Comment posted Revised plans announced for new Kintyre creamery by kintyre1.
Morag can you explain why milk is being tankered into Kintyre everyday if as you claim there is as much milk as there was when there were 100 producers ?
Can you further tell us how many dairy cows there are in Kintyre now compared to a few years ago ,
and while you are about it tell us why Campbeltown cheese is being sold in Lidl supermarkets at a knock down price when it is claimed to be a premium product .
kintyre1 also commented
- Figures out this week show that the number of dairy farms +COWS is at an all time low in Scotland .
4000 dairy cows in Kintyre & Gigha and falling , where not so long ago there were 6500 . FACTS .
- I am interested to see John in Kintyre talk of a £2million pound investment by the Scottish Gov and First Milk . My understanding and no doubt john will correct me if I am mistaken , is that up to 2 million pounds of European grant funding to be delivered by the Scottish Government is available for this project which begs the question , how much are First Milk contributing ?
My position on the Creamery is that I have serious doubts about it’s long term sustainability , with or without this investment and that I would prefer to see government take a more rounded view of development in Kintyre and agriculture in particular given that the present strategy is based on the Creamery and dairying only with grant funding poured into the milk sector and other farmers and their projects left with a few crumbs of support or none at all in many cases. In summary don’t put all your eggs in one shaky basket .
- Hughie can you explain why milk is being tankered in to Campbeltown Creamery at huge cost ?
- Unfortunately you have chosen to misrepresent the facts and instead turn to character assasination , how very sad .
- If the number of producers is unimportant , why do the Scottish Government and First Milk put such emphasis on the number ? Could it be that they realise without a critical number of producers there is no infrastructure to support farmers eg vets ,feed merchants , dairy engineers etc
Recent comments by kintyre1
- Insights for Argyll and the Isles in CalMac’s annual carrying figures
Previous information, though I’m not sure of the source , suggested a start date of Friday 4th April 2014 for the Ardrossan – Campbeltown route ,I have it written in my diary , now the date is confirmed as 1st May 2014 .
To state the residents of Campbeltown agreed to the present timetable is stretching matters . The townspeople were informed the same timetable was operating again this year , who was consulted about it is a mystery though local councillors would be involved , surely ?
Regardless of these shortcomings , there is no doubting the benefit to the area of the extra visitors and it would be churlish not to acknowledge the ferry is good for Kintyre and is a valuable asset which can grow in importance , witness nearly 3/4 million passengers carried to Arran .
- UK response to the Russia-Crimea situation: selfies, posturing and dangerous old hat
Every story carried in the mainstream media about Russia is a negative one .
- Testing A83 Emergency Diversion – passed with distinction
That is dreadful news for all those who have to travel between 7.30pm and 7am and unacceptable to many people travelling the long distance from Kintyre .
- Oban South and the Isles to ready for by-election as Councillor Hall stands down
I applaud Fred Hall for recognising the damage done to our justice system by the SNP and for having the courage to force a by-election .
However , re electing a disillusioned SNP is unlikely to be in the best interests of Ward 4 as we have seen time and again how nationalist councillors slip in and out of the SNP as it suits them .
Only yesterday I was hearing on ArgyllFM’s magazine show how united the SNP are …. yes seriously !
- Campbeltown Picture House appoints design team
Excellent news , the transparency is so welcome and a complete contrast to the largely secret workings of the Machrihanish Airbase Community Company .
powered by SEO Super Comments