Comment posted Revised plans announced for new Kintyre creamery by kintyre1.
Unfortunately you have chosen to misrepresent the facts and instead turn to character assasination , how very sad .
kintyre1 also commented
- Figures out this week show that the number of dairy farms +COWS is at an all time low in Scotland .
4000 dairy cows in Kintyre & Gigha and falling , where not so long ago there were 6500 . FACTS .
- I am interested to see John in Kintyre talk of a £2million pound investment by the Scottish Gov and First Milk . My understanding and no doubt john will correct me if I am mistaken , is that up to 2 million pounds of European grant funding to be delivered by the Scottish Government is available for this project which begs the question , how much are First Milk contributing ?
My position on the Creamery is that I have serious doubts about it’s long term sustainability , with or without this investment and that I would prefer to see government take a more rounded view of development in Kintyre and agriculture in particular given that the present strategy is based on the Creamery and dairying only with grant funding poured into the milk sector and other farmers and their projects left with a few crumbs of support or none at all in many cases. In summary don’t put all your eggs in one shaky basket .
- Hughie can you explain why milk is being tankered in to Campbeltown Creamery at huge cost ?
- If the number of producers is unimportant , why do the Scottish Government and First Milk put such emphasis on the number ? Could it be that they realise without a critical number of producers there is no infrastructure to support farmers eg vets ,feed merchants , dairy engineers etc
- Producers can be “committed and dedicated” one day and dead the next . It is clear from recent farm sales that no one is willing to come to Kintyre and take on a dairy farm , little wonder when producers here receive one of the poorest milk prices in Europe and have some of the highest costs .
Recent comments by kintyre1
- South Kintyre artist’s studio shortlisted in 2016 Structural Awards
Can Clachan really be considered to be in South Kintyre ?
- SNP Council Group strategically target attack on new independent councillor for Oban North & Lorn
“Our current MSP does a superb job ” Are you serious ? Michael Russell MSP does not even work full time as our MSP . Campbeltown hospital has seen the number of beds decimated by the SNP and he has never once had anything to say about this outrageous situation … I could give you many more examples of his failure to oppose our SNP masters .
- Musical chairs again at Machrihanish wind tower plant – with new owner, new investment, possible new major contract and possible hike in jobs
I completely agree with Robert , this is good new for the local area , but how right he is to warn of the dangers of being so reliant on one major employer . Tourism should be getting the same level of support and a new strategy for farming in the area drawn up with prospects outside the EU very concerning.
- HIE’s Argyll & Bute transport study published
Surely one of the most beneficial road improvements in Argyll would be the stretch between Tarbert and Ardrishaig ? This road is unfit for the 21st Century and is holding back tourism and other economic activity in Kintyre , Islay and Mid Argyll .
Why our councillors representing Islay,Jura,Gigha,Kintyre and Mid Argyll can’t work together to force improvement is beyond belief .
Our MSP and MP could usefully apply pressure too if they truly had the interests of their constituents at heart .
- Conservatives call for guarantee on CAP payments to avoid £125m in EU fines on Scotland
Complete incompetence from the SNP , too busy trying to break up the country it appears .
powered by SEO Super Comments
Argyll · brand · campbeltown · cheese making · Councillor John Semple · creamery · dairy farming · EC · First Milk · Funding · kintyre · Mull of Kintyre · new creamery · Scottish Government · Tesco site