Well tyger – if it’s ‘track record over …

Comment posted New local leader, Roddy McCuish, says SNP has moved from protest to progress by Simon.

“All four schools concerned were closed by a decision based on the same creative and illegal intervention in the statutory process by Scottish Ministers”.
Illegal actions by the SNP Scottish Ministers to close school?? Shurely shome mishtake….
Have a nice day :)

Recent comments by Simon

• Can anything address the disease in Argyll and Bute Council?
    Graeme, so that we are all clear on what you are proposing ‘The council would buy in the services it required from public service bureaux’ this is the further privatisation of council services is it not?
  • Castle Toward community ownership bid issues pursued
    I don’t know about anyone else but if I was asking for a one million pound reduction on an independent valuation price I think I might be trying to get alongside the sellers and understand their problems and their real difficulties rather than trying to publicly embarrass them with allegations.

As I’ve said elsewhere this ‘attack dog’ policy is misguided, badly advised and surely can only be counter-productive. A project with significant potential might just wither on the vine because the increasingly politicised and polarised handling of this matter. I’ve also said previously that this decision is not an easy ask (Dick Walsh refers obliquely to just some of the difficulties)and that this group would be far better trying to understand and help resolve those problems instead of naively trying to publicly pressurise and embarrass individual councillors.

On a very human level I must confess that if I was a councillor on the receiving end of manufactured emails and personal attacks I would be disinclined to give the group responsible my support.

• An unexpected pairing to email in Day 8′s Save Castle Toward Advent Calendar
    In the event the council did sell the property at £1 million below valuation what would happen if(despite all the cosy assurances and claims that ‘it makes sound economic sense’) the project fails? What happens then? What happens to the property? Does it revert to the Council? Or, is it sold at a knockdown price to pay off debts?
  • Castle Toward: Councillor Breslin asks straight questions of Council Leader Walsh
    Aral. Are these jobs guaranteed? What if the project fails – does the property come back to us the council taxpayer? Can the council even give away a property valued at £1.75 million for £750k? What other project anywhere in Argyll has received this level of subsidy?

I’m not being anti the local group but there are some serious questions here that need answered. And indulging in childish stunts or making personal attacks does NOTHING to advance their cause – neither does suggesting that I’m employed by ABC – I’m not.

I do however have genuine concerns about this project and as a council tax-payer being asked to subsidise this group to the tune of £1 million I would ask – would everyone who backs them agree to underwrite the losses in the event the project fails?

Would you Aral?

I’ve already said I’m not involved with the council – are you involved directly/indirectly with the project Aral?

I’m a neutral observer in this – are you?

I posted this on another article and feel it is still relevant.

‘If ownership rather than lease is so important for their business plan then should they (the local group) not be concentrating their efforts on raising the money to pay the valuation determined by the District Valuer? Or appealing the valuation?

That’s would seem to be a more constructive route than pushing this cheap gimmick of an ‘advent calendar’. A gimmick that does absolutely nothing to promote their case and quite obviously is nothing more than a blunt attempt to pressurise councillors.

I don’t know who advised them to take this approach but it seems to be spectacularly inept and this orchestrated gimmick might yet prove to be counter-productive. Of course, the fact that it is being promoted by Newsie of this blog will of course do absolutely nothing to help their case

If this group are serious about their project then surely they require to treat councillors equally seriously? They need to understand their position. They need to understand that a) even if the group had a cast-iron case this request of theirs is not easy to agree to and b) regardless of what it takes, they would be far better using their time to develop a more effective working relationship with the council and councillors rather than promoting such a childish stunt.

Granting a group a discount of a £1 million is not a trivial matter and they are being silly beyond belief if they think otherwise’.

I would only add that I’m also a Council tax payer, that is one of those who are paying the £20,000 per month to keep Toward Castle (valued at £1.75 million)secure. I am appalled at the attempts of some to reduce, what is a very difficult decision, to a personal attack on individual councillors within the Council.

