The sole responsibility for the repeated closures of …

Comment posted A83 to stay closed for now by Simon.

The sole responsibility for the repeated closures of this road lies with the SNP Government.

Simon also commented

• Robert. Whatever. :)
  • Thanks Robert. So after all your huff and puff – you’ve nothing to offer.

Fact remains though – the sole responsibility for the ongoing debacles at the Rest – lies solely with this SNP Government.

• Robert, as my teacher would have said – next time try answering the question….. ;)
  • PS Robert. Any idea why the SNP deserted their Leader on the Council and voted with Trick Dicky??
  • Blah blah blah Robert. How long have the SNP had to fix this? How many landslips on their watch?

They bailed out Edinburgh trams qucik enough – building a new Forth crossing…… zilch for Argyll in comparison :)

Recent comments by Simon

• Can anything address the disease in Argyll and Bute Council?
    Graeme, so that we are all clear on what you are proposing ‘The council would buy in the services it required from public service bureaux’ this is the further privatisation of council services is it not?
  • Castle Toward community ownership bid issues pursued
    I don’t know about anyone else but if I was asking for a one million pound reduction on an independent valuation price I think I might be trying to get alongside the sellers and understand their problems and their real difficulties rather than trying to publicly embarrass them with allegations.

As I’ve said elsewhere this ‘attack dog’ policy is misguided, badly advised and surely can only be counter-productive. A project with significant potential might just wither on the vine because the increasingly politicised and polarised handling of this matter. I’ve also said previously that this decision is not an easy ask (Dick Walsh refers obliquely to just some of the difficulties)and that this group would be far better trying to understand and help resolve those problems instead of naively trying to publicly pressurise and embarrass individual councillors.

On a very human level I must confess that if I was a councillor on the receiving end of manufactured emails and personal attacks I would be disinclined to give the group responsible my support.

• An unexpected pairing to email in Day 8′s Save Castle Toward Advent Calendar
    In the event the council did sell the property at £1 million below valuation what would happen if(despite all the cosy assurances and claims that ‘it makes sound economic sense’) the project fails? What happens then? What happens to the property? Does it revert to the Council? Or, is it sold at a knockdown price to pay off debts?
  • Castle Toward: Councillor Breslin asks straight questions of Council Leader Walsh
    Aral. Are these jobs guaranteed? What if the project fails – does the property come back to us the council taxpayer? Can the council even give away a property valued at £1.75 million for £750k? What other project anywhere in Argyll has received this level of subsidy?

I’m not being anti the local group but there are some serious questions here that need answered. And indulging in childish stunts or making personal attacks does NOTHING to advance their cause – neither does suggesting that I’m employed by ABC – I’m not.

I do however have genuine concerns about this project and as a council tax-payer being asked to subsidise this group to the tune of £1 million I would ask – would everyone who backs them agree to underwrite the losses in the event the project fails?

Would you Aral?

I’ve already said I’m not involved with the council – are you involved directly/indirectly with the project Aral?

I’m a neutral observer in this – are you?

I posted this on another article and feel it is still relevant.

‘If ownership rather than lease is so important for their business plan then should they (the local group) not be concentrating their efforts on raising the money to pay the valuation determined by the District Valuer? Or appealing the valuation?

That’s would seem to be a more constructive route than pushing this cheap gimmick of an ‘advent calendar’. A gimmick that does absolutely nothing to promote their case and quite obviously is nothing more than a blunt attempt to pressurise councillors.

I don’t know who advised them to take this approach but it seems to be spectacularly inept and this orchestrated gimmick might yet prove to be counter-productive. Of course, the fact that it is being promoted by Newsie of this blog will of course do absolutely nothing to help their case

If this group are serious about their project then surely they require to treat councillors equally seriously? They need to understand their position. They need to understand that a) even if the group had a cast-iron case this request of theirs is not easy to agree to and b) regardless of what it takes, they would be far better using their time to develop a more effective working relationship with the council and councillors rather than promoting such a childish stunt.

Granting a group a discount of a £1 million is not a trivial matter and they are being silly beyond belief if they think otherwise’.

I would only add that I’m also a Council tax payer, that is one of those who are paying the £20,000 per month to keep Toward Castle (valued at £1.75 million)secure. I am appalled at the attempts of some to reduce, what is a very difficult decision, to a personal attack on individual councillors within the Council.

