I’d like to know PBP if this is …

Comment posted Waitrose has £325k on table for Tuesday planning hearing – and opposition rolls in by Crazy She-Bat.

I’d like to know PBP if this is your attitude towards For Argyll? or to Argyll itself?

Crazy She-Bat also commented

• From URTV again:

‎30 pro Waitrose representatives have spoken, including Councillor Vivien Dance and Community Councilman Nigel Harman. Now it’s over to the objectors.

• Same source again – URTV:

The Council Planning Department and Waitrose have both spoken. The Planning Department say that the effects on the town centre could have been grossly underestimated by Waitrose’s retail impact survey and that they are maintaining that they recommend refusal of the application.

Waitrose still believe that the effects on the town centre will be negligible and they can mitigate them. Waitrose spokesperson, Martin Gorman, received a big round of applause for saying Helensburgh is crying out for a good quality food store.

• Copied from URTV’s Facebook page:

Final count is 693 letters of support to the council for Waitrose and 137 letters against, including a petition. There were also 7 miscellaneous letters.

• Apparently, Victoria Halls is currently packed to capacity with many people waiting outside as well to hear the verdict.

Recent comments by Crazy She-Bat

• No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    I do agree with you in one respect Sceptic. Why have a Proclaimers song performed without the Proclaimers? Surely, we could have afforded the real thing!
  • No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    I stand corrected, however, I did watch it live and don’t remember seeing half of those shots. I can admit this is perhaps my error as it wasn’t until the following day, a video taken from within the crowd went out on social media that looks as if there is a great deal more flags. If I can find the video again, I will post a link.

I did forget to say in my original post, maybe Newsie could investigate the reports that the MOD were asked to provide a helicopter to fly over Parkhead so Salmond could jump out James Bond style with a big saltire parachute with “Yes” on it?

• No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
    Wow! Been so busy hiding in the hills from the tartan overdose I missed this article!

Maybe because I am probably one of the commenters who lives a bit nearer to Glasgow than most, I have a completely different take on this?

1. Opening ceremony – Cringetastic! Highlights were the games being opened by 2 openly gay people and a male/male kiss seen by billions around the world. Although Karen “Shotgun Nostrils” Dunbar does my head in, it was a good idea to have them open the games considering its illegal to be gay in 42 of the 53 Commonwealth Countries. I also hear Eck has the rainbow flag flying instead of the saltire for the duration of the games.

2. Red, white and blue over the Girodome. Most Weegies see a totally different symbolism in this.

3. Wheel out the oldest, wrinkliest, auld duffer you can find to prove Scots are not genetically wired to die before they are 50. No I don’t mean Sir Chris Hoy’s uncle, I’m talking Rod Stewart. Sounds no bad for a guy that gargles with razor blades.

If you really want a story – ask yourselves why the Scottish crowd’s reaction to our team entering the stadium was not shown on the BBC? I’ve seen video on the dreaded Social Media of that moment and there is a sea of Saltires and Lion Rampants being waved all over the stadium. Why wasn’t that shown?

• National newspaper lambasts SNP mess in Argyll
    And so the spotlight of the National media shines again on Argyll…

and as usual, not for a good reason.

Lets just say it like it is – Local Government is not and has not been working here for some time. The upper echelons of the council needs completely gutted, Councillors and Officers alike and in their place, something that actually works for the people of Argyll in the best interests of the populous and not for their own selfish benefit.

• Am dram wardrobe for Scottish team’s Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony costumes
    Its taken me a couple of days to feel brave enough to venture near the internet or the tv and come forward. I am a victim of ocular assault.

After washing my eyeballs with bleach (from Lidl) I am dismayed to see that my first impressions of the Commonwealth Costumes are correct. Who knew there was a tartan named “Puke”?

I would love to know what that wee woman was smoking when she designed that. It certainly wasn’t kippers.

It truly is awful. Supporting Scotland in any sport is embarrassing enough, but this takes the Tunnock’s teacake.

Is it not too late to change it to tracksuits and baseball caps? The unofficial uniform of Greater Glasgow anyway? And it would be the first time a tracksuit would have been worn in the city by someone actually taking part in sport.

I think I shall spent the 23rd of July hiding up in the hills with a paper bag over my head pretending to be a wild haggis.

37 Responses to I’d like to know PBP if this is …

1. Helensburgh has rejected a supermarket on the pier three times in the past decade. How many more times do you need to hear it?

That being the case, the rest of your argument falls. I am beginning to think we need a For Helensburgh website, leaving you to concentrate on the old Argyll area where you are clearly better informed.

