The Rangers finacial collapse , as that of …

Comment posted Devo Plus: enter the Trojan Horse by Willie Hutchison.

Selling tommorow’s income for money today (Ticketus) or bank derivetives or bringing exagerated future income projections for cash not yet recieved ( WIP) are all part and parcel of the edefice upon which all too many businesses are founded.

That’s what a government culture of light hand or non existent regulation delivers.

Recent comments by Willie Hutchison

• Promising start for Kezia Dugdale on North Sea oil as SNP front bench reverts to Salmond’s schoolyard
    Rob, there can be no doubt that the drop in the price of oil has been manufactured for geo political reasons.

Economic warfare is as effective, if not more so than military warfare.

Destroy an opponents economy and you destroy their ability to fund military spending and project their influence. It’s classic stuff and there will have been very careful consideration of how this strategy will play out.

Whether it achieves it’s objectives or not is difficult to say, but from a Scottish perspective there is most certainly a risk to jobs in the North Sea.

And unfortunately, because of the dire state of UK finances there will be no flexibility to offer tax cuts to allow the industry the opportunity to reduce costs. The UK’s perilous finances are therefore acting against Scottish interests – but what’s new.

You certainly don’t tax an industry at tax levels predicated on a barrel of oil having a price of $120 when the actual market price is half that.

Of course, a carrier or a nuclear submarine could be sacrificed – but that seems unlikely as the UK struggles to fund a military budget that it can’t afford.

So let us hope that the Tories don’t do to the oil industry what they did to coal industry.

This is geo politics whereby the US and Saudi Arabia are driving down the oil price to wage economic war on most probably Russia and Iran.

The poor little UK is just collateral damage in this and there’s little the hapless David Cameron will be able to do.

With the UK’s dire financial situation this will be a double whammy to the UK economy. Reduced oil incomes and with no financial fat no flexibility to do much.

But hey, that’s the Unions broad shoulders for you because unlike Norway the UK doesn’t have an oil fund.

Maybe they’ll just have to abandon the half built aircraft carrier, or have a nuclear submarine or two less, or just more austerity pending the oil prise regaining value, which it inevitably will when the geo political big boy economic war is over.

And in the meantime with oil and gas prices having halved from a high of around $115 a barrel to $60.00 a barrel, let us all have great Christmas cheer about diesel having belatedly dropped by around £0.12 a litre whilst the gas and electricity utilities have been able to keep prices as they are as millions struggle to heat their homes in the depths of winter.

• Why would Gordon vote for yesterday’s man?
    David Cameron will be ordering a gross of Pampers at the thought of having to debate with Salmond.
  • First Minister’s revelatory refusal to pay Scotland’s share of upkeep of Head of State
    Maybe she purred ?
    No harm to auld Lizzie but at a time of food banks and austerity it’s high time that she did the decent thing and withdrew the Royal Charity Collection Bowl.

78 Responses to The Rangers finacial collapse , as that of …

1. And the poison in the tail of this Trojan Horse is the retention of Westminsters powers on Defence and Foreign affairs – so we still have to pay for, and keep, Trident, take part in illegal wars if Westminster wants, and have no power over the large swaith of actions taken by the EU and the Commission. What we get are the powers to change the unpopular taxes – big deal!

2. All the SNP have ever said is that they want the voters and civic Scotland to feel free to discuss the possibility of a third option on the ballot paper, while consistently saying that a straight yes or no is their preferred option.

Cynical commentators have interpreted this as a desire for a third ‘fallback’ option should the bid for independence fail. I think that once again they have underestimated the SNP. The party’s talk of a third option of the ballot paper is both honest and straightforward and at the very least a double bluff.

A Devo+ option that is not on the ballot but is rather a vague promise for after we reject independence will play nicely into the SNP’s hands. We will get a straight yes/no with an unsavoury and poorly defined bribe to vote no.
    If Devo+ is a trojan horse then we should remember that it is not the horse that shoots the fox in a hunt, it is the rider. Lets see who gets up on Devo+ and manages to stay on – the opposition at Holyrood appears to be a bit short of good horsemen (or indeed judges of horseflesh) at this point in history.

