Be interesting to see whether members choose to …

Comment posted Waitrose has £325k on table for Tuesday planning hearing – and opposition rolls in by Integrity? Not in the ConDemAll.

Be interesting to see whether members choose to reject the advice given to them by the planning department and the justification for that rejection (should it happen)

Recent comments by Integrity? Not in the ConDemAll

• Michael Russell’s message to Argyll
    It is true that the politician with the GO button takes the bulk of the responsibility. On that theme I was discussing the banking collapse with a good friend the other day. He is a long standing SNP member of many decades. He did quietly acknowledge that Alex Salmond favoured relaxed regulations just us much, if not even more than, Gordon Brown however he made that same point, ultimately Brown oversaw it therefore carries the can. Too often politicians view on this flip flops depending on which way the fingers are pointing.
  • Michael Russell’s message to Argyll
    I don’t think so. Mike Russell was Education Secretary when it was implemented however it is was actually developed before he was appointed (in fact it has been in development for 3 or 4 years before he was appointed).

So you are right that criticism, or credit, for the CfE shouldn’t be entirely placed at Mike Russell’s door.

If I recall (and please do correct me if I am wrong) it largely got cross party support. There were some criticisms by Labour and the Lib Dems about the level of funding being invested in it and maybe the process of implementation but none of them were opposed to it as a concept.

• With her government team completed, how will Nicola Sturgeon’s set do the job?
    The reshuffle was absolutely necessary and would have happened even if Salmond hadn’t stepped down.

Neill and McAskill have had poor 18 months and Russell has been sidelined by his own party throughout the independence referendum.

A new leader will always want to make changes and set their own tone and direction. Maybe a little unfortunate that the ministers in charge of three major areas have had a period of relatively poor performance as changing all three at once is quite substantial.

However the new postholders deserve an opportunity to prove themselves, or otherwise, before being judged. For Scotland’s sake I hope they do well. Within reason I don’t care what party is in power as long as they deliver sound policy and properly represent the whole country.

• Totty rocks as new FM elected at Holyrood
    Fair enough Jnrtick. I of course acknowledge that the lyrics taken in isolation are racist. What I mean is I think the context they are sung in means they are not meant as a racist jibe but as the sort of football rivalry banter that has gone on for decades.

I am no tolerated of racism, very far from it. I just think we should be careful about mixing up genuine hate/intolerance with something far less serious.

Football has not had to seek out its troubles over the years and I think it, largely, has done a good job cleaning up its act. However I wouldn’t want to over sanitize it.

• Totty rocks as new FM elected at Holyrood
    JnrTick

I am not clear if you were at the game or are basing this on what you heard on the tele. If it is based on what you heard on the tele then I think there needs to be a strong health warning over any claim that it was only English fans who were singing songs that could be classed as bile. What you hear on the tele when watching football games is entirely down to where the camera crews and microphones are located in the stadium.

You surely don’t for one second, believe that a few thousand England fans outsung 60,000 Scotland fans do you?

In reply to your other comment on this thread I think the reason it wasn’t reported in the papers is because it is a son that has been sung up and down the country by football fans for years. Some time using the word ‘Scottish Bastard’, just as often using the words ‘English Bastard’

It has never really been considered a racist chant regardless of whether it has been sung by English or Scottish fans and I suspect if we hadn’t just been through the referendum the singing of it on Tuesday wouldn’t have raised any eyebrows.

Whilst I acknowledge it is a somewhat coarse song (most football songs are!) I see it as football banter and not racism. I don’t think Scotland fans are racist when they sing it, nor do I think England fans are when they sing it.

37 Responses to Be interesting to see whether members choose to …

1. Helensburgh has rejected a supermarket on the pier three times in the past decade. How many more times do you need to hear it?

That being the case, the rest of your argument falls. I am beginning to think we need a For Helensburgh website, leaving you to concentrate on the old Argyll area where you are clearly better informed.

• It is about For Argyll itself, which in many respects I admire but which does not seem to have much of a clue about Helensburgh.

This morning at the hearing it was made clear, through various surveys, that thousands were in favour of Waitrose at Colgrain, and that there was a roughly 55-45 split against a pier supermarket.

Yet For Argyll has consistently claimed the opposite in both cases.

Today there is a huge attendance of Waitrose supporters and, so far, six objectors have put their heads above the parapet.

Interestingly, the only person booed this morning was the representative of Helensburgh Retailers Association.

If I was the editor of For Argyll, at this point I would be questioning the quality of the reporting.

