Comment posted Castle Toward campaigner challenges Russell to defend Scottish Government decision by Simon.
How about Chris Fergusson mentioned at the top of the article. Could he clarify matters for us all? Or as “doc” suggested could Newsie?
Simon also commented
- Integrity – I’m talking about the situation under Strathclyde – but I recognise it does go back beyond that.
- Integrity – You are correct but I think that the Garelochhead centre belonged to Dunbartonshire. Toward, Ardentinny and Achnamara centres were Glasgow/Renfrew and Arrochar was Dunbartonshire as well. Fife also had a centre at Lochgoilhead and may still have a centre at Benmore(?).
- Jane the real difficulty with Achnamara and Castel Toward etc is that the majority of them were not designed to be used as outdoor centres. Rather they were converted rambling country houses that had been ‘adapted’. When big Council subsidised them (Argyll and Bute to the best of my knowledge never had an outdoor cenre) they worked a) because fo the subsidy and b) because kids will put up with less than salubrious conditiions.
When the subsidy is removed it is extremely difficult for these centres to continue to function economically. Should a private buyer take over they will find they need to spend magbucks to ‘reconvert’ the building.
I’ve been in Achnamara a few times – lovely centre in a lovely setting. Achnamara and other places like it are the result of cuts in public expenditure; regarded sadly as expendable.
- “doc” Having had a look at the website (seems last entry was in 2010) it pains me to say so, but AGAIN, we are in agreement (well partial agreement at least…)
There is a lack of clarity about the various bodies mentioned and I can’t be the one who remains unclear about the relationship between Actual reality and the Castle Toward Trust.
I don’t know (but thought it was) if Actual Reality is a private company – or as you suggest a community business. (the key question here is ‘what does Actual Reality do with it’s profits?)
What is the relationship between the Trust, Actual Reality and the South Cowal Community?
- Thanks “doc”.
Recent comments by Simon
- Fundamental lack of ambition to earn in independence prospectus
Richard “Meddling in International politics is much more important,”.
In 1981 Glasgow City Council awarded Nelson Mandela the freedom of the City of Glasgow – nine years before he was released from prison. The council also renamed St George’s Place as Nelson Mandela Place in 1986 which was highly significant as this then became the address of the South African Consulate, which was based there.
Sometimes making the gesture IS important.
- Andrew Argyle: Yes campaign impaled on currency
Since everybody is on about Plan Bs – what’s RUK’s Plan B for Trident should Scotland vote ‘Yes’?
- Mull’s Ulva Ferry community to have two affordable homes to rent and a plot to buy
Ulva Ferry are to be applauded for being so pro-active in rural regeneration. Grass roots involvement is the only way forward.
- Managed protest at Pacific Quay shames pro-indy campaign
I don’t think people are moaning Richard – but let’s be honest here somebody has blatantly lied about the ‘smoke’.
Do you not think we should find who lied? And why?
After all it was it not the MOD/Telegraph and For Argyll that thought it was a bit of a big deal in the first place?
So I say again – who lied? And why?
- No nationalist politicisation of the Games?
Richard “What is the big deal about what smoke the Royal Airforce Aerobatic team use?”
Well, if its no big deal why not agree with ceremony’s producers and use the colours of the host country (Scotland) Blue and White?
After all and despite the nonsense claimed above there is plenty of photographic evidence that the Red Arrows have trailed many colours – including a staggeringly successful St Georges Cross!
Somebody has lied here. And despite neurotic Newsie’s nasty interpretation it ain’t those who will vote for independence,.
powered by SEO Super Comments