3. Er, hello…………..sorry for the reality check but there is no such place or country called Utopia! Except in the mind of the deluded.

Do you think the majority of folk living in the rest of the UK want their hard earned money to be spent on defence and conflicts around the world, when so much is needed here at home? Of course they don’t; but they aren’t stamping their feet and taking their ball home either or wanting to cherry pick the best bits in order to try and create a Utopia!

The English aren’t demanding independence from Scotland even though for every tax payers pound spent on each person in England at least six pounds are spent on each person in Scotland.

Scotland has never had it so good – please try and remember that before the UK is carved up on the back of romantic anecdotes. There is much to be said in the adage of united we stand, divided we fall.

4. for every tax payers pound spent on each person in England at least six pounds are spent on each person in Scotland.

And YOU are calling for a ‘reality check’? Care to explain where you got this ludicrous figure from?

5. Lets just have a straight yes or no question then we can get back to the really serious question about Rangers and Craig Whyte.
    Salmond only has to say it will be one question and put a stop to all this nonsense.If this carries for on another couple of years by the time it comes to vote on it you could be in the polling station for hours reading all the questions.I think a buffet and drinks should be provided, it will increase the turnout.It is turning into a farce.
    I would vote yes if I get a straight forward yes or no question.I will vote no if the SNP go for the old woolies pix and mix.I don,t do eachway bets.
    Power to the People.

6. Neil macintyre must be a blue nose. Most football fans throughout Scotland apart from Rangers supporters could not give a toss about Craig Whyte and Rangers.

7. Treble T – All genuine football fans, of all persuasions, should be concerned with what’s happening at Rangers. Only the usual crowd of idiots, that can’t see past their own colours, would fail to see what impact this may have on Scottish football and the Scottish economy.
    Yes, Whyte acquired Rangers under dodgy circumstances, but the more serious implications go back a lot further than Whyte. Do you seriously think it was only Rangers that were trying to screw HMRC by providing players with so called ‘tax exempt’ incentives?

8. Good points Scruff.
    It is with great sadness that in Scotland in 2012 the colour of a persons nose is still a cause of division.Scotland should be proud of all its noses no matter what colour,shape or size they come in.So I urge everbody in Argyll to lead the way in looking beyond a person,s nose and to see the person behind it.Then and only then can we truly say we are a nation of one nose only.
    Power to the People and their noses.

9. The Rangers finacial collapse , as that of other clubs, simply reflects the wider economic system where banks and many other businesses are founded upon underlying insolvency masked by a labyrinth of complicated financial procedures.

10. Rangers unedifying collapse into administration is an embarrassment for them and their supporters. Thhe rapidity with which Alex the ‘Fat Controller’ Salmond lept into defend this “insititution” was matched only by the speed with which he retreated from this position once the extent of their non-payment of taxes and the many millions of pounds they now owe other football clubs became known.
    The Fat Controller – he who buddied-up to that idiot Donald Trump is now sooking-up for all he’s worth to the odious reptile Rupert Murdoch.
    Actually, I’m in a quandry; I don’t which is the more undefying right now Rangers or Salmond.

• AH! The entity known as “Simon” has concluded in it’s “unedifying” fashion that it believes everything it reads!
      Thankfully,mercifully,there are many who look for the correct story and prefer to make their own judgments.
      I had imagined that TROLLS had been vanquished some time ago……..it appears that I was wrong!!!!

11. Been reading the comments on this article over the past couple of days wondering each time if I have entered the flippin Twilight Zone.

How an article can take such ridiculous detours is baffling.

Was almost ready to Google the “Alex and Nicola Show” thinking, “I wonder if thats a bit like Jeremy Kyle?” when the penny dropped. And then I was trying to figure out why all the extra money I was supposed to have compared to the English hadn’t appeared in my purse. Then I got to the Craig “Capone” Whyte and Rangers and that got me thinking of blood-sucking vampires, which brought me back to Twilight and actors and the whole Trojan horse thing and I remember looking at the article in the first place hoping for a pic of a buff Brad Pitt in his underpants.

