Gus – that’s nonsense – and I was …

Comment posted New local leader, Roddy McCuish, says SNP has moved from protest to progress by Robert Wakeham.

Robert Wakeham also commented

• If everyone ignored them they might just evaporate.
  • Good points, Ken, but I have to admit to a certain nostalgia for the old days of Argyll County council when everyone appeared to stand solely on their own merits and for their personal beliefs, rather than attaching themselves to a political party (or even, these days, occasionally serially re-attaching themselves to more than one party) I’m sure some of them were true-blue Conservative, but they didn’t trade on it and I can remember the surprise when a Kintyre councillor announced publicly that he was a Labour man, and I think this was the first time party politics got much attention.
    I always thought – however naively – that local government was all the better for not having the party poltical baggage of central government. There was less temptation to spend time on national issues rather than concentrating on matters of real local concern.
  • Ah – party politics – white as the driven snow!
  • Is that Paddy Power, Neil?

Recent comments by Robert Wakeham

• Greece: Peston says ‘ECB expected to continue to refuse to rescue Greek banks’
    Karl – the Greek attitude to the tax man is surely influenced by their sleazy governments down the years – bloated administrations devoted to lining the pockets of politicians and ‘fat cats’, and dispensing largesse to the faithful in the form of jobs.
    Hopefully the current traumas – with undoubtedly worse to come – will be enough to trigger government reform (in or out of the Euro / EU) and a more responsible attitude to taxation.
    Your anti-Greek diatribe is inaccurate and unfair – your postings are always worth reading, but take care you’re not joining the ranks of the ‘head-bangers’.
  • Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh on Daesh: ‘If we are to make real progress tackling extremism we must stop it at source – and call it what it is’
    Plenty of the ‘pious faithful’ down the years have been murderous headbangers, and I don’t think you can call this lot ‘infidels’ – they’ve got faith alright, of the vile variety.
    I’d put my money on the moniker ‘So-called ‘Islamic State”.
  • McGrigor calls on RMT to stop Friday strike against Calmac amidst fears for vital tourism economy
    Caledonian Steam Packet Ltd + David MacBrayne Ltd – and until recent years the two separate companies were reflected in the different unions representing Calmac staff in their historic operating areas.
    Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh is absolutely correct in stating that ‘you can’t defeat an existential threat with bombs and high-tech surveillance’, but in her desperation to disassociate the Muslims in this country from the extremist mindset, she can join Khalid al-Haj Salih et al in claiming that IS aka ISIL aka ISIS is categorically not Islamic until the cows come home – but this is fantasy.
    The name DAESH tells you that, if it’s supposed to be an acronym for ‘Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa’al Sham (sic) it quite clearly isn’t – it would be DIIS, but Khaled al-Haj Salih has conveniently avoided incorporating the ‘I’s of Islamiya & Iraq. I wonder why? – and so, I think, will any 16 year-old trawling the internet in their bedroom.
    But I don’t wonder why the BBC has refused to adopt this daft and blatantly inaccurate acronym.
    Tasmina would be better to emphasise that – rather than Muslims – anyone espousing this cause is in fact Mozlem (‘one who is evil and unjust’).
    Renaming the extremists ‘Daesh’ will not work at all – and if Tasmina is correct in stating that ‘the majority of Arabic speakers in the Middle East now use ‘Daesh’, I wonder why – unless it’s a way of disassociating themselves, in their own minds, from this tide of murderous fanatics.
    A touch smug for a Brit, Karl – what do you think those massive PFI hospital building contracts that have our NHS bleeding to death were all about?
    Gordon Brown’s initiative to keep major public capital expenditure ‘off the books’, and to hell with the cost to our children & grandchildren.
    It’s called ‘cooking the books’ and it’s alive & well in this country too – remember the civil disobedience campaign that eventually forced the government to ‘buy back’ the Skye bridge from the Colombian investors who were making a mint out of it?

32 Responses to Gus – that’s nonsense – and I was …

1. Should be very interesting Roddy.
    The big cheltenham meeting this week so need to concentrate on the horses but looking forward to the election debate and to seeing what everyone has to offer.Will there be local hustings or will it be down to individuals to fire ahead.Any gossip on this?A few ideas myself and will hopefully be able to invite everbody that is standing along, so that we have a good mix of views. Oban Fm Schools,Chord,Bids,Elderly care,Jobs, just to name a small number of major issues that will make for great debate.Should be brillant.
    Power to the People.

• Simple Simon, the aims are the same – not surprising really as they’re both in the same party and the same local team – but you clearly haven’t read much that Michael Russell wrote if you think this is his work.

2. For Robert.
    Nice one,anywhere for a winner.Good day yesterday.
    Come on Simon your a clever bloke lets debate the issues when they come up.Plenty of time to steam in then.The SNP along with the rest of the bunch have not delivered but this is a new ball game so lets see what everyone has to say.Then if stands up after the elections and we know whose in power or even been elected we will be able to truly debate the way forward for Argyll.You can say anything you like before elections as we all know well enough,delivering is a different matter.
    Power to the People.

• Neil, delivering in Argyll & Bute after years of chaos will be a challenge. Working together will be essential for success, so when the election is over the good guys need to put their flags in the cupboard, get together and move forward with a very clear, and strong, set of aims. Turning a ship round takes time, but it’s so much easier when you know where it should be going.

• Neil talks of turning a ship around and the need to know where it is going.
        Pity his SNP MSPs did not have the same same forethought when making decisions on the Dunoon/Gourock and Helensburgh/Gourock ferry services.

This will be remembered at local elections.

