Comment posted Castle Toward campaigner challenges Russell to defend Scottish Government decision by Simon.
How about Chris Fergusson mentioned at the top of the article. Could he clarify matters for us all? Or as “doc” suggested could Newsie?
Simon also commented
- Integrity – I’m talking about the situation under Strathclyde – but I recognise it does go back beyond that.
- Integrity – You are correct but I think that the Garelochhead centre belonged to Dunbartonshire. Toward, Ardentinny and Achnamara centres were Glasgow/Renfrew and Arrochar was Dunbartonshire as well. Fife also had a centre at Lochgoilhead and may still have a centre at Benmore(?).
- Jane the real difficulty with Achnamara and Castel Toward etc is that the majority of them were not designed to be used as outdoor centres. Rather they were converted rambling country houses that had been ‘adapted’. When big Council subsidised them (Argyll and Bute to the best of my knowledge never had an outdoor cenre) they worked a) because fo the subsidy and b) because kids will put up with less than salubrious conditiions.
When the subsidy is removed it is extremely difficult for these centres to continue to function economically. Should a private buyer take over they will find they need to spend magbucks to ‘reconvert’ the building.
I’ve been in Achnamara a few times – lovely centre in a lovely setting. Achnamara and other places like it are the result of cuts in public expenditure; regarded sadly as expendable.
- “doc” Having had a look at the website (seems last entry was in 2010) it pains me to say so, but AGAIN, we are in agreement (well partial agreement at least…)
There is a lack of clarity about the various bodies mentioned and I can’t be the one who remains unclear about the relationship between Actual reality and the Castle Toward Trust.
I don’t know (but thought it was) if Actual Reality is a private company – or as you suggest a community business. (the key question here is ‘what does Actual Reality do with it’s profits?)
What is the relationship between the Trust, Actual Reality and the South Cowal Community?
- Thanks “doc”.
Recent comments by Simon
- ONE VOTE for democracy and the freedom to be different
So, the tactical voting dartboard re-appears for the third(is it only the third) time. Different words but the same old song.
“Lin Dems certainly appear to be the only option for anyone who is not a nationalist.” Well I’m no nationalist but I would rather have a heart attack than vote Lib-Dems (please note it is Lib Dems not ‘Lin Dems’).
The ONLY people who can realistically ensure there is a challenge to the Tory/UKIP hegemony are the SNP.
The Lib Dems are the creeps that kept the Tories in power, helped ensure an austerity agenda and lied about tuition fees. Little alan reid is of course an irrelevance.
- Oban lifeboat on a shout to another grounded yacht
Longshanks ‘This site is becoming notorious for its ignorance on all matters’.
There, fixed that for you.
- Scottish Conservatives demand SNP publish figures on impact of full fiscal autonomy
This is rich coming from Tories considering they won’t give details of their proposed £12 Billion welfare cuts until after the election.
- Quarriers who put Easdale Island on the map may do so again
“since then discussions have been ongoing with the island owner… and members of the community”.
Would it be tempting fate to ask which members of the community?
Or can we now expect the usual suspects to come on bleating and whining about the island trust, OSCR, Audit Scotland, the Council, Mike McKenzie, the Puffer Bar and the boatman that was allegedly hounded out of his job……
- Chair of VisitScotland a member of HIAL board – with no marketing of unique flight experiences
Graeme, the point of the post was that Newsie is the self-proclaimed ‘expert’ on everything. The choice of article was co-incidental. The article could quite easily have been about, the Tarbert-Crianlarich road, The SNP and their alleged drive towards National Socialism, the Cooncil, Named Persons, the Cooncil, Castle Toward, Alex Salmond, National Parks, the Cooncil, the Oil industry, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
powered by SEO Super Comments