What was this about again?

• “And then I was trying to figure out why all the extra money I was supposed to have compared to the English hadn’t appeared in my purse”
      For Crazy She-Bat: No extra money in purse courtesy of the English I’m afraid, Alex has spent it all on free prescriptions, free personal home care and free university tuition to name but a few.
      I was brought up to ‘cut your cloth accordingly’ and I’m amazed that Alex feels he can afford to throw money away like this and yet basic requirements like providing a proper road infrastructure in Scotland where everyone benefits, residents and tourists alike,(including the English who make up over half of the visitors to Scotland and prop up the tourism industry here) can travel safely without falling into a pothole, are completely ignored. Er…, fur coat and no knickers comes to mind here!
      Standard answer from Holyrood: Westminister doesn’t give us enough money! What a load of tosh – Holyrood doesn’t know how to prioritise or distribute funds accordingly or how to spend wisely and prudently.
      If the viscal experts can demonstrate beyond doubt that an independent Scotland is viable I’ll be voting a loud and resounding YES and then I’ll sit back and watch the gravy train run dry! There will be even less money in the pocket then and I can almost hear the squealing now – once the honeymoon period is over and the in-fighting starts – Highlands & islands versus the central belt and the lowlands; east coast vs west coast, Glasgow vs Edinburgh, Shetland & Orkney vs the rest of Scotland. Very shortly folk will realise that actually being part of the Union wasn’t so bad after all and at least you had Westminister to kick against and blame for all life’s ills just like the rest of us in the UK.

• So the sick, the elderly and the young are not crucial to the economy and therefore money spent on them is thrown away?

I presume from the above that you’re wealthy enough to survive this fiscal and social Armageddon. This is not true for many people in our society and perhaps you need to take that into account. If you really believe in this dark prediction then you owe it to your fellow man to vote no.

• Ann – thanks for your comments.

I am small self employed and work 16 hour days, 7 days a week for 9 months of the year. I don’t work the other 3 months because there is no business to earn and therefore have to earn enough in 9 months to last for 12! I don’t have paid holidays,40 hour working weeks, weekends off, sick pay, maternity pay or all the other additional benefits that come with being employed. If I added up all the hours I work in a week and compare it to what I earn it’s probably less than 10p an hour. So if you still wish to presume I am wealthy enough to survive this ‘fiscal and social Armageddon’ then I guess I must be.

I do however live according to my means which I work hard for and every day, like most folk I worry whether or not my business will earn enough to pay the bills.

The problem with ‘freebieland’ is that there is no such thing as a free lunch – it is paid for somewhere, somehow by someone. The money pot is not bottomless and money does not grow on trees. I work hard to earn my income and I pay my taxes. I expect my taxes to be used prudently by those who have been elected into government to ensure that the basics are provided and paid for first and not to use it to ‘buy’ the votes of certain groups in society who for whatever reason are unable to contribute.

Those who can’t afford to pay their prescription charges were already getting it free – there are a significant number of people who can afford to pay these charges and probably would prefer to, me included. Prescriptions still have to be paid for somehow so where is the money coming from to pay them and what services are no longer being provided because the money has been diverted to pay for prescriptions?

Those who couldn’t afford university tuition fees were means tested before and had them paid. There are plenty of parents who can afford to contribute towards their children’s university education. University education is not a ‘right’ – it’s worked and earned for by the child; making university available to everyone as a ‘right’ has devalued the degree and if education standards are anything to go by these days it’s hardly surprising.

The same applies for free personal home care. Ever wonder why the population is an aging one here in Scotland?

The basics need to be provided for first; the extras only come if there is money left in the pot. The problem is folk have started to believe that the extras are basics, when in fact they are not.

The last time I looked Scotland was a democracy – therefore I have the right to vote how I wish.

• You are ,of course,entitled to your opinion.

Where are these mythical people who can afford all prescriptions,personal care,university tuition?

What happened to compassion for our fellow man?

You make typically unreasoned,unresearched accusations and state that as opinion?
            Please point to these people who are obviously making your life a misery!!!