• Brian, the ferries debate is not one I usually get into as there are people around who know a whole lot more than me, but at very least you have to acknowledge that the whole sorry saga has a long history, much of which had nothing to do with the SNP.
          I recall Neil McCormick doing a lot of work on it when he was an MEP in an effort to sort out the then Labour/Lib Dem coalition who seemed determined to interpret EU law in any way that saved them paying for a subsidy. If I recall correctly he had a lot to do with the Dunoon route getting the status it has in EU law.
          I appreciate that you’re feeling unhappy about it and want to vote accordingly but in that case you need to knock Labour and the Lib Dems out of the running too.

• Anne – “the ferry debate is not one I usually get into” , well no wonder. You obviously no nothing about it. Mather backed up by a second rate MEP Smyth promised the people of Dunoon two new ferries at a public meeting in the Queens Hall.
            Needless to say we never got them, we now have two bath tub boats instead.
            Of course we have good old Mike on to this now with the help of Alex Neil.
            They will string us along until after the council elections.

• Gus, your indignation is ill-placed. There’s no point in me commenting about the current situation when there are so many who are much better versed in the detail of today. I made no comment on it therefore. I was just pointing out that it’s a much longer saga than that and has been running for the entire life of the Scottish parliament. That’s a truth whether you know about the detail or not.

And whether it’s pertinent now or not, Neil McCormick put an awful lot of work in with the EU and I clearly recall his triumph at having Cowal accepted as a “virtual island”. No doubt Neil Kay could appraise you of that and its current relevance if any.

3. Sorry Brian, the jumping ship or steering ship or even RET that is something I will leave to Roddy he is the SNP,S main man.I am not one of Mr.Salmond,s followers.

• Gus, I loathe propaganda and challenge it where I see it, as above. You will find me ready and able to compliment politicians of other parties where they deserve credit and I have done so often on this website. In the case of the Dunoon ferry, no party has so far got it right. Hopefully that’s changing now and, if it does, I hope you’ll be the first one on here to credit the people who make it happen.

• But you do not appear to have any problem with Labour
      spin doctoring. I noticed last week that Labour were creating a great fuss up here about the First Minister’s public meetings with Rupert Murdoch but conveniently overlooked the frequent back door visits that took place with Tony Blair -and with Mrs Thatcher. Similarly it is not generally known that the English version of the Sunday Sun’s launch edition carried a column from Mrs Ed Balls -Yvette Cooper, MP – while Scottish Labour sources were attacking the Scottish edition.

• Murdoch has used them all in equal measure. Time to kick this wee nyaff (Murdoch), who is only interested in knee jerk politics and the usual headline grabbing bile, back home. Basically he is not a good man or a permanent friend.

• Ken, despite anything you put on this website,your vile anti English shines through. But of course Salmonds cosy up to the equally disgusting Sun comes as no surprise as the Sun will use anyone to sell a paper! As we know the nats will exploit any opportunity to try to gain support.

• Gus – that’s nonsense – and I was born in England; just because someone is an SNP supporter doesn’t mean to say they’re ‘vile anti English’. You seem to suffer from the party political polarisation that influences some of the comment on this website, to everyone’s disadvantage.

• Gus, this is my definition of propaganda. Your target here is a gentleman of whose warmth and decency people speak highly and it’s an absolute liberty to accuse him of being anti-English.

SNP membership is bolstered by people who come from England, watch what’s happening for a while and then ask the question “Why are you putting up with this?” They are new Scots, some of them my closest friends, and have as much of a vested interest in Scotland as the rest of us.

• Robert,

Without the focus of “party” politics there is little prospect of the present “non-political” administration at Kilmory being replaced.
      The late Oliver Brown declared that his party started to go downhill when someone joined it as he then had to copromise on his principles.
      Sometimes a corrective word requires to be applied to the likes of the indignant and forgetful Gus MacKay who does not know me from Adam yet feels free to make judgements about my attitudes -quite incorrectly as it happens.
      I am not bovvered, as some say!

Those who know me will know me.
      At a hustings event prior to the last election it emerged that three of the four candidates for Argyll & Bute were English born.I am happy to report that one of them won by a mile!

Anyone interested in the media knows that Murdoch is only interested in selling newspapers and making money – a bit like Tony Blair. The Sunday Times and The Times are certainly not sympathetic to the present Scottish government.

• Was always a bit of a double edged sword in that it appeared to work, but i think there is far more responsibility placed on members today so electorate need to know in advance what they are getting. For some independents like Cllr Philand you do know you are getting a well principled councillor cutting through party political boundries. Far better this than councillors who cross party boundries and stay there!! (for there own good)

4. Vote Independent and you vote for power without responsibility. Look at their track record – over schools for instance. If it hadn’t been for the SNP, the Independents would have given us a re-run of the Highland Clearances. Oh and by the way, I love Scotland – it’s why I moved here – but by birth I’m a Brummie and a democrat. To get Power for the People you need a MANIFESTO. Grrr

5. Well tyger – if it’s ‘track record over schools’ that concerns you most perhaps you should read what Newsie says about the actions of the SNP Scottish mininsters including Argyll’s own SNP Mike Russell – and I quote -
    “All four schools concerned were closed by a decision based on the same creative and illegal intervention in the statutory process by Scottish Ministers”.
    Illegal actions by the SNP Scottish Ministers to close school?? Shurely shome mishtake….
    Have a nice day :)

6. Reading a copy of Sundays’ Herald at tea break and came across this – Education Minister Mike Russell had a very different vision when he was out of parliament. In his 2006 book, Grasping The Thistle, he called for flat taxes, privatisation of hospitals and the virtual dismantling of the welfare state. A true blue Tory.