Comment posted Castle Toward campaigner challenges Russell to defend Scottish Government decision by Simon.
How about Chris Fergusson mentioned at the top of the article. Could he clarify matters for us all? Or as “doc” suggested could Newsie?
Simon also commented
- Integrity – I’m talking about the situation under Strathclyde – but I recognise it does go back beyond that.
- Integrity – You are correct but I think that the Garelochhead centre belonged to Dunbartonshire. Toward, Ardentinny and Achnamara centres were Glasgow/Renfrew and Arrochar was Dunbartonshire as well. Fife also had a centre at Lochgoilhead and may still have a centre at Benmore(?).
- Jane the real difficulty with Achnamara and Castel Toward etc is that the majority of them were not designed to be used as outdoor centres. Rather they were converted rambling country houses that had been ‘adapted’. When big Council subsidised them (Argyll and Bute to the best of my knowledge never had an outdoor cenre) they worked a) because fo the subsidy and b) because kids will put up with less than salubrious conditiions.
When the subsidy is removed it is extremely difficult for these centres to continue to function economically. Should a private buyer take over they will find they need to spend magbucks to ‘reconvert’ the building.
I’ve been in Achnamara a few times – lovely centre in a lovely setting. Achnamara and other places like it are the result of cuts in public expenditure; regarded sadly as expendable.
- “doc” Having had a look at the website (seems last entry was in 2010) it pains me to say so, but AGAIN, we are in agreement (well partial agreement at least…)
There is a lack of clarity about the various bodies mentioned and I can’t be the one who remains unclear about the relationship between Actual reality and the Castle Toward Trust.
I don’t know (but thought it was) if Actual Reality is a private company – or as you suggest a community business. (the key question here is ‘what does Actual Reality do with it’s profits?)
What is the relationship between the Trust, Actual Reality and the South Cowal Community?
- Thanks “doc”.
Recent comments by Simon
- CKD Galbraith say new tax and support proposals create minefield for sporting businesses
The abolition of NDR for estates was I understand only introduced by their Tory pals in 1994. If as Newsie says “to place these estates on the negative list for support through the Common Agricultural Policy will create a minefield of uncertainty for sporting businesses and mixed estates”, the I’m quite sure their tax advisers will clarify matters for them.
The squealing from the well-heeled has begun. Expect the press-release from the very vested interests group Scottish Land and Estates any day now.
Personally I welcome the abolition of NDR for these estates. And, I would welcome also the abolition of rates relief for private schools. It is an abomination that these private schools, operating as a charities, get automatic rates relief and can qualify for further discretionary rates relief, whilst local authority schools all have to pay rates.
In both instances it’s a case of the rich oiks looking after their own.
- Time to stop to think – as the cult sweeps into Campbeltown
What utter drivel you are reduced to producing Newsie. Opinionated dross disguised as comment and camouflaged by crap.
Can’t wait for the inevitable comments on the Land Reform Bill and your obsequious, toe-curling, lickspittle defence of the landed gentry of the Scottish Land and Estates. Cutting their NDR relief shock horror!
- Gigha community ownership on brink of failure
Newsie’s ‘views and opinions’ fit neatly into the ‘radical turned conservative in later life’ scenario – the once-pretend-right-on-radical who with age, weight and income those self-same views of hers have become – establishment, sterile, withered, barren, bleak and predictably Tory.
I sincerely hope Andy doesn’t sue – after all NOBODY takes the Ould Biddy seriously anymore….
- In a party for whom 84,000 members are not enough for candidate selection, will Hosie’s elevation curtail Salmond’s ambitions?
To get back to the topic – does this mean that people who have been expelled from the SNP, ie local councillors here in A&B, are able to stand again? And, with the support of the SNP?
- Stramash award underlines sense of company’s big investment decision
Well done Stramash and I hope this expansion works out for them. However, I surely cannot be the only one to find it rather strange that Newsie and FA have almost completely ignored the rural parliament meeting in Oban this week. Maybe she couldn’t get press accreditation here either.
powered by SEO Super Comments