The reason,easy to find in Gov. documents,that these so called “freebies” were introduced across the board,is basically down to cost. If you go down the route of means testing,sure,you will find that many are exempted,BUT many are not.

Perhaps you being a business man can understand costcutting?

MEANS TESTING BENEFITS etc. COSTS MONEY.
            …end of!!!!

• Morag – thank you for sharing your comments, view point and opinions.

As you quite rightly point out we are all entitled to our opinions and this includes me as well as yourself. (Quote: “But what on earth gives you the right to make statements that are so utterly ***p”). The democratic society that we live in and the freedom of speech that we enjoy is what gives me the right to make what are in your opinion, statements that are “so utterly ***p”. I disagree with your view on this. Because our opinions differ, this does not mean that either of them is any less valid – opinions are subjective beliefs usually based on emotions and interpretations of facts. They are also formed as a result of personal experience and observations. This is the process that most of us go through when making reasoned decisions as we go about our daily lives.

You have missed the point I was trying to make about people being able to afford to pay. I understand and accept that some people can’t; however some people can and in my opinion if you can afford to pay for something then you should especially if it is being subsidized by taxpayers’ money. I don’t wish to pay for private health care because 1) I can’t afford it and 2) I pay for my monthly prescriptions by making a donation equivalent to the cost of my annual prescription charges to my local surgery’s equipment fund.

With regard to compassion for our fellow man – my understanding of compassion is the emotional capacity for the empathy and sympathy for the suffering of others. For many years I worked in an industry where compassion was required by the bucket load. I have also been fortunate enough to have travelled widely and have seen and experienced appalling levels of poverty, social deprivation and human suffering, so I fully understand compassion at its very basic level. The perception and definition of poverty in this country (and the western world in general) comes nowhere near the reality for millions of people in far less fortunate circumstances as ourselves.

I don’t recall making any reference to having my life made a misery – perhaps you are confusing me with someone else?

The fact remains whether we like it or not, and this is a fact, the economy here in Scotland, the UK, Europe and the rest of the world is in a shambles. Costs do have to be cut and the Government (Westminster and Holyrood) need to concentrate on paying for what they can afford and provide the basics. The extras (which in my opinion include free prescriptions, personal home care and university fees) should be paid for by those who can afford to pay them and those that can’t should either be means tested or face up to reality and go without!

And just for the record I am a mother of four who has instilled the work ethic in her children, as well as the fact that ‘life does not owe them a living’, with two having left home and living independently, one at university and one still at home in their final year at school.

• Kats, I’m genuinely pleased that you’re fit enough to work like that and applaud everyone who does. I hope you’ll remain that way. Should misfortune befall you, however, I hope society will look after you and never leave you in a position where you’re only able to fund one of the three medicines prescribed.
            Things were not quite as rosy as you make them sound. Students were walking away with ever-increasing debts. The elderly were not accessing proper care for myriad reasons, not least a profound anxiety about living within their means. Chemist shops were piling up hundreds of unclaimed prescriptions which meant people were not accessing the proper treatment for their ailments. In the longer term that often means crises and hospital admissions.
            Much simpler, and cheaper, is to get our young people trained to be economically active, buying property and having families, our sick managed well and their condition optimised so they can be independent and productive, and our elderly well cared for, mindful of the fact that they are the people who funded and built the NHS and welfare state when they were working as hard as you, for as little as you.

• KatsKomments, first you tell us that Scotland gets six times as much per head spent by Westminster compared to England, then you come out with the statement that you earn just 10p per hour. That is of course £11.20 for a 112 hour week.

I’m sure you’ve been told a billion times about exaggerating . . .

• Well I’ll be damned Webcraft – according to last year’s accounts I was paid 85p per hour(before tax). I will write a note to remind myself to stop exaggerating :-)

• 85p per hour is 8.5 x the 10p an hour you originally claimed to be paid – an even bigger margin over reality than the £6 for every £1 that according to you is spent per head in Scotland.

If you are going to throw figures around try to keep the inaccuracy under 200% and you might have more credibility.

• Webcraft – thank you for your maths lesson.

