dunoon two new ferries at a public meeting in the Queens Hall.
            Needless to say we never got them, we now have two bath tub boats instead.
            Of course we have good old Mike on to this now with the help of Alex Neil.
            They will string us along until after the council elections.

• Gus, your indignation is ill-placed. There’s no point in me commenting about the current situation when there are so many who are much better versed in the detail of today. I made no comment on it therefore. I was just pointing out that it’s a much longer saga than that and has been running for the entire life of the Scottish parliament. That’s a truth whether you know about the detail or not.

And whether it’s pertinent now or not, Neil McCormick put an awful lot of work in with the EU and I clearly recall his triumph at having Cowal accepted as a “virtual island”. No doubt Neil Kay could appraise you of that and its current relevance if any.

3. Sorry Brian, the jumping ship or steering ship or even RET that is something I will leave to Roddy he is the SNP,S main man.I am not one of Mr.Salmond,s followers.

• Gus, I loathe propaganda and challenge it where I see it, as above. You will find me ready and able to compliment politicians of other parties where they deserve credit and I have done so often on this website. In the case of the Dunoon ferry, no party has so far got it right. Hopefully that’s changing now and, if it does, I hope you’ll be the first one on here to credit the people who make it happen.

• But you do not appear to have any problem with Labour
      spin doctoring. I noticed last week that Labour were creating a great fuss up here about the First Minister’s public meetings with Rupert Murdoch but conveniently overlooked the frequent back door visits that took place with Tony Blair -and with Mrs Thatcher. Similarly it is not generally known that the English version of the Sunday Sun’s launch edition carried a column from Mrs Ed Balls -Yvette Cooper, MP – while Scottish Labour sources were attacking the Scottish edition.

• Murdoch has used them all in equal measure. Time to kick this wee nyaff (Murdoch), who is only interested in knee jerk politics and the usual headline grabbing bile, back home. Basically he is not a good man or a permanent friend.

• Ken, despite anything you put on this website,your vile anti English shines through. But of course Salmonds cosy up to the equally disgusting Sun comes as no surprise as the Sun will use anyone to sell a paper! As we know the nats will exploit any opportunity to try to gain support.

• Gus – that’s nonsense – and I was born in England; just because someone is an SNP supporter doesn’t mean to say they’re ‘vile anti English’. You seem to suffer from the party political polarisation that influences some of the comment on this website, to everyone’s disadvantage.

• Gus, this is my definition of propaganda. Your target here is a gentleman of whose warmth and decency people speak highly and it’s an absolute liberty to accuse him of being anti-English.

SNP membership is bolstered by people who come from England, watch what’s happening for a while and then ask the question “Why are you putting up with this?” They are new Scots, some of them my closest friends, and have as much of a vested interest in Scotland as the rest of us.

• Robert,

Without the focus of “party” politics there is little prospect of the present “non-political” administration at Kilmory being replaced.
      The late Oliver Brown declared that his party started to go downhill when someone joined it as he then had to copromise on his principles.
      Sometimes a corrective word requires to be applied to the likes of the indignant and forgetful Gus MacKay who does not know me from Adam yet feels free to make judgements about my attitudes -quite incorrectly as it happens.
      I am not bovvered, as some say!

Those who know me will know me.
      At a hustings event prior to the last election it emerged that three of the four candidates for Argyll & Bute were English born.I am happy to report that one of them won by a mile!

Anyone interested in the media knows that Murdoch is only interested in selling newspapers and making money – a bit like Tony Blair. The Sunday Times and The Times are certainly not sympathetic to the present Scottish government.

• Good points, Ken, but I have to admit to a certain nostalgia for the old days of Argyll County council when everyone appeared to stand solely on their own merits and for their personal beliefs, rather than attaching themselves to a political party (or even, these days, occasionally serially re-attaching themselves to more than one party) I’m sure some of them were true-blue Conservative, but they didn’t trade on it and I can remember the surprise when a Kintyre councillor announced publicly that he was a Labour man, and I think this was the first time party politics got much attention.
        I always thought – however naively – that local government was all the better for not having the party poltical baggage of central government. There was less temptation to spend time on national issues rather than concentrating on matters of real local concern.

• Was always a bit of a double edged sword in that it appeared to work, but i think there is far more responsibility placed on members today so electorate need to know in advance what they are getting. For some independents like Cllr Philand you do know you are getting a well principled councillor cutting through party political boundries. Far better this than councillors who cross party boundries and stay there!! (for there own good)

4. Vote Independent and you vote for power without responsibility. Look at their track record – over schools for instance. If it hadn’t been for the SNP, the Independents would have given us a re-run of the Highland Clearances. Oh and by the way, I love Scotland – it’s why I moved here – but by birth I’m a Brummie and a democrat. To get Power for the People you need a MANIFESTO. Grrr

5. Well tyger – if it’s ‘track record over schools’ that concerns you most perhaps you should read what Newsie says about the actions of the SNP Scottish mininsters including Argyll’s own SNP Mike Russell – and I quote -
    “All four schools concerned were closed by a decision based on the same creative and illegal intervention in the statutory process by Scottish Ministers”.
    Illegal actions by the SNP Scottish Ministers to close school?? Shurely shome mishtake….
    Have a nice day :)

6. Reading a copy of Sundays’ Herald at tea break and came across this – Education Minister Mike Russell had a very different vision when he was out of parliament. In his 2006 book, Grasping The Thistle, he called for flat taxes, privatisation of hospitals and the virtual dismantling of the welfare state. A true blue Tory.