It seems that this issue has been engineered to become a political ‘hot potato’.

Who benefits from that?? The local group????

22 Responses to The sole responsibility for the repeated closures of …

1. Pingback: Argyll News: Today’s travel updates | For Argyll

2. ‘They can detect movement but of course they cannot stop it’
    This is exactly why this route has to be upgraded to cope with movement, and until this is done the government is likely to be seen as increasingly useless.

3. I see that ForArgyll is saying that the rest will be closed until tomorrow but the Transport Scotland site just says it will be closed “Foreseeable future. Further information will be posted as it becomes available”, which bears out my point in a previous post! Where do you get your information from? Regardless of any plans to resolve the problems at the Rest just being able to access up to date information from the official source would make my life easier!

The same thing applied during the recent power outages. The information provided by the power companies was woeful and what information they did provide was inaccurate or out of date. I would have been happy to have been told that the power would probably be off for 5 days – at least we could have planned ahead rather than simply sitting around waiting!

• No, Simon, the ‘sole responsibility’ lies with a whole succession of administrations stretching back to the colonial days before the Holyrood government – landslips and rockfalls are nothing new on this road.

• “the colonial days before the Holyrood government”
        I, and I should think most proud Scots, find it deeply insulting that you, Robert, should imply that our country was ever a colony (of England I presume?).
        The implications of calling Scotland a colony besmearches the honour of our ancestors.
        I was born and brought up in a British colony in The West Indies, of an old Scottish plantation family. I know exactly what a colony is. Scotland was never a colony.

• W.S.: I appreciate and understand your horror, but the fact is that – pre-Holyrood – Scotland was latterly governed by one person who from recollection was responsible for the full range of central government ministerial functions save foreign policy and defence. There seemed to me to be a distinct whiff of colonialism about that arrangement.

4. Blah blah blah Robert. How long have the SNP had to fix this? How many landslips on their watch?

• The trouble is, Simon, there’s obviously no really rapid ‘fix’; it does seem that work has started on developing a realistic strategy to fix it, and what should be a mystery is why it wasn’t initiated at least a decade ago.
      But it’s not a mystery, given the astonishing neglect of the nearby A82 between Tarbet and Ardlui, and I can remember just how bad the traffic problems were allowed to get before the same road was rebuilt from the Vale of Leven up to Tarbet. There seems to be a British cultural mindset that puts infrastructure on the back burner, especially in an area that many national politicians might have perceived as irrelevant to their greater glory and prosperity. Don’t start me on Edinburgh trams – a very worthwhile project that would have been straightforward elsewhere in Europe but somehow got utterly mishandled in Scotland.

• It could get to the stage (if it hasn’t already) that the BBC 5-day weather forecast becomes essental reading to assess whether the road to Glasgow is likely to be usable or not.
      It’s one thing for ferries to be regularly disrupted by bad weather, but for this road to suffer likewise would be intolerable.

• The trouble is Simon, you’re not my teacher, the council’s got little or nothing to do with the landslide problems at the Rest, and regarding the way councillors voted on something I know no more than you and so can offer no enlightenment. You could try asking your teacher.

5. Thanks Robert. So after all your huff and puff – you’ve nothing to offer.

• Correction, Simon, ‘rests with the inaction of successive governments’ – not like you to let anyone off the hook, is it? And if you want to conflate this problem with other issues, perhaps we’ll eventually be subjected to the ‘final solution’ of you rolling all your various concerns into one huge rambling question to be addressed to all and sundry on whatever threads come to hand irrespective of relevance? – you could get an endless series of non-answers to make hay with.

• How does Simon manage to come across as one of those people you meet in the pub who is just looking for an argument? About anything! We’ve all met them. Usually you just drink up and go somewhere else to get away from them. Next day you hear that somebody punched his lights out.

6. What a load of pointless political hot air. I have yet to see any political hot air which isn’t pointless mark you. It rained violently. The problematic mountain shifted again. Nobody’s fault – in fact, really bad luck considering the stabilisation job was pretty good. It is a real problem but they are looking at permanent solutions. Good. End of.

7. The BBC 5 Day weather forecast is not always accurate. It did not forecast the storms on 3rd January 2012 until the last minute. The best forecast to use is magicseaweed.com with has seperate charts for wind and pressure for the next 180 hours ( seven and a half days).