You are quite right 85p is 8.5 times more than my original comment of “….probably less than 10 pence per hour…” and again will write a note to myself to try harder to be more precise in future :-) It would appear that my profits were slightly more last year than the previous year – my accounts have yet to be submitted for this year so fingers crossed I may even achieve minimum wage at some point! Woo hoo :-)

Quote from Webcraft: “I’m sure you’ve been told a billion times about exaggerating . . .”
            Billion? Exaggerating? Who? Me?

You have also missed the point about the figures I gave in my post – I was responding to the assumption that was being made by another poster that I was wealthy enough to survive what was described as ‘ this fiscal and social Armageddon’. I had hoped that the figures I gave would show that this was not the case. How 85p an hour over 10p an hour makes much difference is beyond me, but I take your point about accuracy. As much as keeping an eye on the detail is important, having sight of the bigger picture is as equally as important.

Having read your recent previous posts and comments on this website, my interpretation of them would be they always appear to be negative and one can only reasonably assume that you live ‘by the half empty glass’ method rather than the ‘half full glass’.

Each to their own I suppose, but it must be exhausting!

• KK,

I think you will find looking back that unlike yourself I am quite upbeat about Scotland’s political future under the stewardship of the current government. I am negative about people who bandy wild ‘facts’ and ‘figures’ on public fora then refuse to back them up and choose to attack their critics instead.

I would respectfully suggest that it is yourself that is somewhat negative about the Scots ability to stand on our own two feet with the suggestion that we take six times more from the public purse than our English counterparts.

(I see you have still not retracted that bizarre claim made back in comment number 3 – there is an edit facility which will allow you to correct your error).

• Hello Ann – thanks for your comments.

I work like I do because I have to, so that I can provide a roof over our heads, put food on the table and pay the bills. Unfortunately the European Working Time Directive doesn’t limit the hours of the self-employed to 40 hours (or is it 36?), as much as I would like it to. Should the situation arise where I am unable to work as I do, then yes it would not be unreasonable to hope or expect that I would be able to apply for some financial assistance from a society(?) I have contributed to since I was 18 years old.

You are right, students are walking away with debt but if my understanding is correct (and someone please do correct me if I am wrong), the debt is only ever repaid once the student is employed and earning a minimum salary level of £16,000+ (wish I didn’t have to pay mine off until I was earning this amount!); the debt is also repaid at a very low interest rate (wish my debts were!) and after a certain number of years if the debt has not been re-paid, it is written off altogether! (Wish my debts could be too!) I reckon that is a pretty good deal for students who already have their tuition fees paid for.

“Chemists piling up hundreds of unclaimed prescriptions…….” – well if there was ever an example to demonstrate that giving something away for free is a complete waste of money then this has to be it. If you pay for your prescriptions (however small the amount maybe) then you will make the effort to collect them or have them delivered to you. In my experience there is never any value or respect attached to goods/products that are given away for free! Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows this. And if this statement is correct then my concern is not that people are not accessing the proper treatment for their ailments but that the NHS is prescribing drugs unnecessarily and the patient clearly doesn’t need the prescription to start with! The responsibility for ones health lies with the individual and I bet if folk had to pay for the subsequent healthcare they would make sure they received their prescriptions.

I wonder if people would take better care of themselves if the NHS wasn’t free! Now that’s got to be a vote winner :-)

• Certainly not alone in what you say. Free prescriptions and free university places are a good vote winner but why should someone with £500k in the bank get free prescriptions. Why should someone with parents who earn £100k pa get free university education.
          Would possibly disagree with your view on free personal care though, mainly because the people who are currently recieving it suffered for us in the past.

• I can understand the argument for health care being a means tested benefit however and any taxation is only of value if it generates more revenue than it costs to implement and maintain. On that argument I am not sure how much such a scheme would cost as there are many other means tested benefits so arguably healthcare provision could piggy back on one of the existing mechanisms with some ‘localisation’.

However it is worth remembering that before free prescriptions were brought in an overwhelming percentage (apologies I don’t have the exact number to hand and I really should try and find the research but I think it may have been in the 80-90% bracket) of people still didn’t have to pay for it. Given that it does make me wonder if bringing in means-testing to catch that 10-20% would actually be financially wise.