It seems that this issue has been engineered to become a political ‘hot potato’.

Who benefits from that?? The local group????

32 Responses to Well tyger – if it’s ‘track record over …

1. Should be very interesting Roddy.
    The big cheltenham meeting this week so need to concentrate on the horses but looking forward to the election debate and to seeing what everyone has to offer.Will there be local hustings or will it be down to individuals to fire ahead.Any gossip on this?A few ideas myself and will hopefully be able to invite everbody that is standing along, so that we have a good mix of views. Oban Fm Schools,Chord,Bids,Elderly care,Jobs, just to name a small number of major issues that will make for great debate.Should be brillant.
    Power to the People.

• Simple Simon, the aims are the same – not surprising really as they’re both in the same party and the same local team – but you clearly haven’t read much that Michael Russell wrote if you think this is his work.

2. For Robert.
    Nice one,anywhere for a winner.Good day yesterday.
    Come on Simon your a clever bloke lets debate the issues when they come up.Plenty of time to steam in then.The SNP along with the rest of the bunch have not delivered but this is a new ball game so lets see what everyone has to say.Then if stands up after the elections and we know whose in power or even been elected we will be able to truly debate the way forward for Argyll.You can say anything you like before elections as we all know well enough,delivering is a different matter.
    Power to the People.

• Neil, delivering in Argyll & Bute after years of chaos will be a challenge. Working together will be essential for success, so when the election is over the good guys need to put their flags in the cupboard, get together and move forward with a very clear, and strong, set of aims. Turning a ship round takes time, but it’s so much easier when you know where it should be going.

• Neil talks of turning a ship around and the need to know where it is going.
        Pity his SNP MSPs did not have the same same forethought when making decisions on the Dunoon/Gourock and Helensburgh/Gourock ferry services.

This will be remembered at local elections.

• Brian, the ferries debate is not one I usually get into as there are people around who know a whole lot more than me, but at very least you have to acknowledge that the whole sorry saga has a long history, much of which had nothing to do with the SNP.
          I recall Neil McCormick doing a lot of work on it when he was an MEP in an effort to sort out the then Labour/Lib Dem coalition who seemed determined to interpret EU law in any way that saved them paying for a subsidy. If I recall correctly he had a lot to do with the Dunoon route getting the status it has in EU law.
          I appreciate that you’re feeling unhappy about it and want to vote accordingly but in that case you need to knock Labour and the Lib Dems out of the running too.

• Anne – “the ferry debate is not one I usually get into” , well no wonder. You obviously no nothing about it. Mather backed up by a second rate MEP Smyth promised the people of Dunoon two new ferries at a public meeting in the Queens Hall.
            Needless to say we never got them, we now have two bath tub boats instead.
            Of course we have good old Mike on to this now with the help of Alex Neil.
            They will string us along until after the council elections.

• Gus, your indignation is ill-placed. There’s no point in me commenting about the current situation when there are so many who are much better versed in the detail of today. I made no comment on it therefore. I was just pointing out that it’s a much longer saga than that and has been running for the entire life of the Scottish parliament. That’s a truth whether you know about the detail or not.

And whether it’s pertinent now or not, Neil McCormick put an awful lot of work in with the EU and I clearly recall his triumph at having Cowal accepted as a “virtual island”. No doubt Neil Kay could appraise you of that and its current relevance if any.

3. Sorry Brian, the jumping ship or steering ship or even RET that is something I will leave to Roddy he is the SNP,S main man.I am not one of Mr.Salmond,s followers.

• Gus, I loathe propaganda and challenge it where I see it, as above. You will find me ready and able to compliment politicians of other parties where they deserve credit and I have done so often on this website. In the case of the Dunoon ferry, no party has so far got it right. Hopefully that’s changing now and, if it does, I hope you’ll be the first one on here to credit the people who make it happen.

