Comment posted Revised plans announced for new Kintyre creamery by kintyre1.
If the number of producers is unimportant , why do the Scottish Government and First Milk put such emphasis on the number ? Could it be that they realise without a critical number of producers there is no infrastructure to support farmers eg vets ,feed merchants , dairy engineers etc
kintyre1 also commented
- Figures out this week show that the number of dairy farms +COWS is at an all time low in Scotland .
4000 dairy cows in Kintyre & Gigha and falling , where not so long ago there were 6500 . FACTS .
- I am interested to see John in Kintyre talk of a £2million pound investment by the Scottish Gov and First Milk . My understanding and no doubt john will correct me if I am mistaken , is that up to 2 million pounds of European grant funding to be delivered by the Scottish Government is available for this project which begs the question , how much are First Milk contributing ?
My position on the Creamery is that I have serious doubts about it’s long term sustainability , with or without this investment and that I would prefer to see government take a more rounded view of development in Kintyre and agriculture in particular given that the present strategy is based on the Creamery and dairying only with grant funding poured into the milk sector and other farmers and their projects left with a few crumbs of support or none at all in many cases. In summary don’t put all your eggs in one shaky basket .
- Hughie can you explain why milk is being tankered in to Campbeltown Creamery at huge cost ?
- Unfortunately you have chosen to misrepresent the facts and instead turn to character assasination , how very sad .
- Producers can be “committed and dedicated” one day and dead the next . It is clear from recent farm sales that no one is willing to come to Kintyre and take on a dairy farm , little wonder when producers here receive one of the poorest milk prices in Europe and have some of the highest costs .
Recent comments by kintyre1
- McGrigor calls on RMT to stop Friday strike against Calmac amidst fears for vital tourism economy
Has part time MSP Mike Russell nothing to say on the issue ?
What of Brendan O’Hara MP ? Does he know where some of the islands in Argyll & Bute are ?
- Scottish Greens shoot both wings of support
The Greens were split on the subject of independence with retired MSP Robin Harper strongly opposed .
- Concert pianist Catherine Nardiello in free concert in Lochgair
Looks like a great deal as the concert at Easdale in August is £6 a ticket .
- Russell’s remaining questions on Castle Toward
Meanwhile our health service crashes from crisis to crisis , our school standards are falling , our train services are cut back , ferry services are in disarray and the employment prospects in Argyll & Bute deteriorate alarmingly….
- Argyll at risk of losing dairy sector as First Milk culls milk price to lowest level ever
Factually inaccurate to claim First Milk are the only milk buyers in Argyll & Bute , Inverloch Cheese Company buy milk . Also untrue to say milk is at an all time low price to farmers . Never mind our local councillors have decided to fly the saltire so all will be well …..
powered by SEO Super Comments