However I do have more of a moral issue with means testing the provision of healthcare. Taxing someone, irrespective of wealth, for being sick does not sit well with me. Healthcare being free at the point of service has been a wonderful cornerstone for so many decades and I worry that abandoning that will eventually lead us into a healthcare system similar to that in America, the concept of that is repugnant. Labour abandoning free prescriptions was one of a few reasons why I no longer voted for them out of party loyalty. Free healthcare for all was one of the parties key policies in opposition to Thatcher’s disgusting attitude toward the nation’s ill – when they turned their back on this they took another step toward a position on the political spectrum which no longer reflected the values that built the party.

12. There’s nothing wrong with Brad Pitt’s thingy!

On the Salmond/Murdoch thingy… I am severely alarmed at anyone that would want to sook up to Murdoch – God only knows what you’d maybe catch. But I suppose that’s politics, sometimes you need to deal with the Devil.

13. “Will Russell be at the schools meeting in Lochgilphead next week” if he is can somebody ask why he shut Robslee and Hillhead???

Morag – alas the use of “unedifying” was not originally from me “The Scottish Football Association has opened an inquiry into the “unedifying” events at Rangers after the league champions were forced to enter bankruptcy protection” :)

14. just checked back to the story about Hillhead School.
    Will Ken MacColl please give us the SNP response to what happened.Sadly we asked before but I think everbody was on holiday.

15. Saw this in the Grauniad yesterday:

Scotland has 8.4% of the UK population and spending is 9.3% of UK Tax take BUT Scotland generates 9.4% of UK Taxes

Interesting in this context, no?

• Sorry to be slow in responding but I have been busy earning a crust over the past few days and don’t read every item that appears in For Argyll.
      For Neil MacIntyre; I am not an SNP spokesperson and cannot give you any information about Hillhead school other than that it is outwith Argyll.
      Any contribution or comment that I make to press and other media is my own opinion, however tedious Angus MacKay finds it.

16. Never mind folks big George and myself have been invited by Louise Glen-Lee the SNP councillor to discuss a wee social media adventure in a weeks time so I am sure she will give us her honest opinion.Louise is pretty straight and obviously well thought of in SNP circles as her new appointment to the executive testifies.

• Neil – is this the same Louise Lee (former journalist at The Oban Times), elected SNP councillor for Argyll & Bute Councillor and now in a PAID position to support Mike Russell in the Scottish Executive?

How does that hold with her duty as a councillor when Mr. Russell is in conflict with A&B Council over policy and financial matters?

The words ‘journalist’ and ‘pretty straight’ in the same sentence = oxymoron! And this with ‘Spygate’ still simmering away how are the electorate ever supposed to take their local councillors and national politicians seriously or even believe a word they say!

• Is it that unusual for a local councillor to also have a job in central government with their political party? I’m more intrigued by politicians who are elected to more than one government, and then apparently juggle their time between the two.

• And while we’re on the subject, an SNP (opposition) councillor working for an SNP parliamentarian is hardly a conflict of interest, and to suggest that journalists are by definition dishonest is rubbish.
        I’m beginning to wonder if ‘Kat’s Komments’ is not so much a cynical, strongly opinionated observer of the world around them – or even a ranting crackpot – as a ‘construct’ by someone just in it for the stirring.

• Suppose its a ‘double edged sword’ in that as long as the intersts of the electorate of Argyll and Bute come first.
          She (Cllr Lee) may be able to bend the ministers ear.

• neil It’s because you used those letters!

The ones that say S.N.P.

You know….them that’s in Government.The one’s that were voted for by ….wait for it…….the voters!!!!

17. Pingback: Scotland – The debate so far… Part 3 | A Blog by Wil

18. for Kats Komments

Well done. I read your comment. I replied to your comment.

Please re-read mine again.In particular the point at the very end.That means testing costs MORE than giving EVERYONE free prescriptions.

The part about costs is where your whole argument falls down.The Government have used money saved from inappropriate means testing to apply it to other sections of the budget.