• But you do not appear to have any problem with Labour
      spin doctoring. I noticed last week that Labour were creating a great fuss up here about the First Minister’s public meetings with Rupert Murdoch but conveniently overlooked the frequent back door visits that took place with Tony Blair -and with Mrs Thatcher. Similarly it is not generally known that the English version of the Sunday Sun’s launch edition carried a column from Mrs Ed Balls -Yvette Cooper, MP – while Scottish Labour sources were attacking the Scottish edition.

• Murdoch has used them all in equal measure. Time to kick this wee nyaff (Murdoch), who is only interested in knee jerk politics and the usual headline grabbing bile, back home. Basically he is not a good man or a permanent friend.

• Ken, despite anything you put on this website,your vile anti English shines through. But of course Salmonds cosy up to the equally disgusting Sun comes as no surprise as the Sun will use anyone to sell a paper! As we know the nats will exploit any opportunity to try to gain support.

• Gus – that’s nonsense – and I was born in England; just because someone is an SNP supporter doesn’t mean to say they’re ‘vile anti English’. You seem to suffer from the party political polarisation that influences some of the comment on this website, to everyone’s disadvantage.

• Gus, this is my definition of propaganda. Your target here is a gentleman of whose warmth and decency people speak highly and it’s an absolute liberty to accuse him of being anti-English.

SNP membership is bolstered by people who come from England, watch what’s happening for a while and then ask the question “Why are you putting up with this?” They are new Scots, some of them my closest friends, and have as much of a vested interest in Scotland as the rest of us.

• Robert,

Without the focus of “party” politics there is little prospect of the present “non-political” administration at Kilmory being replaced.
      The late Oliver Brown declared that his party started to go downhill when someone joined it as he then had to copromise on his principles.
      Sometimes a corrective word requires to be applied to the likes of the indignant and forgetful Gus MacKay who does not know me from Adam yet feels free to make judgements about my attitudes -quite incorrectly as it happens.
      I am not bovvered, as some say!

Those who know me will know me.
      At a hustings event prior to the last election it emerged that three of the four candidates for Argyll & Bute were English born.I am happy to report that one of them won by a mile!

Anyone interested in the media knows that Murdoch is only interested in selling newspapers and making money – a bit like Tony Blair. The Sunday Times and The Times are certainly not sympathetic to the present Scottish government.

• Good points, Ken, but I have to admit to a certain nostalgia for the old days of Argyll County council when everyone appeared to stand solely on their own merits and for their personal beliefs, rather than attaching themselves to a political party (or even, these days, occasionally serially re-attaching themselves to more than one party) I’m sure some of them were true-blue Conservative, but they didn’t trade on it and I can remember the surprise when a Kintyre councillor announced publicly that he was a Labour man, and I think this was the first time party politics got much attention.
        I always thought – however naively – that local government was all the better for not having the party poltical baggage of central government. There was less temptation to spend time on national issues rather than concentrating on matters of real local concern.

• Was always a bit of a double edged sword in that it appeared to work, but i think there is far more responsibility placed on members today so electorate need to know in advance what they are getting. For some independents like Cllr Philand you do know you are getting a well principled councillor cutting through party political boundries. Far better this than councillors who cross party boundries and stay there!! (for there own good)

4. Vote Independent and you vote for power without responsibility. Look at their track record – over schools for instance. If it hadn’t been for the SNP, the Independents would have given us a re-run of the Highland Clearances. Oh and by the way, I love Scotland – it’s why I moved here – but by birth I’m a Brummie and a democrat. To get Power for the People you need a MANIFESTO. Grrr

5. Well tyger – if it’s ‘track record over schools’ that concerns you most perhaps you should read what Newsie says about the actions of the SNP Scottish mininsters including Argyll’s own SNP Mike Russell – and I quote -
    Have a nice day :)

6. Reading a copy of Sundays’ Herald at tea break and came across this – Education Minister Mike Russell had a very different vision when he was out of parliament. In his 2006 book, Grasping The Thistle, he called for flat taxes, privatisation of hospitals and the virtual dismantling of the welfare state. A true blue Tory.