Thanks Jim happy to be corrected . …

Comment posted on Oban’s annual fireworks display peaks too soon by Cllr Roddy Mcuish

Thanks Jim happy to be corrected .

Cllr Roddy Mcuish also commented

• I am pleased to say Pyro 1 will provide a spectacular display across Oban bay for the whole town to see on the final night of the winter festival Sunday November 27th . This of course will be free of charge. All moneys raised on Friday night will go towards next years display. If anyone requires any more deatails they can call me on 01631 567142 anytime . Thanks for all the support, the media interest has been fantastic and can only be good for Oban
  • I would like to thank everone for their understanding regarding last nights breif but spectacular display. The company have been in touch and cannot apologise enough for the malfunction setting of £6k worth of fireworks in less than a minute.They are keen to come back to Oban as soon as possible to put on a display everyone will remember. What better than a spectacular end to the winter festival. Ihave mentioned this to the company and should have and answer soon .I will try and have this in a more central location allowing everyone to enjoy the display . This of course will be free of charge to all . Thanks to everyone once again for being so understanding we will all do our best to rectify this as soon as possible

Recent comments by Cllr Roddy Mcuish

• Council now deploys online ‘Spy Accounts’ in covert surveillance of local critics
    Dear Obanite

You say (they are all lining their pockets and are taking back handers )I can assure you i have done neither. Can you please post any evidence or indeed rumour that i have?

Roddy

• Louise Glen-Lee wins Oban North and Lorn by election
    Dear North Argyll
    I dont have any constituents in Dunbeg. Although Iwas born there many years ago. I represent the other ward and that does not include Dunbeg. What is wrong with a bit of style ,what other public comments can i help you with,that you could not stomach. You can give me a call on 01631 567142 to discuss if you like.
  • Louise Glen-Lee wins Oban North and Lorn by election
    I have more relations than the poor Lib Dem got in votes . I must say he is a very nice man Congratulations Louise,also to all the candidates for a good fair By- Election. Thats the way it should be
  • Serious situation at Oban Fire Station
    Sorry about the spelling mistakes Trying to watch the foot ball and type.
  • Serious situation at Oban Fire Station
    Linnhe . Ihave been on this band wagon for quite a while . Unfortunately the local paper the O. B. Times did not print the story. The only opportunity i had to comment in public was when it appearred on For Argyll . I also pride my self in knowing what is going on in my community if i dont belive you me they soon tell me. It is a pity you could not support the firefighters named instead of seeing this as an opportunity to have a go at councillors

30 Responses to Thanks Jim happy to be corrected . …

1. I would like to thank everone for their understanding regarding last nights breif but spectacular display. The company have been in touch and cannot apologise enough for the malfunction setting of £6k worth of fireworks in less than a minute.They are keen to come back to Oban as soon as possible to put on a display everyone will remember. What better than a spectacular end to the winter festival. Ihave mentioned this to the company and should have and answer soon .I will try and have this in a more central location allowing everyone to enjoy the display . This of course will be free of charge to all . Thanks to everyone once again for being so understanding we will all do our best to rectify this as soon as possible

2. I’m on the other side of the country and this is spreading like wildfire across Facebook.

Oban will probably gain millions on pounds’ worth of free PR as a result. In fact, promise to do the same next year and we’ll come to stay.

It was a good old-fashioned cock-up and is putting smiles on faces.

Enjoy it!

• Whats the fuss ,these things do happen, and is almost instantly forgiveable, and if Roddy and co can get them back soon for a freebie then even better.

3. Pingback: The fastest fireworks ever! « this fragile tent

4. I’ve just returned from Barcaldine’s community firework display. Although a more modest affair than Oban’s I’m glad to say that it did not suffer from premature detonation.

Thanks to all those who worked on it and all who came along on the night.

5. Well reading this has made me aware of Oban Winter Festival in any case! We were planning a trip to the West coast so now have another option to think about! :)

6. Reminds me of my youth – lob a couple of boxes of Brocks on the bonfire and run for cover. Well done Oban, a spectacular display to be celebrated!

7. For Anne Baird: Who wouldn’t?

A spectacularly beautiful ‘disaster’ like this will be a talking point for years – revived every Bonfire Night.

People everywhere will have come to know of Oban – in a light hearted and sympathetic way – and everyone will personally feel envious of those who were actually there.

It’s a positive triumph.

8. I am pleased to say Pyro 1 will provide a spectacular display across Oban bay for the whole town to see on the final night of the winter festival Sunday November 27th . This of course will be free of charge. All moneys raised on Friday night will go towards next years display. If anyone requires any more deatails they can call me on 01631 567142 anytime . Thanks for all the support, the media interest has been fantastic and can only be good for Oban

9. Hi Roddy, Just watched the display on the national news. It was brilliant but could you try and stretch it out to two minutes next time? It certainly has achieved more publicity for Oban than the CHORD project and at only a fraction of the cost.

I was told that it was also to celebrate the well deserved election of Louise. It was certainly a lot better than the campaign by the ConDemAll candidates that ended up a bit of a damp squib!!!

Keep up the good work for the community Roddy.

10. Don’t feel bad about it. It’s happened many times before. In Oxford at a public display I was at 20 years ago a lit firework went into a huge wooden crate that contained all the fireworks and they all went off at once. Fantastic display! Had to keep your head down, though.

11. What a brilliant cock-up and what a great attitude from the locals making positive comments! Makes a refreshing change, and says a lot about your community- well done to you all!

Cllr Mcuish and Pyro1 might have blown six grands of fireworks in 1 minute but have probably pulled off the biggest accidental publicity stunt in the towns history.

12. I’m watching this with much interest from Australia and chuckling along. Good for you guys for taking it all in good humour, and great for getting another display!

I suspect you might have a theme for next years’ fireworks – the worlds’ shortest firework display! Get in the Guinness book of records? Perhaps put it to a vote? It could be your point of difference!

13. Great reactions from around the world and a bonus display to come at the end of the month!Guy Fawkes would have been proud.
    Talk about plucking triumph from disaster!

And the dismal Jimmies seem to have been silenced for a while.