• It is about For Argyll itself, which in many respects I admire but which does not seem to have much of a clue about Helensburgh.

This morning at the hearing it was made clear, through various surveys, that thousands were in favour of Waitrose at Colgrain, and that there was a roughly 55-45 split against a pier supermarket.

Yet For Argyll has consistently claimed the opposite in both cases.

Today there is a huge attendance of Waitrose supporters and, so far, six objectors have put their heads above the parapet.

Interestingly, the only person booed this morning was the representative of Helensburgh Retailers Association.

If I was the editor of For Argyll, at this point I would be questioning the quality of the reporting.

2. For Argyll don’t seem to understand my area either. Folk here are still waiting to learn the membership make up of the Easdale Island charity, Eilean Eisdeal, and how the money was spent from the Scottish Gas Green Streets award. For Argyll claimed that this information should be in the public domain – so where is it? We seem to have been forgotten or FA aren’t interested in persuing this further. Perhaps they’re not bothered about the rights of folk here, or is it too political?

• Lowry – as you must know, we are a very small team with a huge amount of work to do and we cannot keep absolutely on top of everything.

We haven’t forgotten about this matter and we will be pursuing it.

You gave us a smile at the suggestion that this – or anything – might be ‘too political’ for us. Hardly our MO.

3. Copied from URTV’s Facebook page:

4. Same source again – URTV:

5. I could be wrong. But I think they made an exception for Henry Bros at Colgrain, which was greenbelt outwith the local development plan. That seemed strange at the time. Probably a large brown envelope involved there.

6. From URTV again:

7. We cope with bin collections once a week (or even fortnightly) so how about fancy supermarket visits once a week? – a Waitrose on a seagoing barge, serving the west coast – say from Helensburgh to Fort William, stopping off at Dunoon, Rothesay, Campbeltown, Oban, Fort William – and maybe Tobermory and Port Ellen alternate weeks. Just dreaming. At Helensburgh it would tie up at the pier, of course. The supermarket aisles would be cushioned with giant airbags to keep everything shipshape on passage, and maybe even giant gimbals would be effective.

8. Bruce Marshall has stated that he will support the application if a competent amendment can be brought forward. David Kinniburgh has stated that he will be doing the same. Robin Currie has stated that he hopes the application will be approved but the mitigation is insufficient. He is looking for an additional £420k in mitigation for various items. Neil McKay also looking to support it if an amendment can be put together but needs more mitigation.

9. Alex McNaughton has also confirmed his support along with Gordon Chalmers. It is now clear that it will be approved if a competent motion / amendment can be put together.
    Cllr McAlister has also indicated support along with Cllr Devon, Cllr McMillan and Cllr McQueen.

10. Pingback: Argyll News: RIP Helensburgh town centre: Waitrose out of town location approved | For Argyll

11. A long hot day, but full marks to the Helensburgh area public for their active participation.

The right result too, so long as Waitrose are not put off by the vastly increased ‘mitigation payment’.

On a wider stage, Government should be looking at how such payments, which are pure and simple bribery, could be regulated.

• I thought ‘mitigation’ in the context of a supermarket proposal meant meeting the cost of any extra roadworks, pedestrian crossings etc made necessary by the extra traffic generated by the development. I’d like to know if some councillors took a more elastic view of the meaning of the word.

12. I’m sure they won’t be put off by the mitigation payment. In all probability there will be negotiations over the purchase price between drum & waitrose. The application was made under two names – Waitrose & Wandering Wild (aka drum). It is highly likely that there is an agreement between drum and waitrose, where waitrose purchase the land subject to planning approval. This allows them to attach caveats re planning gain / mitigation payments. It will probably be drum who take a hit on the price. They’ll be aware that without planning approval their land is worthless. I actually think planning gain is a good thing. Just as long as it reaches the intended parties and not the council coffers, which sadly often happens.

13. I’d like to see the money used to directly improve the retailers units / frontages. I’ve attached a link to the merchant city initiative below, which completely transformed that area.
    I’m pleased Waitrose got their approval. Had Waitrose been rejected, then all that would have happened is a continuation of the current decline of the town centre. That decline is due to the apathy of a lot of shop keepers. Either the shopkeepers take this opportunity to get their fair share of mitigation money to improve the service that they provide. Or they sell up and allow the next generation of shopkeepers to take over. I’m sure like me, the majority of Helensburgh shoppers do not want to soley shop in Waitrose. To me the Waitrose development has always been about a high end outlet recognising the potential and wanting to invest in our town, which will hopefully be a catalyst for further investment in the town centre.