2. For Argyll don’t seem to understand my area either. Folk here are still waiting to learn the membership make up of the Easdale Island charity, Eilean Eisdeal, and how the money was spent from the Scottish Gas Green Streets award. For Argyll claimed that this information should be in the public domain – so where is it? We seem to have been forgotten or FA aren’t interested in persuing this further. Perhaps they’re not bothered about the rights of folk here, or is it too political?

• Lowry – as you must know, we are a very small team with a huge amount of work to do and we cannot keep absolutely on top of everything.

We haven’t forgotten about this matter and we will be pursuing it.

You gave us a smile at the suggestion that this – or anything – might be ‘too political’ for us. Hardly our MO.

3. Copied from URTV’s Facebook page:

Final count is 693 letters of support to the council for Waitrose and 137 letters against, including a petition. There were also 7 miscellaneous letters.

4. Same source again – URTV:

The Council Planning Department and Waitrose have both spoken. The Planning Department say that the effects on the town centre could have been grossly underestimated by Waitrose’s retail impact survey and that they are maintaining that they recommend refusal of the application.

Waitrose still believe that the effects on the town centre will be negligible and they can mitigate them. Waitrose spokesperson, Martin Gorman, received a big round of applause for saying Helensburgh is crying out for a good quality food store.

5. I could be wrong. But I think they made an exception for Henry Bros at Colgrain, which was greenbelt outwith the local development plan. That seemed strange at the time. Probably a large brown envelope involved there.

6. From URTV again:

‎30 pro Waitrose representatives have spoken, including Councillor Vivien Dance and Community Councilman Nigel Harman. Now it’s over to the objectors.

7. We cope with bin collections once a week (or even fortnightly) so how about fancy supermarket visits once a week? – a Waitrose on a seagoing barge, serving the west coast – say from Helensburgh to Fort William, stopping off at Dunoon, Rothesay, Campbeltown, Oban, Fort William – and maybe Tobermory and Port Ellen alternate weeks. Just dreaming. At Helensburgh it would tie up at the pier, of course. The supermarket aisles would be cushioned with giant airbags to keep everything shipshape on passage, and maybe even giant gimbals would be effective.

8. Bruce Marshall has stated that he will support the application if a competent amendment can be brought forward. David Kinniburgh has stated that he will be doing the same. Robin Currie has stated that he hopes the application will be approved but the mitigation is insufficient. He is looking for an additional £420k in mitigation for various items. Neil McKay also looking to support it if an amendment can be put together but needs more mitigation.

9. Alex McNaughton has also confirmed his support along with Gordon Chalmers. It is now clear that it will be approved if a competent motion / amendment can be put together.
    Cllr McAlister has also indicated support along with Cllr Devon, Cllr McMillan and Cllr McQueen.

10. Pingback: Argyll News: RIP Helensburgh town centre: Waitrose out of town location approved | For Argyll

11. A long hot day, but full marks to the Helensburgh area public for their active participation.

The right result too, so long as Waitrose are not put off by the vastly increased ‘mitigation payment’.

On a wider stage, Government should be looking at how such payments, which are pure and simple bribery, could be regulated.

• I thought ‘mitigation’ in the context of a supermarket proposal meant meeting the cost of any extra roadworks, pedestrian crossings etc made necessary by the extra traffic generated by the development. I’d like to know if some councillors took a more elastic view of the meaning of the word.

12. I’m sure they won’t be put off by the mitigation payment. In all probability there will be negotiations over the purchase price between drum & waitrose. The application was made under two names – Waitrose & Wandering Wild (aka drum). It is highly likely that there is an agreement between drum and waitrose, where waitrose purchase the land subject to planning approval. This allows them to attach caveats re planning gain / mitigation payments. It will probably be drum who take a hit on the price. They’ll be aware that without planning approval their land is worthless. I actually think planning gain is a good thing. Just as long as it reaches the intended parties and not the council coffers, which sadly often happens.

13. I’d like to see the money used to directly improve the retailers units / frontages. I’ve attached a link to the merchant city initiative below, which completely transformed that area.
    I’m pleased Waitrose got their approval. Had Waitrose been rejected, then all that would have happened is a continuation of the current decline of the town centre. That decline is due to the apathy of a lot of shop keepers. Either the shopkeepers take this opportunity to get their fair share of mitigation money to improve the service that they provide. Or they sell up and allow the next generation of shopkeepers to take over. I’m sure like me, the majority of Helensburgh shoppers do not want to soley shop in Waitrose. To me the Waitrose development has always been about a high end outlet recognising the potential and wanting to invest in our town, which will hopefully be a catalyst for further investment in the town centre.