Comment posted Continuing gas leak at Elgin platform as deepwater drilling starts west of Shetland by newsroom.
For Dorrey: Your analysis of the failure of the casing of a well is looking very likely, from what we are hearing from industry insiders in Aberdeen on the circumstances in which the leak took place – as a spent well was closed.
newsroom also commented
- And why so gratuitously offensive about our honest work to research and report?
We have neither seen nor said that the Elgin platform situation is similar to that of the Deepwater Horizon incident.
We correctly described this well as deeply drilled – 3 miles below the sea floor – rather than in deep water.
The point is that gas extracted from these depths is more intensely poisonous because of its proportion of hydrogen sulfide and carbon dioxide.
- Have just read that H2S is removed from natural gas during the extraction process by being passed through a container of hydrated iron(III) oxide.
Its appearance on the surface at the Elgin platform would appear to confirm a breach in the pipework bypassing passage through the hydrated iron oxide.
- H2S is also produced during anaerobic digestion, a process used in the production of biofuel.
Recent comments by newsroom
- Tarbert VIllage Hall now a conference venue
This is sad news.
- Tobermory Lifeboat: 17 hour shout in 180 mile rescue of cargo boat drifting south of Tiree
It is indeed only a matter of time.
- South Africa legal system in operation in Pistorius trial
Michael Mansfield is a class act – but what may look to the old world like the clumsiness of the new one in the Nel cross-examination, has been a quite stunning mastery of analysis, detail, strategy and courtcraft.
- Argyll and the Isles Tourism follows up on Expo
This is the sort of news we need to hear. Well done all round.
- Patricia Ferguson asks about those evacuated during Red Road Flats blow-down for Games ceremony
What part of Scotland will not be affected by the Commonwealth Games – by the glory and the cost?
powered by SEO Super Comments