Education is now tuition free.Why would we saddle students with any debt at all? Why not take the worry of debt out of the equation?

And if I were you,I’d be embarrassed to admit to being a woman,with children,with that attitude.Compassion hah!

• neil

You are funny!

The story is……..watching the uk government destroying the NHS in England.

Watching private security being “invited to tender” for front line policing in England.

Watching as austerity measures re L A’s biting in England.

Watching as welfare “reform” hits those with most to lose.

Watching as the uk government “saves” while bankers don’t.

Watching as D Cameron tells the Nation that this is for “our” benefit.

I’ve shown you mine…..now you show me yours!!!

19. As someone who is party neutral I think pushing the Devo-Max and now Devo-Plus option into the public arena is possibly the first tactically sound thing that the Unionists have done. In times of trouble, as the country is currently in, any political party wanting to garner support focuses on how they are going to bring about a new dawn, or at least material change, in the way the country is run with that change claimed to address the issues that are most challenging for the electorate.

From this perspective the SNP have a ‘gimme’ in terms of the move for independence and it is easy to see why support for it appears to be growing. The SNP are not a perfect party without flaws, I doubt any rational SNP supporter would claim they are. Equally I think any rational supporter of any other party would recognise that they, as a party, have done a lot of good things for Scotland. The way I see it is that they have done sufficient good for there to be a growing desire in Scotland to see proper debate about Scotland’s long term future.

However Scotland’s future will not be ‘fixed’ simply by deciding on the independence issue. There are problems in Scotland, just as there are across the UK which require solutions, and these range from short term, to medium term and long term and it will be damaging if the independence argument exhausts so much time and resource if these other issues are, to some extent, sidelined as a consequence.

So far the SNP have marketed (and so much of politics is about persuasion and marketing) themselves well. They, as previously stated, can easily portray themselves as the party of change in Scotland but in addition to this they have focused on portraying the unionists as parties who will trundle along without change. Whether that is true or not is somewhat irrelevant, it is what people believe that is all-important when it comes to marks on ballot sheets.
    Whilst the SNP has been successful in doing this there is a question about whether this success is purely down to the efforts of the SNP or whether they have had a large helping hand by the lack of effort by the Unionists to portray themselves as anything other than stagnant. Too much attention has been focused on petty arguments about the actual date and a ridiculous amount of effort has been spent trying to put pressure on Alex Salmond to name the date.

If the Unionists want to beat the independence push then they need to better present their alternatives to independence but also to the current state of affairs. Whether those alternatives are Devo-Max, Devo-Plus or some other option remains to be seen but at least they are starting to offer up issues for proper debate and consideration instead of bickering over what is, in the grand scheme of things, a petty detail.

• Integrity

Good post.I think that you have a fairly accurate handle on the situation.

As for Devo +- or whatever,the anti-independence parties are all over the place with too many confusing scenario’s.

Despite these parties efforts,none of them can implement any. D Cameron has offered “something” if a no vote occurs.

Personally,I wouldn’t hang my hat on anything that comes from these load of eejits!

20. Kats Comments
    At 85p an hour you shouldn’t be paying any tax. Time to get yourself a new accountant and then you won’t have to rant like a loon about where your taxes are best spent.
    I too am self employed, with all the drawbacks of no sick pay, annual leave etc. But I recognise that paying tax is to contribute to many different aspects of society. Some benefit me personally, others don’t. But that’s the price we pay to be part of society.
    To saddle students with tuition fees is completely unfair. Especially when the Westminster baby boomers, who introduced the loans benifited greatly from free university tuition, with many claiming student grants and housing benefit. Personally I had to work until 1 am every night (fortunately at more than 85p an hour) to pay the rent during my 7 year course and still had a huge student loan following graduation, that took many years to pay off.

• Correct gd. Kat says she works 16 hours a day for 9 months. That is 4320 hours at 85p = £3672. This is just over half the personal income tax allowance for last year. Not only that but she still has a child at home in full time education which gives an entitlement to Working tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. These are means tested and should meet with her approval.
      No parent should be bringing up a child in this country on under £4K per annum. We do live a society which has measures in place to help.